Pumapeople: Lightweight Bonnet And Other Stuff - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lightweight Bonnet And Other Stuff Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   wishbone 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

So I take it the standard bonnet weighs 16 kilos. Can we get a defintive weight on fibreglass VS CF?
If we can get 10 people the mould cost comes down to about £50 per piece. Who else wants a CF bonnet for £350?! Id have one.

#22 User is offline   shinigami 

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

How does it compare to the price of a standard bonnet? Considering it won't rust it sounds good.

Just a thought, could CF FRP wings be made and would they possibly be cheaper than the Ford price of about £800 each?
FRP = Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Owner of FRP #444

#23 User is offline   doubleg 

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

Wishbone: if a few people are looking at bonnets I would be quite happy to offer additional discount for the bits on a group buy type of scenario. That could be in any mix of the three options.

Shinigami: FRP wings in CF would be possible, a possible alternative would be to look at either Kevlar or Glassfibre/Carbon Fibre with Kevlar reinforcement depending on costs. I would need a pair of original wing to work from to be able to make the moulds up.

#24 User is offline   wishbone 

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

GG, any idea of the weights of both the CF and GF versions? Ta/

#25 User is offline   geoffthegiant 

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (doubleg @ Aug 14 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wishbone: if a few people are looking at bonnets I would be quite happy to offer additional discount for the bits on a group buy type of scenario. That could be in any mix of the three options.

I would be interested as well...

#26 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:18 AM

I would be interested too in a CF bonnet. Would you be able to cut out a S1600 vent hole in the bonnet if i gave you the measurement template??? Would have to be my template as id want it relocated over the turbo so opposite side to normal.
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   alan12666 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

I also would be interested .... could do to save some kilo's from my rally car!
www.sblmotorsport.co.uk - Puma rally car

#28 User is offline   phillipuma 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

I would be interested in a carbon bonnet if the price is right.

#29 User is offline   shinigami 

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

Doubleg, would the gel coat version be a kind of shiny black colour?

I'm trying to decide if a CF bonnet would be a good thing to do to my FRP or not.

Owner of FRP #444

#30 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (shinigami @ Aug 18 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doubleg, would the gel coat version be a kind of shiny black colour?

I'm trying to decide if a CF bonnet would be a good thing to do to my FRP or not.

It's a detachable panel...if you sell the FRP just replace the original bonnet and flog the carbon one cool.gif

#31 User is offline   shinigami 

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

Oh dear, don't come up with very good ideas like that biggrin.gif
My bank balance will get angry with you tongue.gif

Owner of FRP #444

#32 User is offline   doubleg 

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

In answer to a few of people questions. Sorry for the delay but it’s been a hectic few days.

Wishbone, weight wise it typically works out that the GRP is around half the weight of standard as a general rule. The Carbon actually doesn’t offer as big a weight saving as some may think against the GRP, however it is a hell of a lot stiffer which is the main benefit to it.

Warrenpenalver. Yes we could do that for you. However, I would prefer not to if possible just to eliminate the possibility of any mistakes as I would be uneasy about you possibly ending up with a bonnet which has no use to you if the hole is cut incorrectly.

Spencer, I have a couple of customer to sort out. Received your pm this afternoon. I will get back to you and post in the other thread when I get sorted later tonight.

#33 User is offline   wishbone 

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

Is it just me or is anyone else really excited about having a CF bonnet?
Lighter AND probably more stone chip resistant.
The bonnet the FRP deserves....

#34 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:18 AM

i want! end of!!!! i need to shed a load of weight off the front for my project & would pos have some wings but i dont think cf would save that much over ali. i would def have some as a replacement if mine got damaged tho.

id like a boot eventually & iv already got a spare as i was going to have a go at making a mould. so far iv only made small things from grp tho.

bootleg; if you want to do a boot in cf you can borrow mine to make the mould. you can have it if you take a mould of inside as well as id need that part making up too.

but bonnet first! this is looking good too; quite a bit of interest so far, come on people!!!!

#35 User is offline   wishbone 

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:59 AM

I am just trying to establish if this is a direct bolt in replacement and so far, Chris (the maker) reckons it is.

I now need to know about whether or not the original cloing mechanisim is retained or if we have to use bonnet pins. If we have to use pins, then I guess some small struts would need to be secured in the engine bay, there might even be fixing point we could use without having to weld them in, but I guess even if welded they could be removed to restore originality.

Watch this space but if the price is right (cue music) I reckon this could be really interesting. If all is agreed, the next step will be deposits.....

#36 User is offline   e3silversurfer 

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

@ doubleg

where abouts are you located in newcastle??? I can collect and pay in cash if the price is right smile.gif

#37 User is offline   PumaJay 

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:25 AM

im deffo interested in this, been after a carbon bonnet since i got my first puma 2 years ago, and if the price is right then yeh count me in!!

doubleg you say you alreay do polycarb windows for the puma, do you have a website we can order from?? after some for myself so would be interested in the price of them
THE WORLD IS MY RACETRACK
www.charnwoodcarclub.co.uk

#38 User is offline   wishbone 

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

DoubleG has been back in touch, so it looks like this is back on.

If there are 10 people wanting one, the aprox cost for the Carbon fibre bonnet c/w internals and facility to mount to standard hinges (clear gel coat), will be around £350.

At this stage I need a show of hands of people who would be willing to put down £100 deposit to me to start this process off. We could do it with less than 10 people but the cost would go up. Likewise more than 10 people and the cost will go down.

COME ON PEEPS.....

#39 User is offline   pumarv6 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

Probably worth starting a new thread specifically for the group buy that people can add their names to.

#40 User is offline   evileye5060 

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

geoffthegiant said:

1216720860[/url]' post='749827']
Hi, just got my first puma and am looking to slowly turn it into a trackday car...

Looking into weight reductions at the moment, it strikes me that the bonnet is pretty damn heavy. Ive seen a couple of pictures on the forum of cars with carbon fibre bonnets, but does anybody know anyone who can have one made up?

Already done:
Lightweight battery,
Spare wheel and tray off,
Carpets, speakers and head lining out,
Lightweight seats.

Looking into:
Air con removal,
Lighter alloys/tyres,
Alternator and water pump tricks...

If any one has experience of any of this and can offer any words of wisdom i would be very grateful.

Regards...

Hi can I ask what type of battery you got

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic