Pumapeople: vibrating steering wheel + knocking noise! - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

vibrating steering wheel + knocking noise!

#1 User is offline   blackpool_puma 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:47 PM

hi,

i've got a puma with a couple of problems.

firstly theres a knocking noise which i believe is coming from the front wheel type area but cannot be sure, secondly when i let go of the steering wheel it vibrates/shakes. Not drastically but enough for me to know something aint right.

thought it might have been suspension issue but the knocking noise doesn't occur when going over speed bumps etc.

the car doesn't pull either.

i've had 2 suggestions, 1 being track rod ends? or the steering rack. mate of mine suggested these, we located what we think is the track rod ends on each side and they can be moved (which in turn causes a knock).

are the track rod ends supposed to be able to be moved??. just want some advice before i go to a mechanic because i don't trust em!!

thanks.

#2 User is offline   David 

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:54 PM

I believe knocking is caused by worn suspension bushes? Is it only when you turn quite sharply?
As for the wobble, check your tyre pressures first, then could be tracking maybe or possibly warped brake discs.
David - Clio Trophy now sold! Megane R26 on the way - ETA March 1st 2008.
Ex-FRS #2787 - Ex-FRP #383

#3 Guest_Cooler King_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:55 PM

try6 pumaspeed, not too far really from you, give them a ring and they maybe able to give you more of an idea just over the phone!!! ;-)

noticed you in blackpool, there are 2 meets coming up in blackpool if your interested!!! ;-)

#4 User is offline   istvan24 

Posted 18 October 2004 - 05:50 PM

Or it could be a slightly buckled wheel - the prop alloys do buckle quite easily - one of mine needs a soft hammer taking to it to make it round again, unless someone wants to sell me a set of ST170 alloys??!

I get steering wheel vibration at 60 - 70 mph and the front right corner of the car vibrates some. She still drives and brakes perfectly straight though. Could be this. Work out if one corner in particular is vibrating and take the corresponding wheel off - its easier to see if it is buckled from the inside of the wheel.

...must get mine sorted when I get the service done...
This week, I shall mostly be driving my shiny Scooby Impreza Classic like a muppet :D

#5 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 18 October 2004 - 05:56 PM

All 4 of mine are buckled so don't worry about 1!!!
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   blackpool_puma 

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:05 PM

thanks for the responces.

it only happens when i'm doing 20-30+mph and not when turning so think bushs can be ruled out.

I have put a new wheel on recently but had it balanced and checked pressure and the vibrating wheel still persists

just a bit worried it might be the steering rack coz ive heard its a dear job???

as for the meet, yeah let me know the date!!

#7 Guest_Cooler King_*

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:09 PM

20th of november for the lights and 20th of dec for the christmas party, all the info is on here somewhere! if you fancy a meet tommorrow, theres one half way up the m62!!! ;-)

#8 User is offline   ktadturner 

Posted 20 October 2004 - 03:17 PM

:cry: my steering rack failed at 110000 miles..didnt realise at the time it would be so expensive...fortunately Pumabuild had one off a car they were breaking...so not so bad in the end, and newer rack handles so much better, just like when car was new

#9 Guest_Cooler King_*

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:23 PM

how much did it cost you for that6 then???

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic