• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nurburgring? - Meet Discussion.

#21 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

looks like if we all get some info then and arrange it then it looks like we could have alot of attendees. good.gif good.gif

could end up being an all time great meet. good.gif

p.s, ive never driven abroad blink.gif blink.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#22 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

It's good that there's such great interest, but personally I would not want to go as part of a larger group, as I'd like to do the trip at my own pace. smile.gif
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (R5CPD @ Jan 9 2006, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's good that there's such great interest, but personally I would not want to go as part of a larger group, as I'd like to do the trip at my own pace. smile.gif

yeah but i mean we could all meet at the ring but perhaps make our own pace there????

i would need to follow someone laugh.gif
Posted Image

#24 User is offline   wrenton 

• View gallery

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

I'd love to go but I'd worry about battering my motor blink.gif

I don't want to show you Puma drivers up on the lap times too biggrin.gif
Puma 1.7, FRP #148, Seat Leon Cupra R, FRP #260, Focus TDCi, Focus ST170

Currently: Puma Thunder (for sale)

#25 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (wrenton @ Jan 9 2006, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd love to go but I'd worry about battering my motor blink.gif

I don't want to show you Puma drivers up on the lap times too biggrin.gif

im not gonna go on track mate just going for the brilliant drive and the experience of it . imagine the types of motors you will see there going around. come on you know you want too good.gif good.gif biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#26 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Big Boy Al @ Jan 9 2006, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah but i mean we could all meet at the ring but perhaps make our own pace there????

i would need to follow someone laugh.gif

I'm not too sure why I feel this way Alan, but due to the nature of the circuit, it's a very dangerous place (Green Hell as Jackie Stewart called it) and I would'nt want the distraction of worrying about everyone else. smile.gif I know this sounds daft, but as a long standing Meet Organiser, you start to consider everyone, not just yourself, even if it's not your meet. sad.gif

If you read through the 'Past Trips' reports on Ben Lovejoy's website, you will see he has had at least one of his friends killed at the circuit, and has arrived on the scene of several other fatal or very serious accidents. Not to mention the other numurous spins and minor bumps, etc. The fact that the circuit's casualty figures are kept down by only counting those that die at the actual circuit, rather those who expire in the Air Ambulance or at hospital afterwards, goes to show that the place requires a bit more attention than most.

Also as posted earlier, there's the armco and recovery costs if you prang it. As well as the bill to fix your motor (and get it back to Blighty) there's these possible charges:

Optional extras available at additional cost include armco repairs, safety car attendance, vehicle recovery, track closure, hospital stays and helicopter rides. I recommend avoiding these. If you can't, then the following price-list may help:

Removing damaged armco: _10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)
Replacement armco: _31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)
Removing damaged armco posts: _5.10 each
Replacing armco post: _39 each
Safety car attendance: _82 per 30 mins (car + 2 people)
Circuit closure: _1,350 per hour
Recovery truck: _175 (inc VAT)
Hospital stay & air ambulance: Let's just say, do NOT go there without travel insurance! (Though a European Health Card - which replaced the E111 - may cover the hospital bit.)

If it's just me, or a couple of others, then it's my own fault if anything happens. However, I'm worried that if this turns into the Pumapeople Grand Tour, then the chances of a serious incident could increase. Certainly there's no way I'd recomend someone with no circuit experience to head around the N”rdschleife, due to the potential extreme dangers.

Sorry to sound so downbeat, but despite my reputation, it's taken me about three years of thinking about the dangers, to commit to go this year, and even then I'm going drive like I'm on my driving test. I'm looking at it as a driving 'experience', not a place to drive flat out. wink.gif I'd love peeps to share with this experience, but I'd urge great thought before anyone decides to attempt the circuit. smile.gif
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   wrenton 

• View gallery

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:56 PM

Very true, very true. It depends on the expense and length of it but I would like to go.

I'd be very tempted to do a few laps even if I would poop it!
Puma 1.7, FRP #148, Seat Leon Cupra R, FRP #260, Focus TDCi, Focus ST170

Currently: Puma Thunder (for sale)

#28 User is offline   amino 

• View gallery

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

looks like I will be setting up the nurburg fund at home lol, id be so up for this,price and time are what is key for me
All men are created equal. They are all vastly inferior to Jack Bauer.

#29 User is offline   Xrion 

• View gallery

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:29 PM

Its a bit too early to start thinking about a date! however i would say you need about Å“400

(if you plan on using your car on track)
Eurostar trip
Petrol / autoban fairs
Tyres for track day
Lap fees / Petrol for laps
Money For accommodation
Petrol / Autoban Fairs back
Eurostar trip back

(if you plan to go up for a trip)
Eurostar
Petrol / Autoban Fairs
Money for accommodation
Petrol / Autoban Fairs back
Eurostar trip back
<div align="center">X.R.I.O.N</div>

#30 User is offline   Noj 

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

Food for thought there R5, as a friend and I were considering taking mine over this year for a few laps, neither of us having got any experience of tracks before, it was more the, 'would be fun to do it but not wanting to set any lap records' type of thing, more for the experience of having driven it, even at 42.7mph

could end up being a most expensive event indeed and I totally appreciate what you are saying about looking after the interests of others as well as yourself!

looks like the advice to take is get some track experience elsewhere before taking on the 'ring
What you don't know.
Won't leave a scar.
What you don't know.
Hasn't killed you so far.
But you don't know.
Just who you are.
Still I just give you something to talk about.
What you don't know.

#31 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

Suggest you all read this from Istvan's experience there last year...

#32 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

I'd be up for this as long as I'm not at sea at the time!!!!!!

Even if you drive like a pansy round the corners for safety its got to be worth it just to nail it up some of the long straights at highly illegal speeds!
Posted Image

#33 User is offline   Martin 

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:14 PM

Blimey, what a lot of interest...

#34 User is offline   d170sam 

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:21 AM

count me in for sure, just give me a time and a place! woot2.gif would be great fun all driving down there for a long wekend biggrin.gif
to the steel workers of america: keep reaching for that rainbow!

#35 User is offline   Zip It 

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (JamesMalin @ Jan 12 2006, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed i am South but not south, south!

I live in Ware in Hertfordshire good.gif

We can share, it'll be a joint Puma Search Scheme, tghe goverment will love it! bleh.gif

The problem I've got is that I'm very restricted on dates. I cannot go before 1st June 2006 which is a pain. Failing that I may go over on my own as it's one thing i must do in 2006 ja_cool.gif
ex - Red 2000 Puma 1.7
ex - Black Civic Type R
now - Boring Golf TDI
now - Civic I-CTDI

#36 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

wet your appetite here
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#37 Guest_blackczerny_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:35 AM

I've been wanting to do the ring for ages! I'd love to come if I'm welcome.....? I get holiday from April onwards; I'm based in Shrewsbury. Am bad at camping though; I'm 6ft and my feet don't like wet grass! mad.gif
I might not do the ring in my Puma, but just the experience would be amazing.
Cheers

#38 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

Following consideration of my earlier posts and the fact I'm going anyway this year, I've felt it sensible to begin the arrangments for a properly organised event later this year. smile.gif

I'm keen to work with Xrion to put together a fun event for both those wishing to drive at the circuit and those who wish to spectate. Having spoken to a number of interested parties, April is looking like a good time to hold this event. wink.gif Until the track opening times are published next month, we would struggle to confirm the exact weekend until nearer that time. wink.gif

I aim to speak with Xrion later this week and we can then start to formulate a plan of events. I have already started a new topic in the April 2006 meets section, which will become the proper meet thread.

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33918

In the meantime, please keep posting up your comments and ideas, and can look forward to a fun and enjoyable event. biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#39 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

A weekend in april would be good. Fridays should be OK as I'm on a course then which could be re-arranged to involve finishing work thursday night.

Failing that I'll make my own way there and meet up sat am and drive back through the night on sunday to be at work Monday!!!
Posted Image

#40 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:06 PM

Ok, Nurburgring have finally confirmed the opening times for the circuit. smile.gif For April, these weekend dates look good (circuit opening times in brackets):

1st (Saturday Afternoon), 2nd (All day Sunday), 3rd (Monday Afternoon)

Easter Weekend. 14th (Friday late morning / afternoon), 15th (All day Saturday), 16th (All day Sunday), 7th (all day Monday)

28th (Friday evening), 29th (Saturday evening), 30th (All day Sunday), 1st May (All day Monday).

I'm not sure which of these dates would be best for folk? I personaly prefer the 1st, 2nd, 3rd one, but I'm open to further thought. smile.gif

Once we've an idea, then we can confirm details of the event and who is coming and start to get things underway. smile.gif
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic