Pumapeople: Bluefin - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Bluefin

#1 User is offline   Towny1 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 March 2003 - 12:35 PM

Has anybody seen/used Bluefin from Superchips?

Website claims 8 bhp and 17Nm increase just from plugging their machine into your car (i.e. no rolling road) and pressing go.

Wondering what your opinions are on this and whether it is worth the money (£300) or can this dosh be spent better elsewhere? The only mod on my kat at the mo is a quikshift induction kit.

www.superchips.co.uk/bluefin

#2 User is offline   Rodman 

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:08 PM

Website claims 8 bhp and 17Nm increase just from plugging their machine into your car (i.e. no rolling road) and pressing go.

I think it increases it by 12bhp (at 5250rpm) Sounds good laugh.gif

So are we gonna wait to her from someone who's already got it, or are ya gonna be first to try !! :twisted:

#3 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 06 March 2003 - 04:30 PM

Seems too good to be true but if they will prove the claim that they can increase BHP by that much for that much you have nothing to lose (other than insurance cover if you don't tell them).

It's usually only turbo engines that can be made to produce that kind of BHP for £300.

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 06 March 2003 - 04:38 PM

have to concur with Colin, if it can do that for that price... u r laughing.
I personally have never heard of a chip on it's own producing more than say 2-4 BHP.
Did I say 4.. em well bit like the fish that got away wink.gif it was 'ThaT ..................... BiG'
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   Rodman 

Posted 06 March 2003 - 04:43 PM

http://www.superchips.co.uk/bluefin/curves/puma17.pdf

Wowee tongue.gif

May have to venture into this a little further.

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 06 March 2003 - 05:01 PM

it would be interesting to know what else had been done to that Kat to get that gain.
As in I would be very surprised if it was a totally standard Kat with only this chip added to gain 7BHP
If so.... then that is a true bargain biggrin.gif I think
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#7 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 March 2003 - 09:09 AM

it would be interesting to know what else had been done to that Kat to get that gain.

Easy... inflate the tyres to 40 psi for the second power run after themod... this will decrease the rolling resistance and as rolling roads read the power at the wheels this will be feed back through the coast-down claculations and provide you with better at-the wheel-figures...

either that or you can apply a fudge factor which is built into most rolling road software "just in case" ..... :shock:

smile.gif

#8 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 07 March 2003 - 09:29 AM

Looks good on paper :wink:

Makes you wonder why Ford spent so much developing an tweaked ECU, tubular manifold and racing cat, new cams, modified airbox and new inlet manifold for the FRP when sticking in a chip costing a few hundred takes you halfway there :wink:

I would definitely recommend a brake upgrade as soon as you fit the chip though as the standard brakes can't even cope with 120bhp...come to think of it my old modded Puma 1.7 with 130bhp (chip, filter+exhaust) even with fancy discs and pads couldn't cope...you have been warned!!

#9 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 March 2003 - 09:40 AM

Kinda agree and disagree.

Depends what you use the extra power for.

Tiggrs (when she's well) power is used for limited times, to give a very high degree of confidence when over taking, i.e. knowing that you have a power reserve that is way above what you are currently using.

This enables an overtake manoevure to be done faster, therefore allowing for a more controlled re-entry to your lane.

Now this has not changed my driving habits. I still only overtake on sections of roads that I would in a puma with 100bhp less on tap. Therefore, in general although the brakes are crap, I would say that the way I use the power reserve, then they make little difference.

I suppose that if you have increased the peak power by say only 20BHP, then there is the desire to drive right on the peak of the power curve as much as possible.

Its just not possible to do that in Tiggr, purely because of so many external inputs, not least being the state of the roads in the uk.

#10 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 07 March 2003 - 09:48 AM

The theory with the brakes is that the car will be able to accelerate quicker and if you are in a position where you are using that, and something unexpected happens, you will actually be able to stop safely.

Someone somewhere once said that decent brakes are worth 10bhp (or something like that), trouble is they don't look so good when bragging at the bar and (like ABS brakes) you'll only realise the benefit when you have maintained control/stopped and not crashed...

The standard Puma set up is identical to the Fiesta Diesel Van, enough said :shock:

#11 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 07 March 2003 - 10:05 AM

The theory with the brakes is that the car will be able to accelerate quicker and if you are in a position where you are using that, and something unexpected happens, you will actually be able to stop safely.

As long as you are accelerating safely, and do not exceed the speed you normally would on an overtake, then the moment you take your foot off the throttle, and apply the brake, the same amount of brake effort is required to stop the car.

Ones of Newtons rule, cant remember which one.

The extra power decreases the time taken to reach the terminal velocity for the manouvure, but once the power source is removed, the energy in the car is the same, and will therefore require the same stopping force from that velocity regardless of the input power.

Better brakes are required if you change your driving habits to match the increase in power, e.g. drive faster than you normally would to use the extra power, or overtake on stretches of road you wouldn't have before

#12 User is offline   Rodman 

Posted 07 March 2003 - 10:10 AM

That's all great information guys but sometimes I really can't tell when u lot are being sarcastic. :?:

Can we have a conclusion on this. Is it a load of bull or is it really worth 300 sheets ? :shock:

#13 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 07 March 2003 - 10:11 AM

Not wishing to tempt fate, but with an almost 100% increase in power, I've never yet been in a situation where the power available has required better brakes.

I have been in situations where better brakes would have been a major help, but that has been at normal speeds rather than because I was driving at the limit of my ability.

Could be argued that I dont use the power in the car that I've paid for, and I'd agree. Most of the time the induction system sits in a vacuum!

#14 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 07 March 2003 - 10:14 AM

That's all great information guys but sometimes I really can't tell when u lot are being sarcastic.  :?:  

Can we have a conclusion on this. Is it a load of bull or is it really worth 300 sheets ?  :shock:

Save your cash, its not going to be worth it.

Go for a chip tha thas proven ability to improve the driveability, rather than increase peak power.

Colin went this way IIRC, and found that whilst no major power increase was forthcoming, the car actually performed far better.

Remember, given the design if the inlet system, no matter what chip is available, you will never be able to increase peak BHP much above what the car already does, as there is always going to be a finite amount of oxygen that can flow into the engine.

#15 User is offline   Rodman 

Posted 07 March 2003 - 10:36 AM

Cheers. smile.gif

I have seen your Tiggrs workings, what the F*** have you done to it :?:

How much have you spent and how much power does she have :?:

I'm currently thinking about spending about £4000 - Either for a new car (currently have 1.7 which I fell in love with 8 months ago) or for a full body kit, rims and maybe some engine mods.

:? :? :? SO CONFUSED
I like the sound of the Seat Leon Cupra R 2.0turbo
What to do, what to do :?

My only worry about keeping the puma is that is just won't have the power to keep up with my freinds who are soon to be having Golf gti's and leons etc.

#16 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 07 March 2003 - 10:41 AM

Cheers.  :)  

I have seen your Tiggrs workings, what the F*** have you done to it  :?:  

How much have you spent and how much power does she have  :?:  

I'm currently thinking about spending about £4000 - Either for a new car (currently have 1.7 which I fell in love with 8 months ago) or for a full body kit, rims and maybe some engine mods.

Over 12K so far (not including other mods)

5th engine, work was done by a garage that were having "trouble" and therefore quality control was not what it should have been (just applying for a job in the diplomatic corps ;-) )

4K would get you a very nice turbo conversion by Van Arken with a bit left over for a brake upgrade :-)

Im working on an article for the Bullitin Magazine (Jason, whats happening with this???) which will give proper breakdown of whats under the skin :-)

Ta

#17 User is offline   Towny1 

Posted 07 March 2003 - 11:01 AM

I suppose you could take advantage of the 7 day reurn policy to see if it is any good - but is this long enough to get a good idea? The warrenty seems pretty good as well so it might be worth a look. :?

#18 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 07 March 2003 - 11:06 AM

Ant Ewart had a superchip 2 years ago that frazzled his ECU. Completely killed it.

He had a long fight to get the company to payout.

Good luck

#19 User is offline   StephenClemente 

Posted 07 March 2003 - 11:08 AM

I like the sound of the Seat Leon Cupra R 2.0turbo
What to do, what to do

Must say, they Leon Cupra R is a very impressive car. My mate purchased one late last year and was kind enough to let me have a drive. WOW :eyes:

The Leon has 210 bhp on tap, Brembo disk, 18in rims and enough room for 4-5 adults, depending on whether you go for the recaro option or not and VAG build quality.

For a measly £500 ish pounds you can have it chipped by a company called Revo to 260 bhp :mrgreen:

If I had £18,000 going spare I would certainly be putting a deposit down sad.gif
Steve

1.7 Silver Bullet

#20 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 07 March 2003 - 11:15 AM

A very good friend of mine has one, didnt tell his wife he'd had it chipped.

She found out though when the insurance docs arrived, and it had a big "MODIFIED" entry on it

Oh dear !!!!!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked