Pumapeople: Uk Puma Cup - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uk Puma Cup Race your Puma! Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

• Group: Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

having a glance through the regs, you cant touch the exterior body panels except bonet.

What about going skitzo with a hole saw on the internal panels?? or cutting some out alltogether as the strength is in the cage now. in effect cut out excess metal up high and use ballast low down and strategically placed for handling if needs be to bring it back to minimum weight??
Posted Image

#42 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

The latest Puma Cup UK regs have this nugget in ... "For the purposes of clarity, unless it states specifically otherwise, the car is to remain unmodified."

I would suggest speaking to the Puma Cup series eligibility scrutineer before doing any mods which would render the shell and welded in cage scrap ;)
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#43 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Hello again,

Just to add some further detail to the regulations, if you want to remove the inner brackets such as the jack mount, then that is fine, but if you make the inside look like Swiss cheese, then that is not within the rules.

Strictly speaking, to the letter of MSA rules, you can go mental with the hole saw on the inner panels of a race car, but be warned, a car failed scrutineering recently because it was deemed unsafe. The owner had painstakingly drilled and cut every internal panel on the car, compromising its integrity and unless he re-instated the internals, the car was effectively scrap.

I am adding all these details to the regulations as we go along, so apologies it is taking a while but there is a lot of work still to do and I am (gradually) working through it.

Almost forgot, all the panels must be standard in shape and material except the bonnet which must be a direct replacement but can be of any material.

Like Toby said, unless the rules say you can, then assume you can't.

If you have any questions or queries email puma.cup.uk@outlook.com and we will help answer them.

Regards, Al

#44 User is offline   Bentleya 

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

How many people have come forward and announced they will be entering?

#45 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hi,

We have had loads of interest, however we cannot accept registrations until the MSA give us 'official' permission to take payment, it's just a case of waiting for the paperwork to be signed off. With regards numbers, until the Autosport show nobody thinks about doing anything, however we have got a few cars being built by other competitors, we reckon that we will have 8-10 cars for the first race and 15 cars by the end of the season. That's why we are running as a series within a series for the first year, it gives people chance to build cars for the stand alone races in 2015 and means we don't have to guarantee 20 cars, which is virtually impossible for a new series anyway. We should have the website up and running soon for all the downloads, updates and registrations for the season ahead. Thanks to everyone for their support in getting the new series up and running, its really great to know that we have so much support, it makes all the hard work, worth while.

Regards, Al.

#46 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

Looking at updates the first car conversions are coming on well, though I don't envy the person doing the sound proofing removal, that sounds a nastey job, think I will keep my carpet.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#47 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

View Posthappy-kat, on 13 December 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Looking at updates the first car conversions are coming on well, though I don't envy the person doing the sound proofing removal, that sounds a nastey job, think I will keep my carpet.

Just looking to do that to 462 as it seems about the only thing I can do for weight reduction under the regs for hillclimbs and sprints

#48 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

Hi folks,

I just thought I'd say that it isn't a bad job at all removing the sound deadening pads, a scraper and a blowtorch and don't get the tar too hot, if it goes gooey then it takes twice as long to do. You can scrape the tar and remove the glue in 4-5 hours as long as you don't attempt the pad under the heater blower, that is a heater out job and the pad is a real tricky swine to remove, the rest are easy and weigh a surprising amount, it's worth doing if your options are limited.

Regards, Al

#49 User is offline   adrianm 

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

Nearly finished mine but it won't comply with the rules for this series unfortunately as I started before it was announced. Bit too restrictive on what can be done for me anyway. I'm sure it will be a raging success though as the Puma is a cracking little race car. I'll probably be at some of the CSCC meetings in a different class so I'll be interested to see the cars there.

Removing the sound deadening was pretty easy. I took it all out including that around the heater (my car no longer has a heater, the heated front screen and a blower is enough) in an hour. Making it look neat and tidy afterwards is a bit harder and that's what takes it up to a five hour job! Weighed in at nearly 30 kilos so it's worth getting it all out.

Worst job so far has been fitting the Custom Cages roll cage. Measurements and instructions are non-existent (you just get a few photos of a different spec cage!) and it's definitely a multi person job to get it all lined up properly. Mine is finally all tacked in so it's a matter of lots of welding now. I'd advise double checking the cage when it arrives. I was sent the wrong harness bars and it held me up for a while.

#50 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hello again,

Glad your car is coming along nicely, it's a shame that you won't be racing with us though.

It's interesting that you had a bit of a fiddle with the cage, we supply loads of Custom Cages kits and we've found that the Puma kit is one of the few that go straight in!

You are right about the photos and build diagram, they are pants and are really designed for companies that fit cages all the time, that is why we are doing a build manual to cover this and a few other of the more tricky jobs.

Like you say, it is well worth getting the sound deadening out, we've removed all surplus bracketry and with the tar, it weighs a surprising amount and is virtually cost free performance.

You'll have to put some piccies up as I would love to see the progress of your car as you go.

Regards, Al

#51 User is offline   adrianm 

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

It may be because I went for the Puma Clubman kit rather than the Multipoint kit. The photo's they sent me seemed to be a cross between the two and when I raised the question about the incorrect harness bars they said they didn't have the cut in the computers to be able to make one that would fit. Despite the photos they sent me showing exactly the part I needed!

What I have now is part Clubman and part Multipoint but at least it fits once I worked out that the right and left are labelled differently (or incorrectly) between the two kits!

#52 User is offline   Partbox 

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Good luck with the cage but if you get stuck post the picture up Adrian so we can see what they have sent or pm / email it to Alex

But looking forward in taking part in this series myself, March cannot come quick enough :good:/>

Paul

#53 User is offline   Partbox 

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Some other images from today ...i hope this helps :cool:/>

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#54 User is offline   Bentleya 

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Progress is coming along nicely with all the cars, it's great to see the progress on the yellow Milly. I has the pleasure of buying and picking it up for the owner.

#55 User is offline   shaneharpe16 

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hey this is very exciting. Some questions;

How much will the races be?

When can people register?

If i cant make it as a racer can i get a visit down the pit wall? It'll be nice to see all these pumas racing around!!

#56 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hi there,

Sorry I haven't replied to you more quickly, I have been really busy lately and I also have man-flu, so I am feeling very sorry for myself at the moment!

In response to your questions:

The race entries will be between £350-£380, per race, depending on the track, Brands Hatch is more expensive than Anglesey for example, for that you get a 30 minute qualifying and a 40 minute race.

Registrations can now be taken, so if you want a particular number, it is on a first come, first served basis and registration costs £100 for the year.

Anyone can come to watch the racing and because it isn't F1, you can mooch around the paddock and even get in and around the pits and meet all the competitors.

Racers are a friendly bunch and because we don't have any friends, there is normally a spare ticket knocking about so you won't have to pay to get in, happy days!

If you need any more information, look up the Puma Cup UK Facebook page or phone me on 0121 328 2225 for any technical queries.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards, Alex

#57 User is offline   shaneharpe16 

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

Hey. Don't do Facebook. It's the devils spawn ;-) 😃

I will be down to brands hatch for a quick peek. I won't be in a position to fund my entrance this year. Especially as I still haven't got my race license.

How many drivers are signed up so far? I see the Facebook page has over 200 likes.

#58 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Hi,

We have 6 cars being built at the moment with a few more lurking in the background. As I have said before, I reckon we will have 8 or so cars for the first race and will hopefully build up to 15 over the season. You never get a massive grid for a debut season, so to avoid the problem of trying to fill a 20 car grid, we are sharing the track space with another series, which will help boost their grid and give people a season to build cars ready for a full assault in 2015. It also gives people a chance to see the cars in action before they make their mind up and decide if it's for them.

Come down to Brands Hatch, look for the Dunlop awning and come and meet everyone, maybe we can even convince you to build a car.....

Regards, Al

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic