• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uk Puma Cup Race your Puma! Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Silverkat 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hi Ian,

We did look into standard maps but if we just seal the OBD port we can't guarantee the map that is on there. With the Superchips map they will provide us with a master Bluefin that you plug into the OBD and it will tell the scrutineer if the map is the 'official' map or not. This will be done in parc ferme straight after the race so people can't sneak off and reflash their ECU if they are running a moody map. As you mentioned, my use of the word 'seal' was wrong, what I should have said was 'fixed' as sealing the ECU would be pointless as all the remap work is done via the OBD port. As it stands, we shouldn't need to seal the OBD as the ECU will be checked under parc ferme conditions, but we may have to seal it if we feel that there is some 'creative' engineering going on.
We are also providing Superchips with 3 cars with the 3 different ECU types to get a baseline and to optimise the maps for 95 octane fuel, like you say, it won't give a huge performance boost but it will be a little perkier and we are trying to work out a map that makes the cars visually and aurally, more exciting with lots of popping, banging and maybe even a bit of flame-age, but we will do whats most cost effective and practical.
I am meeting the MD from Superchips on Tuesday to work out a bit of a sponsorship deal, so the remap may yet come cheaper, I'll just have to put my negotiating head on!

Thanks for the feedback and questions, like I said, keep them coming it helps everyone understand the series better.

Regards, Al

#22 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

View PostSilverkat, on 14 November 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

we are trying to work out a map that makes the cars visually and aurally, more exciting with lots of popping, banging and maybe even a bit of flame-age

Now I'm interested Posted Image

#23 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

There were more than 3 different standard Puma maps (afaik) on the three ECUs and what happens if a Puma is on standard Ford map but it is a later Puma that expects two HEGO sensors but you are using the series manifold that has one?
Assuming competitor does not want to pay the extra for superchips mod.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#24 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hello again,

I have already got the 2 lambda issue covered, we are going to see if Superchips can switch one of the lambda's off and if it poses no problems, we can go with 1 manifold type, if not, then we will just have a second lambda port welded onto the series manifold for anyone who needs it, sorted!
With regards the map itself, everyone will have to have their ECU remapped, like I said before, it is just easier to monitor. The original plan was to have 3 master Bluefin units (MUFF, TAPE and DIVE) and just remap the cars at the racetrack but this posed a few technical and practical problems, so the fixed ECU is here to stay I'm afraid.
Plus, like I said before, popping, banging and flames! It would be rude not too!

Thanks for all the questions, please keep them coming.

Regards, Al

#25 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Heck sorry that helps thankyou but still don't totally get the ECU bit as you can't put a later ECU in an early build car and vice versus without swapping other stuff, so is it map the existing ECU in the Puma with the superchips map is put on it, or is it one new ECU module with a map already on it that can handle what ever the Puma is?
Popping is good :-)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#26 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hello again,

The map that Superchips are doing is to fit your existing ECU, you send it away to them, they remap it, then send it back. That way everyone has the same map and they have a log of who's ECU's they have done, it makes scrutineering that bit easier. The lambda trick is something that works on the Porsches that we run, you can fool the ECU into thinking that the lambda is reading the perfect mixture and just use the first lambda for the fuelling changes, basically you just tell the ECU to ignore lambda no 2. It may, however, not work for the Puma's so hence we have had to account for the extra lambda port on some of the cars, the competitor can just specify a 2 lambda manifold when they order the kit. Like I said before, don't worry about asking questions. And yes, I agree, popping is good!

Regards, Al

#27 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

I get it :-)

#28 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

You can't beat disabling fuel cut on overrun from the ECU for good pops and bangs...

One other thing to consider when checking ECU's. Make sure the car no longer runs with the standard ECU disconnected / removed. Heard a great story a short while ago that an eligibility scrutineer had removed the ECU for checking, and a unknowing mechanic jumped into the car and drove it out the scrutineering bay.... ooops!
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#29 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

That's not a story, I know the man who's car it was!

#30 User is offline   pumaracer 

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hello all i would be very interested in this please keep me informed of developments.
Cheers Richard

#31 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

Hi Richard,

If you need any questions answering or technical information, drop me an email on emcmotorsport@btconnect or phone the workshop number above.

All the details and information for the series will be put on the Puma Cup facebook page, don't log onto it though as we haven't got it up and running yet!

I'll post up when it has some details on it.

Regards, Alex

#32 User is offline   pumaracer 

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hi Alex
Thank you for your reply

Will EMC Motorsport be fitting the rollcages ? would be ideal for me as im only in Coventry

Do you have a price for parts yet?

And any idea of how many rounds there will be and where they will be ?

Cheers Richard

#33 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hi Richard,

If you need a cage fitting, you can get a welder/fabricator to fit it no problem or fit it yourself, you don't have to have it fitted by us but you will need to provide a weld test sample if you want it certified, remember though, a cage certificate is only necessary for racing overseas, it isn't needed for UK racing. If you don't have access to welders or fabricators, then we have 2 fitting centres us (EMC Motorsport in Birmingham) and Strasse Motorsport in Leeds who can fit and certify a cage at a discounted rate, the prices will be posted up soon, we have just got to finish organising a few bits from suppliers.

We have also set up a Puma Cup facebook page and email which will have all the news, updates and information for competitors in the build up to the start of the 2014 season and also have a build manual for the cars and useful tips and things to look out for if you are a novice preparer. You are also very welcome to contact us for information at any time, just phone or email the workshop.

Regards, Al

#34 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:14 AM

Oops... forgot to put the dates up!

The Puma Cup will be contested over 8 UK rounds with an inter-series race at Spa Franchorchamps open to Puma Cup competitors.

The rounds are as follows including the open test day at Snetterton:

March 27th Snetterton – Test Day

April 12th/13th Snetterton (300)

May 10th/11th Silverstone (National)

May 31st/1st June Brands Hatch (Indy)

June 27th/28th/29th Spa Franchorchamps

July 12th/13th Castle Combe

August 2nd/3rd Anglesey (Coastal)

August 30th/31st Donington Park (National)

September 20th Oulton (International)

September 27th Oulton (International))

October 18th/19th Snetterton (200)

The Oulton Park rounds are both dates that the CSCC are running but we haven't been allocated our exact date yet, it will be one of those 2 dates though. All races are 1 day events, qualifying and racing same day, when the dates go on the CSCC website it will show which are a Saturday and which are a Sunday, except Oulton Park which is always a Saturday.

The Spa round is an inter-series race, each series has a set number of competitor slots available so you will be part of a 50+ car start and it is 2 x 30 minute races over 2 days. It isn't an 'official' Puma Cup round but there will be a few goodies for the people who make the pilgrimage and it is a fantastic weekend on the best racetrack in the world. To do the Spa round, you will need a National 'A' race license, if you do all the first rounds and do a few allcomer races or a day's marshalling, you can get enough signatures to upgrade your National 'B' in time. If you can't do it next year, don't worry, CSCC do a Spa trip every year, just make sure you do it at least once!

Thanks everyone!

Regards, Al

#35 User is offline   pumaracer 

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

All sounds great

Have the car on the drive have liked the facebook page

Just awaiting part prices and then hopefully the build begins

Really hope to be able to do Spa would be great

Looking forward to this

Also will you be at Autosports show ???

cheers Richard

#36 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hi Richard,

We will hopefully have a stand at Autosport, we'll see how much the organisers are going to charge us, we will be there one way or another. We are hoping to get most of the 2014 competitors underway before then so we can get everyone finished and tested with a little time to spare. It gives us time to help everyone with setups etc. so we can all start the season unstressed and ready to go, I know, very unlikely!

Cheers!

Regards, Al

#37 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I can vouch for the CSCC Interseries race at Spa - fantastic weekend, though we tend to go for a whole week and make it a motorsport holiday :) Weather can be unpredictable, 35 degrees sunshine one minute monsoon conditions 10 minutes later. This year will be our 5th trip!
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#38 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Hi folks!

At last, we have all the suppliers sorted and the prices are now in.

All the components below are the control components that you have to use. Everything else is free to buy, within the regs of course, from whatever source you can beg, steal, borrow or purchase from.
The control parts and prices are:

- Puma Cup cage kit (Multipoint in CDS) £595+VAT (Note: Custom Cages will be putting their prices up soon, only by £10 or so, but the cage price will change at some point)

- Puma Cup suspension kit (GAZ Gold) £658+VAT

- Puma Cup Powerflex Beam Bushes £40+VAT

- Puma Cup exhaust manifold £180+VAT

- 4 x Dunlop DZ03G (195x50x15) tyres £364+VAT

- Superchips Puma Cup ECU map £100+VAT (This is to be purchased from Superchips directly once we have the map(s) finished)

All the kit parts can be purchased individually or as a kit, but they must come through one of the official Puma Cup kit suppliers to ensure a level playing field. All the Puma Cup cars MUST have all the components listed above to be eligible. All Puma Cup parts will have holograms or identification to make sure that nobody can put non Puma Cup parts on their cars.

All competitors can send their ECU's to Superchips once they have registered their competition number to get the remap, as Superchips will need the number to record each ECU map installed.

If you need the roll cage installing we have 2 official fitting centres that will fit them at a discounted rate, the cage is extensive but any decent welder or fabricator can fit them, so if you can get a cage fitted for cheap or free then go for it. If you need any tech support for installing the cage or fitting of any of the components, call our workshop on 0121 328 2225 or email us at emcmotorsport@btconnect.com anytime.

There will also be a more extensive kit than the basic one, so if you want to purchase everything in one go to convert your Puma, then you can.

We are also doing a few fancy bits like Puma Cup logo'd race seats and wheels, but it will be next month before they are revealed.

Like I said above, if you have any questions or tech queries, about the Puma Cup or even how to go about getting into racing, then phone or email us.

You can also keep up to date of the latest developments on the Puma Cup UK facebook page.

Cheers!

Regards, Al

#39 User is offline   pumaracer 

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Hi Al
Thank you for the parts list do you have a price for fitting the cages???
spoke to you on facebook page earlier will be popping in to workshop to look at the two cars
how much will registration for the cup be?

cheers Richard

#40 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Hi Richard,

If you want the cage fitted by us, give us a ring on the workshop line to discuss fitment prices and any other requirements (painting etc). As we said before, you are very welcome to come down at any time to view the cars being built or to answer any technical questions you have. Or even to have a coffee and talk racing!

Registration for the Puma Cup will be £100 for the year plus the CSCC membership, which I think is £36 for the year.

Kind regards, Al

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic