Pumapeople: Better brakes ? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Better brakes ?

#1 User is offline   xmats 

• Group: Members

Posted 19 February 2003 - 09:59 AM

I think the initial bite of my brakes (2000MY), is way too bad. My old kat (also 2000MY) was better, but not by that much.

What can I do to improve bite and feel ?

I hear greenstuff pads are very good ?

Been thinking of getting the brake-hoses swopped for braided ones. How much would that cost, and how hard is it to do ?
Mats Bj?rklund
State Blue 1.7
Sweden

#2 User is offline   m8tte 

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:07 AM

Not used my puma much recently - but will be full time again from tomorrow CANNOT WAIT really looking forward to it

But when I used it last saturday I was disappointed with the brakes! - thinking about upgrading to the later bigger front disks/calipers etc
Any one done the upgrade - is it worth it?? (how much)

Mine is registered march 2000 with propeller wheels - do the new bigger brakes only come on those fitted with the spoke alloys? does anyone know???

I have recently been driving our Reno sport 172 (2002) has disks all round and the brakes are mega! - also been using Carolla t3 disk all round v good as well.

I would even say that the smart car I have been using has better brakes - still not much to stop - but the front disk are quite big!

:shock:

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 February 2003 - 11:25 AM

Hej.
I've got greenstuff pads on my kat and I the initial bite has not changed much.
What has change, is when the brakes are really hot they don't fade as much as the use to. I also think that the pedal "feel" is better when the brakes are a bit hot!

Mvh Jon

#4 User is offline   101 

Posted 20 February 2003 - 11:41 AM

Not used my puma much recently - but will be full time again from tomorrow CANNOT WAIT really looking forward to it

But when I used it last saturday I was disappointed with the brakes! - thinking about upgrading to the later bigger front disks/calipers etc
Any one done the upgrade - is it worth it?? (how much)

Mine is registered march 2000 with propeller wheels - do the new bigger brakes only come on those fitted with the spoke alloys? does anyone know???

I have recently been driving our Reno sport 172 (2002) has disks all round and the brakes are mega! - also been using Carolla t3 disk all round v good as well.

I would even say that the smart car I have been using has better brakes - still not much to stop - but the front disk are quite big!

:shock:

IIRC Feb 2000 was the intro date for the new brakes, however that is build date not registered date, and even then I think a few got through with the older brakes on.

:wink: :wink: :arrow:
Steve 'N' TB4
Chaos, panic, & disorder - My work here is done
HEAD ZINCHEAD OF THE YELLOW POSSE
Save A Tree, Eat Some Beaver
TWOFIVE weeks and counting TB4's semi retirement party is comingBLOODY FORD

#5 User is offline   m8tte 

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:19 PM

Yep I have the 'older' brakes

After looking at the front disks they seem to have quite a lip on the edge now - so soon time for a replacement me thinks!

Does anyone know the minimum thickness the disks should be???

Any takers to answer - which brake disks and pads worth getting??

Cheers

#6 User is offline   scala91 

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:23 PM

Minimum disk thickness is 18mm - I've just had my car serviced and it appeared as an advisory item on the bill. Mine are down to 19.2 mm at the moment, so I'm looking to upgrade in the future to 2001 spec calipers and (probably) EBC disks and pads

Sean.

#7 User is offline   m8tte 

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:22 PM

Minimum disk thickness is 18mm - I've just had my car serviced and it appeared as an advisory item on the bill.  Mine are down to 19.2 mm at the moment, so I'm looking to upgrade in the future to 2001 spec calipers and (probably) EBC disks and pads

Sean.

Thanks for that info

How much will it cost to do the 2001 spec caliper/disk conversion?? Will you be getting new calipers or second hand???

Cheers

#8 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:27 PM

Tony did mine (puma speed) Cant remember how much though...

try him on 07967 489 262

Ta

#9 User is offline   m8tte 

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:45 PM

did you have front disks and the rear drums done? or just front disks???

#10 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:54 PM

Just front disks upgraded from 98 to 2001 spec

Ta

#11 User is offline   m8tte 

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:58 PM

thanks for that

.......Rear drums hardly do any work anyway!

Did you notice a significant improvement??

#12 User is offline   carey 

Posted 24 February 2003 - 06:41 PM

I recently upgraded my 2001 spec brakes to 280mm ones, the 280's are excellent, especially on the windy roads round these parts. The old discs, callipers etc are just sitting around in my garage, if anyone's interested, they did about 20k, all working fine, just wanted to upgrade them. PM me if anybody wants to upgrade. biggrin.gif
Ex mummy of Pedro - X27 KAT

#13 User is offline   P4ULuk 

Posted 03 April 2003 - 12:27 PM

I recently upgraded my 2001 spec brakes to 280mm ones, the 280's are excellent, especially on the windy roads round these parts.  The old discs, callipers etc are just sitting around in my garage, if anyone's interested, they did about 20k, all working fine, just wanted to upgrade them.  PM me if anybody wants to upgrade.    :D

Sent you a mail but thought I'd reply here as well, who did the conversion and roughly how much was it?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.
smile.gif

#14 User is offline   Ian S 

Posted 03 April 2003 - 07:30 PM

I had my 99V upgraded to the later disks & then changed them for Reddot disks & pads. Although the larger disks were better the Reddot conversion gave them more initial bite & feel. Would highly recommend them

Ian

#15 User is offline   P4ULuk 

Posted 26 April 2003 - 05:20 PM

Today I swapped my standard discs and pads for Reddot items, I went for 'drilled and slotted' and 'fast pads' along with some nice 5.1 brake fluid.
I'll let ou guys know what they're like after they've bedded in.

Paul.
smile.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic