• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best in-car entertainment system?

#1 User is offline   PuMan 

• Group: Members

Posted 04 April 2003 - 01:49 PM

I just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...&category=21654

£235 (silver + delivery). Seems a bit expensive to me.

#2 User is offline   MarkH 

Posted 04 April 2003 - 01:53 PM

just bought a Kenwood Z838W as wanted a silver finish (to match dashboard) high spec mp3 player - unfortunately it's not arriving till monday so no chance to fit it this weekend sad.gif -
head unit looks like this:

Kenwood Z838W

It can display animations, I've found some software on a russian website that let's you make your own animations, so i've ripped some of the topgear car of the year article and it's ready to play, should look a little like:
Posted Image
and i'll be getting the facia adapter from ford and spraying it silver...
plan is to add the hard-disk boot-changer to it when it comes out in july..:

KHD-C710 Hard-disk boot-changer

I'll post some pictures of the finished result including sub, amps and false boot floor next week sometime... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
MarkH - 2002 Puma Thunder

#3 User is offline   MarkH 

Posted 04 April 2003 - 02:03 PM

I strongly disagree, you can have high bit-rate mp3's/wma's which, when in a car with all the road noise, are virtually indistiguishable from a cd - i don't doubt you'd notice a difference when using a pair of good ears on a decent home hifi....

anyhow, by high-spec i mean it's got 3 pairs of high voltage pre-outs and is one of the better mp3 players on the market, obviously you can play normal CD's when you "need" better sound quality, and of course you can add MD/CD/DAB units to it etc. etc.

The hard disk unit will also play atrac compressed files (like MD) and wav's if you really notice the "contradictory" sound quality... 8)

#4 User is offline   MarkH 

Posted 04 April 2003 - 02:04 PM

And also, i bet a "lossy" mp3 sounds better than a CD played on the crappy 6006E that came with the car...!!! :twisted:

#5 User is offline   MarkH 

Posted 04 April 2003 - 02:13 PM

perhaps, but there are many mp3 encoders, and options for each (bit rate, quality setting, stereo type etc.) - some settings are better than others, some downloaded mp3's are encoded better than others etc etc. - Also the comparisons i've done, wma's seem to have a sound quality advantage. - I've used in car mp3 players for a fair while now and most passengers do not notice any difference in quality.

Don't forget a car is pretty poor place for music, speaker positions are awfull and the panel's they are mounted in aren't quite made of mahogany... - With the environment in mind, you can't really get to audiophile quality even with a SACD....!

#6 User is offline   Ian S 

Posted 05 April 2003 - 10:30 AM

I have an Alpine head unit & 6 x CD/mp3 multichanger + amps, speakers, subs etc & I really can’t detect any obvious difference between the original CDs & good a mp3 conversion. Hence I seldom listen to anything other than the mp3s fitting 200+ tracks onto each RW CD biggrin.gif

#7 User is offline   Billy The FRP 

Posted 05 April 2003 - 11:06 AM

Is what I went for, i also used the black piece as i didnt fancy trying to match the silver! I'll grab a piccie of it late. Looks nice IMO

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic