Pumapeople: Alternative Fuel - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alternative Fuel

#1 User is offline   t783vkj 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

Compression ratio wise,whats the limit using 97octane fuel?Has anyone looked into methanol usage as a fuel,its half the price of petrol and has an octane rating sufficiently high to support 15:1 compression ratios(30% extra power) normally aspirated ,or very high boost pressures with forced induction.Apparently petrol compatable o rings/seals get broken down in the presence of methanol, so a long term project would neccessate a fuel sysem overhaul.I was thinking if used 50\50 with petrol you'd still be able to run a higher CR ,but was hoping in a diluted use it would be less damaging to the fuel system seals.Ive used a couple of gallons in my civic ,its a standard vtec, just to see how it would run,(bearing in mind its only running a standard CR) it ran very similarly to 97 octane,just as you'd expect.Theoretically a mildly tuned 1.7 producing 150 bhp on petol,if rebuilt to run 15:1 and using methanol would produce 195 bhp( ish)assuming alternative fuel system seals could be found......Half the price of petrol....

This post has been edited by t783vkj: 22 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

#2 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

YOG found and put up extracts from one of the motoring websites, about the French introducing a fuel which was 10% methanol and 90% unleaded i think.

It wont do your engine any good at all, might even break it too.

People here have done LPG conversions onto their cars, but using a flashlube system, not the standard LPG fitment.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#3 User is offline   t783vkj 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Can you run 15:1CR on Lpg?Anyone...no didn't think so.

This post has been edited by t783vkj: 23 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic