Pumapeople: My Turn To Attempt The Challenging - Pumapeople

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Turn To Attempt The Challenging beating the rust, my progress thread Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Thanks to you though Warren for pointing out to treat that area. I was surpised by the rust found there, so any treatment is better than none.
Still got bits to go though, I have quite a list even with what has been done:
Rear beam
4 wheel arches
Front wishbones
Road side of petrol tank
Inner rear arches from interior strip
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#82 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

If the weather is sunny tomorrow I will try to take pictures of the brakes front and rear as fitted.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#83 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

Been out today bedding the brakes in, after an initial lumping 20 minutes where the car was over idling and felt a bit flat, it all picked up and she was very revvy and punchy again. The idle also settled back to normal.
Having had a big service, lots of items changed plus being not driven for 2 months I was not surprised.
Brakes need a smal bleed just to finish off the initial bite feel then all sorted.
In the next month or so will sort out a rolling road run just to see what mine delivers and whether still holding up to 153BHP with being a 9 year old car.

Rear brakes fitted

Front brakes fitted

#84 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

Looking good now Kate!!!

Might do similar to my car this winter!
Posted Image

#85 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

Thank you Warren, about 60% there now smile.gif

#86 User is offline   downhuman 

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

Looks good kate - are ABC up for doing a rr day for pumapeople? I know I've done mine, but still be up for it - Mark and Pete were a bit miffed I'd been taking the car to Olly so I guess I'll have to pop along and keep them sweet, lol

#87 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

Yes if there were 10 cars the price would drop. Though not spoken to them for a few months now.

#88 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

Yesterday the drivers seat was removed to check for loose fixing bolts.
Today I removed my alloy pedals and went back to standard and did a bit of a clean around the pedal area.
I also used Hydrate 80 to rust treat all three lower front meshes.

#89 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

you've been busy
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#90 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

Three lower meshes now painted with gloss black enamuel paint to look smart and protected again.
I should really take the middle mesh out, but that is a job for another day, with the rest wink.gif

#91 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Its not just me who finds laying on hard concrete and battering a car aches your joints then?? laugh.gif

Posted Image

#92 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

Nope me too, my knees were rather sore yesterday!
Perhaps we are just getting old Warren w00t.gif

#93 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jul 28 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps we are just getting old Warren w00t.gif

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ohmy.gif we're not old until we start saying "when i were young" and "the youth of today".
Posted Image

#94 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

whoops I say the latter wink.gif but I recall you thought I was 10 years younger than I am, so that's OK biggrin.gif

#95 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

so in that case we're both the same sort of age laugh.gif
Posted Image

#96 User is offline   yellowgti 

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:31 PM

im doing mine tomorrow and also doing the rocker cover gasket, fed up with seeing oil on the road after its rained haha
Ribena 1.7i only 200bhp less than my old audi but im in luuurvvve ;) and thats all that counts.....

#97 User is offline   grayfox 

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

Enjoying your thread/progress kate. I was wondering (as you're using Blit Hamber products) whether you thought about using Deox Gel to actually remove the rust or is there no point in doing so if using Hydrate 80? Does Hydrate 80 convert the rust or just protect it from spreading really well?

Was also wondering what product would be compared to waxoyl in their range

#98 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

Dymax UB would compare to Wayoyl I think. Though this product is not on the web site.
Bascially it is Dymax S50 but is able to be painted on exposed areas where as Dymax S50 can not as it would not with stand the exposure and being battered with flicks of road debris/stones etc.

I chose to use Hydrate 80 as this product stabilises the rust and then over the top I have used Dymax UB which is a protector and rust inhibator. Does needs several coats to get a black finish but that's OK.

Detox Gel requires that you apply their Zinc paint product and then over that the paint you want to use for the finish you want. It was too many steps for what I could/would do so I chose to do the Hydrate 80 route.

The rust though should be wirse brushed etc. to remove all the loose stuff with what ever route you go.

Plenty on these products on Detailing World in the B&H section if that helps too.

#99 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:12 PM

Rear brakes inside view.
Illustrating too that I have not finished treating the rust yet.

Always change mind after the event wink.gif should have done red powder coating...

Underside finished now, just got the arches, beam, wishbones etc. to go.

#100 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

looking great kate, keep it up.

i like the calipers but red would have been nice smile.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »