Pumapeople: My Turn To Attempt The Challenging - Pumapeople

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Turn To Attempt The Challenging beating the rust, my progress thread Rate Topic: -----

#241 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Thank you :) That explains that it is not my neglect that caused this rust but one of those things.
I will be degreasing it (then a rinse but I will try to keep it dry rather then make a wet mess and cause fresh rust)) and then using Hydrate 80 to stabilise any remaining rust I missed on all the bare metal areas when it is all ready.
I have an etch primter thing (Metal Ready) but I can't remove 100% of the rust so was going to use my Hydrate 80 which will also be compatilble with the top coating where I intend to use Dymax UB which is the underbody anti rust protection wax, so hopefuly will be a double deffense rather then a finished painted look. This is all behind the carpet liner anyway so out of daily sight so does not need to look pretty.
I also have Detox Gell (which I decided to not use as too fiddly) and Deteox C, I will check if the latter is a etch preparer. Just checked the Hydrate 80 stuff and it says 'Produces super-tough non-rubbery etched barrier'. Now that I reread about my Detox C I should have made a bath and put my wishbones in it first before going off to be zinc painted and powder coated. Bum, all that research and I still over looked something. Have to see how many years the wishbones last before needing looking at again and that time I will try to remember to use this product after the paint is blasted off.
Been under the car sitting on garage floor today with the Dremmel working some more on this area. With yesterday and today = 6 hours I ache from the very uncomfortable positions held. :lol: still not finished this area to a point I am happy with but getting there. Thankfully this is by far the worst but of the whole front so once prepared I will be faster with the rest. The whole lot will need a degrease again though to wipe off any dust particles from my Dremmeling before stabilising any rusty bits.
I have sheets of carboard going up the engine side to blank off where the belts are as I have the plastic cover removed to gain access.
It is one of those jobs where 90% of the effort is in the preparation, but with such good and easy access to the front end I am endevouring to do as much as I can. Can't say I like being under the car mentally, but needs must.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#242 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Sub frame, this had very little rust on it so I am expecting it should be fine for a long time :)
Posted Image
Just wish I had remembered I had some Detox C on the shelf as I could have removed the rust fully between shot blasting and then the zinc painting and powder coating. Will just have to see how long this lasts as powder coaters now don't have acid baths anymore.
Note the none powder coated area where the new ball joint will fit. Once fitted I will then paint by hand around the area, most likely in silver as the is the suitable paint I have and anyway it is out of sight under the car.
Posted Image
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#243 User is offline   Bentleya 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Powdercoated bits look great Kate :), look forward to seeing them at RS Day. Thats a shame about the acid baths as my wishbones had an acid bath before mine got coated.

#244 User is offline   dawesy 

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

they look awesome.
they should last ages now theyre powder coated, the original parts are just E coated black, so its not that thick a coating.
coming along well, keep it up (and book a spa day when youve done to get a good massage Posted Image
my other toy has 470bhp

#245 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

i wish i had taken photo's of mine now, they realy do look great, they will look goot against the blue of the car. i only painted mine though couldnt aford power coating them.

#246 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

Part of the powdercoat process will usually be a sandblast or acid bath anyways

#247 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Yes they were deffinately blasted and then a zinc based primer and then the powder coat on top. Bit difficult to blast all of the areas on the wishbones though due to the extension bar bit overlap.

#248 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Today I finished off the Dremmel work and wore out one of the heads :woot:
Posted Image
Food needed so stopped for lunch, yummy baked potato reheat and left over curried lentil and cauli. So left all the prepared areas covered in clingfilm to minimise rust blooming again.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Alcohol wipes clean and ready to go, used Hydrate 80 2 coats 30 minutes apart.
Posted Image
finished.
Posted Image
I can't reach the bit of the base of the alarm horn that is around the base of it, so will try a stiff brush next and then just use my anti rust underbody wax which hopfully will slow it down.

#249 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

where did you get that dremel tool? never found one with a 90 degree head

#250 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

The 90 degree head is a seperate tool.
I will dig out the part number for you.
I also have the long flexi tool but I do not find that very useful as it has little poke as it is so long from the power source.
The sand wheels are brill for rust removal.

#251 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

ok cool cheers

#252 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

The attachment that fits my Dremmel is this one.
http://www.dremel.co...il.aspx?pid=575

#253 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Been doing some more, the other side is now nearly ready along the seam edge. This near side seam was no where near as rusty as the other side, though the weld spots are equally as blown.
Posted Image
Not sure what I can do here, it looks like there is rust all around the edge of this brake line fixing plate, and not sure if I disturb it it will be worse or whether trying to remove something is better then doing nothing.
I also see in photos that rust is being picked up by the fixing for the A/C tank, but again I have sod all reach to that.
Posted Image
Picking up on Steve's thred it looks like my gear linkage bush is the one with the metal rim. I am not changing it though, rather had not planned to so got no other bush lined up to replace it with. It feels in OK condition.
Posted Image

#254 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Currently having a nightmare as the replacement ball joints from Ford do not fit my wishbones even though the part number is the same. The distance between the fixing holes has changed enough that the bolts will not drop through and remain straight by a long shot.
Other people have fitted new ford ball joints to their FRP wishbones with no issues, so I will see what they say at Ford tomorrow when I take them back in with a wishbone.
At this stage I am going to have to refit my original ball joints.

#255 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

Still making progress.
All rust Dremmeled and Hydrate 80 applied on the areas photographed.
All areas worked near or worked directly on cleaned, degreased and rinsed and ready for next stage.
Got a return on the ball joints from Ford and got new bolts (will need to Dremmel a flat edge on bolt heads to be able to use due to lack of enough clear flat surface for them to sit on).

Next tomorrow Sunday will be Hydrate 80 a rust I found today with a touch condition between chassis leg and a wrapped electric cable plus a few bits along the bottom metal peice that runs under the fan unit.
Masking tape over all chassis holes.
Take photos.
Working one hole at a time spray Dymax S-50 in. Wont be able to do any holes on the chassis legs that go either side of the engine as too many holes and the wax would go everywhere.
If got any umph left spray into the middle of the suframe.

#256 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Completed all that I had wanted to this long weekend and a few extra bits. The crappy weather helped with the incentive to keep going.
I found a hole :roflmao: good job I had a bag over the brakes as this went everywhere!
The other side was sound.
Posted Image
Ball joints Gary tidied up and they have had 2 coats of Hydrate 80 and since this photo I have done the bolt holes too. Two bolts have had to be trimmed in order to fit flat onto the wishbones.
Posted Image

Next is to Dymax UB the underside, I will endevour to do three coats ulitmately.

#257 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

One coat of Dymax UB painted on today, took a bit over 3 hours to do, boy I am starting to ache now!

#258 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Second underbody coat done yesterday, about to do the wheel arach area for a second coat. Then rest and with the weather like it is maybe a bit of gardening for a change.

#259 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

All dymax UB finished, will let it harden/dry off now.
Must remember to waggle the sub frame bolt fixings though each day.
Next is rebuild the wishbones.

#260 User is offline   dawesy 

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

good work there.
looks like the end is in sight :)
my other toy has 470bhp

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic