Pumapeople: Mondeo 2.0 Throttle Body & Maf On A 1,7 Puma Engine - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mondeo 2.0 Throttle Body & Maf On A 1,7 Puma Engine

#1 User is offline   philalix 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

could you please indicate me benefit on the car if these parts are fitted ?
I guess more power using more fuel, but as I don't care about this...Only use my puma as a track day car.

I have got all FRP conversion conversion
'99 Red 1,7 Puma track aimed:FRP parts:inlet air admission,ECU map,airbox,gearbox,lsd.
Helix clutch,Polished & ported head,green filter,Piper 270 Cams,denso irridium spark plugs,red magnecor 8,5mm spark leads,AVO Coil over,powerflex,Vibra Technics everywhere,Samco engine,braided brake hoses,Milltek full exhaust Sport cat,4 disks brakes 278mm Cosworth front,Focus rear,no ABS,Dot 5.1 brake fluid, DS 2500 brake pads,Toyo R888 semi slicks, interior stripped to lighten the car,HID's,2 Red sparco Evo seats,4 points 3" harnesses.

Daily car '04 Lexus Ls 430 ultra luxury,'73 Mazda RX 2,'78 Baboulin french brand dune buggy,'05 Renault Clio RS Lhd red Trophy 40/50 from Switzerland,'81 Citroen 2 cv...

#2 User is offline   alex182 

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

In comparison are they any bigger? more air=more fuel, if your not bothered about economy i dont see the problem??

#3 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

larger inlet capactiy. It has a larger throttle plate to allow more air. But really needs a remap, but will work withou ton all be it alitle leaner than ideal
Posted Image
All stuff puma - puma technical & all things rebuilt...
See my website for Snow School Information

#4 User is offline   3cxjay 

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (volcomstone411 @ Jun 26 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
larger inlet capactiy. It has a larger throttle plate to allow more air. But really needs a remap, but will work withou ton all be it alitle leaner than ideal

What?? it wont run any leaner with a larger throttle body as the maff sensor will componaste it, its a good mod but you wont really norice alot of difference.

#5 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:41 PM

the ECU has only limited capability to adapt to changes and only within certain parameters.

A remap is the only way to get an accurate picture of the mods worth.

I suspect it would be a worth while mod if you had properly sorted head, cams, flowed inlet manifold, full remap etc!!!
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Shilly 

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

what model mondeo do these come off are they the plastic ones ?

#7 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (3cxjay @ Jun 28 2009, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What?? it wont run any leaner with a larger throttle body as the maff sensor will componaste it, its a good mod but you wont really norice alot of difference.

if its within the MAFs log table, which usually they arnt
Posted Image
All stuff puma - puma technical & all things rebuilt...
See my website for Snow School Information

#8 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Shilly @ Jul 6 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what model mondeo do these come off are they the plastic ones ?

I believe its a 2.0l Zetec E engined mondeo, mostly Mk1 mondeo SI's. The thottle body and maf is bigger. The bore of throttle body and the actual complete bore of the maf is lots bigger.

The throttle body is also found on the RS1800 fiesta.

I know of people who have used the mondeo 2.0 maf body but swapped the correct MAF sensor into its casing.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

It would be any Mk1 2.0 Mondeo then, the Si was mechanically identical to Ghia, LX, GLX, except for spring and damper settings.

Does it just bolt on, and modification to the cable connection, TPS, etc?
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#10 User is offline   3Ddunk 

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

I was running with a 2.0 tb last week at Castle Combe but can't tell if its an improvment yet, as I had a crack / hole at the end of the day on my exhaust manifold. wacko.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif ph34r.gif sad.gif blink.gif excl.gif 7.gif puke.gif stickpoke.gif ja_stupid.gif bleh.gif woot2.gif crazy.gif moony.gif

This post has been edited by 3Ddunk: 11 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

Posted Image
Warrington & District Motor Club

#11 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

Without knowing much about MAF operation other than basics.... i still think common sense alone tells me this this is going to make sod all differnce....

of all the tweaks Ford Racing did to the FRP to lift the power output without any serious engine mods, if there was any milage in this at all they would have jumped straight on this me thinks......

I can see it being more sucessful along side a forced induction system and aftermarket ecu tho... smile.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#12 User is offline   Wooshy 

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

I can garantee this will make no diffrence ! I had a RS1800 before my puma and I took off the Throttle body while I still had it and messured against the Puma TB and there was acctuley SOD all diffrence .... dont waste your time people !!! And I know the RS1800 TB is the same as the 2.0 as I used a 2.0 TB on a XR2i 16v I also have had, where with the 2.0 cams, 2.0 ECU, MAF AND TB made a diffrence.

This post has been edited by Wooshy: 12 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

#13 User is offline   hotrodspike 

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:15 AM

The 2.0l TB (one of the plastic ones, needs some modification to fit) I've got is 55mm diameter against the 48mm of the Puma's. That gives an increase of about 30% over the standard Puma airflow, so it should make some difference, even if it's the wrong way.
BOK is our co-pilot.

#14 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

its not all about size tho....!

by chamfering the edges of the body (ie where there would be a 'step' for air to drag against) is the same theory as per the motorsport bods using bell mounths in the frp plenum....it smooths air flow...equals more air...quicker. what you are effectively doing is 'blueprinting' the air flow. ie getting rid of anything thats crap....cos it certainly wont do any harm!

this combined with the slightly larger valve (i have also milled the shaft as flat as possible in 'open' position and knife edged the valve too) WILL increase throttle response (ie the head jerk factor). as per power figures..... as above, if done properly it cant hurt. have the ecu tweeked when all other small mods are done & im betting its worth 15-20 bhp just for removing some 'sh!tty edges'!!!

the plenum needs port matching to the new housing tho

i did my chamfering on the lathe at work in 3 minutes.....might do an exchange service for a tenner plus postage......

obviously flowing the head and matching the ports is gonna be the best improvement....and its on the 'to do' list

with regard the maf. its a tube that air flows down with a dirty great thick rod through it effectively halving the air flow all for 2 hair thin wires!!!! i flowed mine ages ago & it made more difference than a '10bhp' k&n panel......

#15 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

I wonder how much difference shorter inlet manifold tubes would make to throttle response??
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic