Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Puma Track Car Tribute Track Car Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Guy5 

• Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hi All,

I guess my story could have been so different but after a difficult year I decided to purchase a 2000 silver Puma 1.7 as a track day toy, with some help from my karting sponsers I came up with a resonable budget to also cover the car being on track. My first thought was a fiesta Zetec S as i had owned one for 5 years and loved it to bits, its also how I came to meet some great people over a ZSOC, one of them being Ben Hatton. Some of you who are long standing members will recall Ben owned FRP398 a car he described as the best handling machine ever made. Ben and I were likely to have done this track car together however a routine operation went sadly wrong and he passed away in July 2011.

Not wanting to give up on his dreams I decided to do the track car in his memory for this year, I went with the Puma as new the 1.7 engine was far better than the 1.6 in the Fiesta so on a cold January day I found one up for £650 with 6mths MOT and Tax, Car was solid with only one wheel arch needing repair, airbag light on and tyres pretty shot. had full history so I offered £500 and it was job done.

I took it for a track day in february to see if I liked it, it was just like being on a large karting track!, the car pulled really well and although it needed a few changes on set up the base line of the car was good enough.

So my mechanic started changing a few bits on it, suspension was replaced with - GMAX - 30mm, Brakes changed, Full service, bushes replaced, Cat back exhaust, went for a Sportex set up and have to say for the money its a bargain, lastly rubber which was done with Yokohama parada spec 2

I haven't stripped it out just in case I need to sell it to raise some cash.

As part of the tribute to Ben and the fact one of our sponsers is a sign company we are putting some graphics on it, these have yet to be finished.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Guy5: 12 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

#2 User is offline   AndyReact 

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Nice work - there is plenty to strip out that you can always put back in if you need to!

#3 User is offline   Guy5 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

I may well strip out the back shortly as looking to fit some racing seats is there a gadget for sale to stop the airbag light coming on if I go for race harness and if so who sells them. :) cheers

#4 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

gadget = soldering iron and led removal lol

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Welcome :)
I like the Scroth autocontrol harnesses, have them in mine. Best of a harness combined with an interia reel for normal driving so can lean forward and stuff, under any g pressure they lock.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Welcome to PP.

I've been registered on ZSOC a while now but I didn't know about Ben, sorry to hear that.

Which track did you go to? I'm doing Combe and Silverstone in September and probably some more in between.

#7 User is offline   Guy5 

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Cheers for the welcomes :) , Have just done Snetterton track today which was wet and then dried out for the last 2 hrs. Only 15 cars were there and only 12 made it home, the Puma was magic with all the changes we have made and was more than a match for other cars. Due to sponser commitments will stay at Snetterton only this year so if you are considering this track Ian let me know as I may be there.

This post has been edited by Guy5: 14 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

#8 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

Its certainly on my list of tracks to visit.

#9 User is offline   Guy5 

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Have just purchased a set of Millenium Puma alloys, not realising they have a chrome finish to my standard wheels being silver, are these wheels worth more and any ideas what value they have second hand?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic