Pumapeople: My Turn To Attempt The Challenging - Pumapeople

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Turn To Attempt The Challenging beating the rust, my progress thread Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

Today I cleaned a little more to the side where the petrol filter is and then made a start on the surounding floor pan.
I am going to say that the petrol tank area is finished as best I can do with it in situ.
I ordered new fixings bolts for it yesterday and also a new hose set to fit for when it gets installed again.
Ford Direct overspray can be seen here.

I have made a small dent into the floor pan area, it stretches on and on and is filthy!

Ah I wonder though, is this in fact the underseal colour on the bum of an FRP? As it matches that of what is found in the boot ja_stupid.gif though still a heavy smattering of overspray.

Next it is to make a start on cleaning along the exhuast run.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#42 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

looking good kate!!!
Posted Image

#43 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

thank you biggrin.gif
it is such slow going though huh.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#44 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

your not doing too bad though. give it a few weeks and it will be gleaming!!
Posted Image

#45 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

then it starts all over again as next it would be treating the rust
ho hum... a project in motion so at least started biggrin.gif

#46 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

I knew i should have borrowed a few tins of derusting gel off the navy before i left!!! laugh.gif I remember putting it on my fiesta and forgetting how corrosive it is and it dripping on me and in 5 minutes i was hopping round going "ooouuuuccccchhhhh" laugh.gif

What are you using?? Kurust??
Posted Image

#47 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

I am using products from Brit Hamber, for the rust Hydrate 80, and then Dymax UB for the underbody wax coating and Dymax S-50 for the cavaties inside and out smile.gif

Today, felt like a total waste of time sad.gif
I cleaned the tank in comparrisson quite easily, yet the underbody is weird.
At this stage I do not know if I am scrubbing at a wax layer or if in fact the odd grey stuff in road grime.
It is soo hard to shift I am worried it should not actually come off.
Tomorrow I am going to try my degreaser/cleaner neat on a very small patch to see if it shifts it then.

Any ideas please on this weird hard stuff?

#48 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Kate did ford direct just run a spray gun over the whole of the underside??? ja_stupid.gif

on my fiesta and the old red puma, the underseal was greyish colour.
Posted Image

#49 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Apr 21 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is such slow going though huh.gif

It's slow work, but when done slowly it means many times that you have done it well also. wink.gif
Look back my speed of progress... 3 months for what I did.
2010 Toyota Prius HSD / Looking for 2nd car...
Ford Puma Owners Club Finland (Facebook group)
(had: 1999 Puma, 1.7, 190 000km, still looking for next one...)

#50 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

It really looks blue under there Warren, between Ford Direct and the spray repair work in 2003 I think this was the result.

So that greyish lumpy stuff is the underseal and that it should not be that hard to scrub the garbage road etc. muck off?

3 months!! I supoose ti will take ages, I am not going to rush smile.gif

#51 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

If your still not sure then probe the grey with a cocktail stick or a screwdriver.
Posted Image

#52 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:06 AM

OT: That grey stuff reminds me some '80 movie, Ghost Busters and stuff called ectoplasm. wink.gif Call ghost busters, your kat is going to get alive... bleh.gif

Seriously speaking, some kind underseal wax or so I think. As warren suggested, probe it with some stick and if that doesn't help, try to carefully smell it if you get it on the stick.

This post has been edited by ssulti: 24 April 2009 - 05:14 AM

2010 Toyota Prius HSD / Looking for 2nd car...
Ford Puma Owners Club Finland (Facebook group)
(had: 1999 Puma, 1.7, 190 000km, still looking for next one...)

#53 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

I think the ectoplasm was purple and if you got angry with it then it expanded so Kate had better say sweet words to her car or the underseal will swallow her up!!! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#54 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Today the exhaust system was taken down including heat shields (one left to go and the manifold).
These two images just show the odd patch of rust starting, so timely to have exposed this for treatment smile.gif
Tomorrows job is cleaning all the heatshields and the four wheels huh.gif

#55 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

All easily fixable by the looks of things!!

Doesnt look too bad under there compared to some cars ive had in past ohmy.gif
Posted Image

#56 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

you can see I only missed a small area on cleaning which I was surpirsed about smile.gif The heatshields are black though so that will be a mucky job tomorrow

#57 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

you dont need new ones??? good you got them off in one piece.
Posted Image

#58 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

should add I didn't clean the right hand side, I meant I cleaned the left side better than I thought I might have

Olly got them off, and only one has a damaged fixing point which I think will be OK as the bolt thing is quite large, and if not a washer could always be fitted to overlap the missing edge bit

#59 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:13 PM

Todays update smile.gif
This shows the petrol tank removed, I am pleased at how clean this area is with little rust etc. as this can be a total rust trap behind the tank.

The tank too was not too bad, a little rust along the seam edges.

On removal of the exhaust system discovered that the back box had been rubbing, though had not been aware of this going on at all.

#60 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:40 PM

looking good so far Kate!!

Rear beam looks erm rusty!! You taking that off for blasting and powder coating one day??

Maybe new rubbers on the exhaust?? or polyurethane exhaust ones will sort it out??
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic