Pumapeople: Please Help- Possible Puma Replacement? - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please Help- Possible Puma Replacement? (something younger/prettier on a forecourt near me!)!

#1 User is offline   flo 

• Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

Hi all,
The local Ford garage that sold me my Puma 2 yrs ago now has a StreetKa Winter Ed (removable Hard-top) with full 'Pininfarina' (spellinge?) styling...leather heated seats ...etc.

He wants £7995 - '04 plate - 6000 miles (!)

My Puma is FSH 51plate in black with all the luxury Black features (f1 wheels etc) but without the leather.....45000 miles

It is in nice condition with new c/belt and and all servicing by themselves...but I haven't asked them yet about trade values?

I have driven the streetka 'though and it seems to combine a lot of the things I like about the Ka and the Puma...performance not up to Puma but handling seems to make it feel like a good drive? It also has the Puma gearknob!

Blue.

I don't really care if it has those hair-dressery connotations...some of my best friends are hairdressers.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts you might have??

Seems like a VERY low mileage Pumaish car for perhaps £3-4 k if I play it right?

Or Not?

Best W.

flo

This post has been edited by flo: 27 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

-

#2 User is offline   boz581 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

if you like the motor ask to put a refundable deposit down on it . then advertise yours privatley for a week,you will get a better price privatley for sure, if you dont sell it trade it on the ka at the dealer.
there was a puma at my local ford dealer two weeks ago v similar to yours for 6495 with full warranty.
i reckon you would be lucky if he offered you £4500 on a trade deal, look up the retail price in parkers.
good luck
oh and i think the street ka looks cool
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

I refuse to have a battle of witts with an unarmed opponent....!

#3 User is offline   pumarv6 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

The Puma will be easier to shift than the StreetKa, so make sure he gives you a decent price.

Hopefully the hardtop option will be more watertight than the soft top version. I have yet to meet an owner whose StreetKa didn't leak.

#4 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

You could test drive the StreetKa to see what you think, or drive your Puma 1.7 around with the handbrake on to get similar perfomancet huh.gif

Also the interior plastics/finish are amongst the worst I've ever seen on a car built in a factory, makes a Fiat Cinquecento feel like a Merc...

But you be the judge...

#5 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

Compared with a puma the streetka is very low tech. Does share drivetrain and gearbox with the puma however, so its not all bad. Engine is the main weak link.
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#6 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

Thinking of trading a Puma for a StreetKa?

You do indeed need help
No Comment

#7 User is offline   flo 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for replies folks.......

The dealer has offered me 4750 (Parkers say £3750! ohmy.gif ) for the Puma so ballpark figures seem about right when you consider the service history and above average condition........it will cost me 3250 to trade up (or DOWN.....I'm still not sure!) to a car with virtually no miles on it?

One thing is for sure-I will have to get another car one day and something preferably a bit newer but still 'budget' sporty?
I had resigned myself to something like a Mini Cooper but 2nd hand prices still pushing the £10k+ mark on low-mileage examples of these.

Decisions...decisions..... huh.gif ...or perhaps I really DO need pumanurse to pull the screens 'round my bed?

flo

PS...BOK....aren't the interior bits all out of the same bin as the Ka and Puma anyway? They looked suspiciously identical to bits in my old Ka and while these weren't thrilling I still kind of liked their honest cheapness and swoopy plastic chic!!

This post has been edited by flo: 27 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

-

#8 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:51 PM

dont do it!! ive driven one and frankly it had no poke!

keep the kat - you know it makes sense!
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#9 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

biggest compromise is it is only a 2 seater.
If me and you want a change look at the SportKa.
British weather being what it is, and theft... I would not have a soft top for me though it is kinda nice/funky looking smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#10 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (flo @ Jan 27 2007, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS...BOK....aren't the interior bits all out of the same bin as the Ka and Puma anyway? They looked suspiciously identical to bits in my old Ka and while these weren't thrilling I still kind of liked their honest cheapness and swoopy plastic chic!!

Some of the parts are shared (e.g. dash moulding) but not all...I'll be specific though. Try pushing + pulling the plastic moulding that houses the interior light- IIRC it's fitted behind the front seats and think there is also a lockable storage comaprtment between the seat backs. I can't believe they thought that worthy on a £12k car. And also the airbag deactivation switch which looks like it's off some throwaway christmas cracker toy.

On a £5k Ka it's OK just not on something that's supposed to be 'upmarket'. If it cost £1500 it might be forgiven.

For one I'd love to know how all those flimsy bits will stay in place after a couple of years of scuttle shake...let alone the first day.

I give it one thing, at least it's not a 'CC' design.

#11 Guest_darrenspalmer_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

I'm seriously tempted by something like this.....

Autotrader link

#12 User is offline   Charlotte 

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

Streetka/Sportka instead of a Puma????????? crazy crazy crazy...damn ugly cars if you ask me
Warning : some of my posts may contain sarcasm,irony,cynicism or a combination of all three.

#13 User is offline   specky1 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (darrenspalmer @ Jan 27 2007, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Autotrader link

Thats more like it ja_cool.gif

#14 Guest_XIIVVX_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:17 AM

"Prettier"

Should you be driving with eyesight like that?

XIIVVX

#15 User is offline   Zero 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:45 AM

I "kinda" like the StreetKa, prefer the SportsKa though, neither as nice as the Puma though. You'll struggle to satisfactory replace the Puma (for the money), mark my words............

This post has been edited by Zero: 28 January 2007 - 01:46 AM

Zero

#16 User is offline   scumski 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:50 AM

if someone offered me one for the Puma tomorrow.............I would say no.Dealers make money.Why trade in a perfectly good car with a full history for something newer.And yes it is low mileage but how were those miles driven.Private ,demonstrator company?You never can tell.

#17 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (flo @ Jan 27 2007, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The dealer has offered me 4750 (Parkers say £3750! ohmy.gif ) for the Puma...

Like I said, he'll have no problems selling the Puma on, whereas that StreetKa is probably a millstone round his neck.

#18 User is offline   Digital 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (darrenspalmer @ Jan 27 2007, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Autotrader link

good.gif But probably not a realistic alternative to a StreetKa biggrin.gif
1998 Jewel Green Ford Puma 1.7
2005 Chrome Orange Lotus Exige S2

#19 User is offline   flo 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

Ok...Ok...... rolleyes.gif !

I think I can see where this is going........?

I concede to the massed wisdom of Pumapeople and think I will just pass this off as a minor abberation and go back on my medication.
You are right-why trade in a perfectly good Puma against some young upstart who will end up being embarrassing at parties.

I was just momentarily distracted by the StreetKa's 'look at me-aren't I bonkers?' persona but solemnley promise not to have any more affairs.

Now I have to go out and explain it all to my Puma sleep.gif .

flo
-

#20 User is offline   Sue 

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

Many moons ago at the motor show the concept of the StreetKa was there and many of us fell in love with it. Had it been made like that it would have been a stunner but what actually arrived was just not the same.

When looking for a replacement for my Puma or even thinking (momentarily) of keeping it and also buying a soft top for the summer months, I did consider a winter edition of the StreetKa with the hard top option.
However my Ford salesman, who I've bought loads of cars from in the past, put me off it...he couldn't even begin to reason why I'd be thinking of buying one, and he was losing a sale from me in the process.
His words of wisdom were 'you must have more money than sense, keep your money in the bank and keep the Puma' laugh.gif
I trust him, and took his advice (for a while anyway)
Now I look at them ....especially with the soft top up puke.gif and question my own sanity for even thinking of it !!!
It's just way too girlie in my opinion, the Puma is curvy but not 'girlie'
In this country the drop top could only be used for about 7 and half minutes per year, and therefore it's got to look good with the top up, and I'm afraid it looks hideous sad.gif
but thats just my 2p wink.gif
Sue
ZoomZoom

http://www.justgiving.com/bokbok - "Just Giving Site" for the BHWT in Colin's Memory

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic