• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Frp #441 My new toy! Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   RESTELL 

• Group: Members

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

View Postmelinamotor, on 06 March 2011 - 09:09 PM, said:

Looking good Ross,

The irony is I picked 441 up from Kings Lynn when I bought it, brought it back to Basingstoke and sold it to Daz just over a year later. :)

I spent a small fortune on her too, clutch, brakes, spare seat matierial,Parada 2 tyres etc etc

Its a fantastic example mate and Im so glad you have really been looking after her, enjoy the rest of your ownership experience mate.

Lee D

Cheers Lee, its always good to know the cars history and its previous owners. Ive met three of the previous 4 owners and all of them took very good care of 441.

I was lucky enough to inherit all the spares that the car had, and as you can see i put the alcantara to good use! ive also still a brand new pair of alcon discs ready for when the time comes too, and this weekend a set of brand new original alloys and new paradas are going on.

Good to know the clutch was replaced, the car has a noisey clutch release bearing now so it may be replaced again soon.

im definately enjoying my ownership, its great to learn about another car, am really enjoying the maintainence as much as the driving!

Snetterton 300 trackday on Monday 14th March so it will soon be back in its natural habitate!

cheers

ross

#42 User is offline   melinamotor 

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

View PostRESTELL, on 09 March 2011 - 11:18 AM, said:

Cheers Lee, its always good to know the cars history and its previous owners. Ive met three of the previous 4 owners and all of them took very good care of 441.

I was lucky enough to inherit all the spares that the car had, and as you can see i put the alcantara to good use! ive also still a brand new pair of alcon discs ready for when the time comes too, and this weekend a set of brand new original alloys and new paradas are going on.

Good to know the clutch was replaced, the car has a noisey clutch release bearing now so it may be replaced again soon.

im definately enjoying my ownership, its great to learn about another car, am really enjoying the maintainence as much as the driving!

Snetterton 300 trackday on Monday 14th March so it will soon be back in its natural habitate!

cheers

ross

Ross,

The clutch and current front discs were put on at Tremona garage, the alcantara was the last roll from Boyriven (the original supplier) hopefully you also have the strip of seat bolster stuff too. The original launch bag and Cat bypass pipe too? I will watch this thread with interest mate, at least she is in good hands, 441 was one of the better FRP's I had seen and the LSD was a bonus.
Take care mate and happy driving, keep in touch though that little car meant alot to me :)

Lee
Ex Melina 1.7,ex FRP441,ex Silver 1.7
Currently.
BMW M3. www.tremonagarage.com

#43 User is offline   RESTELL 

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

UPDATE - AUGUST 2011

Well its been a long time since I updated this so i thought its about time i brought it upto speed.

441 has had an interesting year so far, getting lots of nice updates back in March which improved the ride no end, it was fitter then it had been for a long time and was driving perfectly. I decided to take it to my local race track which is Snetterton as i was keen to try out the new 300 circuit. So Alan (BigboyAl) and myself took our puma's down there back in March and had a cracking day. Some pics from the day:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It was brilliant fun, and the new 300 circuit is amazing, highly recommended.

So after a few months of enjoying 441 on the weekends it was time for the annual trip to 'the Green Hell' of the Nurburgring. This years trip included Rob (Burfyboy), Adam, a couple of robs workmates plus this year would see my Dad make his debut trip (more on that later!)

We also decided to sticker up the cars for this years trip, and i copied the theme of a German DTM car from the Nurburgring 24 hour race. Some pics of the car as it looked during the trip:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The trip was brilliant as it always it, im completely in love with the whole place, and the thrill of being on that track is addictive. Some pics of the action:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Everything was going so well, until my dad went for his first lap with me not in the car, and made a very uncharacteristic mistake. He is a very good driver, and i trust him completely, but as many other people have found out, the Nurburgring is an unforgiving and challenging track not to be taken lightly, and his very small amount of experience on the track led to him carrying too much speed into a tricky corner and unfortunately running wide into a gravel trap. Now obviously im not going to admit on an internet forum that he hit any barriers, so during this trip into the gravel the NSR wheel sustained enough force to bend the rear beam, and smash the side window, give the whole side of the car some nasty gravel rash,and ruin the suspension geometry. In other words it was game over for the weekend.

A plucky german fellow managed to video the whole thing, and ive put a link to this below for your entertainment!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTP03UJtMW0

Here are some pics of the damage:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The sum of the damage amounts to: smashed side window, heavy stone chips along length of car, damaged wheel and tyre, bent rear beam, torn rear bumper.
I guess its not too bad, and we did mange to drive the car nearly 700 miles back home without any issues.

Since June the car has sat around the side of my house, looking sorry for itself, but last weekend i collected a rear beam and this weekend it will be repaired. I cannot wait to get it back on the road as im really missing it.

The plan now is to fix all mechanical damage, then as the cars paint was scruffy anyway, put the body through a full restoration, with a full respray and rust removal/proofing.
i really do love this little car, and i want it to be top notch, so i will be taking my time to make sure everything is perfect. It will be off the road for a while after this summer but when its back it will be perfect :)

So thats it for now, some good and bad news i guess. But the best part is that ive had this car over a year now and i love it more today then when i collected it, this doesnt usually happen to me, so i think 441 will be in my collection for many years to come :)

In the mean time, i have a new project to play with which will become a fully stripped, fully race prepped car to take my dad and me into our first steps of motorsport. At the moment it looks as pictured below, but thats soon to change. More details to follow soon!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by RESTELL: 18 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

#44 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

wow, great write up..

shame about the gravel incident... doesn't look to bad at all tho...could have been a lot worse.. :mellow:

Glad your still loving the car :cool: :cool:

what number is P1..? sure iv'e worked on that
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#45 User is offline   mikecat 

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Looks great mate. Glad your loving the car.

Bet ur dad had a proper shit the pants feeling coming out that corner. I know I would have, lol

#46 User is offline   RESTELL 

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

Cheers Chris, P1 is number 70, its a bit of a mess and suffered a snapped belt hence i got it for a steal, but the car is generally not the greatest so i think the best thing for it is to become a race car :) It has a good history but i couldn't see any receipts for brake services. I'm going to restore/renew/improve everything and will be having some sleeves made to enable me to fit some coilovers. then it will be stripped, have a full 10 point cage welded in and be fully race prepped. I may even respray it and have a change of colour. Also there is talk of supercharging, and I'm on quite good terms with Rotrex so may fit one of there C15 compressors to it. the engine will also be fully stripped and rebuilt as well. i can't wait to get cracking on it!

#47 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

frp hasn't got infinite grip - when it go's your just along for the ride

knowing parts availability it's not a car i'd be throwing around a track either

;)
RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#48 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

god your a cheerful chap.. :rolleyes:
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#49 User is offline   RESTELL 

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:46 PM

Haha well put Chris!

#50 User is offline   Badger 

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Ohhhhhhh good footage. Sorry to hear it mate.

Unlucky really. In the words of Jeremey Clarkson "Some poos come out!"

#51 User is offline   carrboy 

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

Full credit for trying to floor it right round the corner though! Very lucky it wasnt worse! Looking forward to seeing this cars progress.
FRP 038 - R.I.P killed by an old man in his toyota avensis.
FRP 245 - sold, then killed by new owner!
FRP 225 - sold in 2013 and regretted it ever since!FRP ??? - Now after another one after two years of Fiesta ST2 ownership.

#52 User is offline   RESTELL 

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Well, it looks like my time with 441 is coming to an end, it wasn't expected but I'm pleased it's going back to a previous owner who will take good care of her. This weekend I've been giving 441 one last wash and polish, and it's looking good!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I have really loved owning this little car and think I will really miss it, but it feels like the right thing to do by selling it and will allow me to focus on my other project (another FRP in need of some TLC) so I'm pleased it's going to a good home. I'm sure the new owner will make his own thread on here soon enough and I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress.
Cheers.
Ross

#53 User is offline   melinamotor 

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Looks fantastic!!
Currently.

#54 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

P1 has confused me a bit, it's got an XJ chassis number which makes it very early, but it's number 70 :wacko:

#55 User is offline   melinamotor 

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Well, by some miracle of fate 441 has returned to me. Thanks Ross and good luck with the #070 project. The drive home went well aside from my inner shaft bearing giving up. Small issues really and the car is already in having new CV joints and bearings and should be ready this Friday :)
To continue the good work started by Ross (New Eibachs, rear brakes sorted, top mounts and poly bushes etc) the car will soon be treated to a respray to match the superb job done by Ross on the interior. Progress thread to follow.
Currently.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic