Pumapeople: Engine Cutting Out - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Engine Cutting Out

#1 User is offline   maries 

• Group: Members

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

My Puma has just started to play up after years with no problems. It seems to have taken a dislike to pulling away at roundabouts and junctions.. It usually happens in 2nd gear and when the car is warm... the car makes a violent jerk, the engine cuts out then immediately starts (a bit like when you do a rolling bump start). Sometimes it just does it the once, other times it does it 10times. No dash lights come on, the only light that comes on is the alarm/immobilser light by the clock??

Its a 2002 model. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

#2 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:36 PM

Welcome to Pumapeople! biggrin.gif

You'll find all sorts of facts about our favourite little coupé here. It's a veritable suppository of useful information. ja_cool.gif

But it's not all Pumas, Pumas, and even more Pumas! Oh no siree! It's also about people. 10.gif (the clue's in the name)

There's an encyclopaedia about Pumas that we're putting together (check out the 'Wiki' link in the page header) .
Heck, there's even an excellent search feature that lets you search through all the messages that we've been posting to the site over all these years. So if you're inclined to search for things (and who isn't in this crazy world in which we live), you can type something like "+engine +stall" or "+engine +stalling" (without the quotes) and it will give you all of those topics that include the words "engine" and "stall".

Now then Marie, to your question.

Well, the truth is, any one of a myriad of things can cause a modern car engine to stall (are you impressed with my command of the mother tongue? wink.gif)

Honestly, I'm surprised more people haven't posted replies, telling tales of what solved their particular stalling problem. Mind you, things can be a bit quiet here at the weekends. Weekday evenings are the busiest times, but things start to pick up on Sunday afternoons, so it might be worth giving your topic a 'bump' tomorrow evening.

In my particular case, it was the Mass Air Flow sensor (otherwise known as the MAF sensor) that gave up the ghost. The MAF sensor failed in such a way that it was telling the ECU (Engine Control Unit) that far more air was entering the engine than was the case. The ECU consequently injected more fuel into the engine in an attempt to maintain the correct fuel/air ratio, with the result that the engine was running far too rich.

I hope your stalling problem is resolved without too much expense, but I think it might require hands-on investigation to get to the bottom of it.

Don't be a stranger now. smile.gif

Ian

(the beauty of mathematics)

#3 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

D'ya think I might have scared her off? unsure.gif

Just her luck to get the site weirdo answering her question, eh? crazy.gif
Some people seem to attract them, you know.

Still, she knew the risks...

#4 User is offline   julie36 

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Mountain Lion @ Mar 17 2008, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
D'ya think I might have scared her off? unsure.gif

Just her luck to get the site weirdo answering her question, eh? crazy.gif
Some people seem to attract them, you know.

seems only u &me are reading this thread! laugh.gif
now a mazda driver !

#5 User is offline   MattC 

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Mountain Lion @ Mar 17 2008, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

roflmao.gif

The reply seemed helpful to me. Isn't is strange what boredom can do to some poeple. stickpoke.gif

#6 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

I do tend to waffle a bit when I've got time on my hands.

#7 User is offline   maries 

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:42 PM

Don't be a stranger now. smile.gif

Ian

Thanks for the reply! My dad is going to have a look at the weekend, and hopefully will sort the problem - though it does seem to be behaving itself at the moment!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic