Pumapeople: Frp Thoughts - 3 Months In - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Frp Thoughts - 3 Months In FRP 347

#1 User is offline   maineman1963 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

Had the FRP now just about 3 months having been so impressed by the 1.7 std I had back in 98. My impressions to date are :
1. The FRP is great on tight twisty roads if they are fairly smooth otherwise the skitty nature of the ride takes over. Not sure I drive it any harder than I did the std 1.7 as there is often a feeling of having to hang on. Maybe Powerflex bushes would help ? The FRP brakes are superb, standard with drums are not.
2. I have to say it revs easily but to me doesnt feel that quick but makes a good noise getting there. Love the pops and bangs. I have a 530d BMW with 193 bhp in a heavy car and that gives the FRP a run for the money ( as you would expect with +40 bhp and loads more torque) except for the tight and twisty's ! My mate drove my FRP with me in the Beemer on the straight my auto 530d had the legs and only lost out on back roads but the ride of the BMW with M Sports suspension is miles better and hence not much slower . I know this is not a fair challenge a Å“22k car new v a Å“43k new ( to the previous owner !) but for FRP money you can get serious performance cars now.
3. I love the look of the FRP but maybe a lilttle disappointed by the overall performance but maybe I expected too much but then these were Å“22k new , more than a 215bhp Impreza and the same as I paid for a new Impreza STI7 in 2001 ( with 310 bhp std etc). Also there maybe a chance of a 280 bhp Impreza P1 coming up so will test my will power !
4. This forum is full of very friendly and helpful Puma owners the likes of which I have not seen on other forums for other makes. hope to get to a meet assuming I can resist the lure of that P1 !
ex-owner of FRP 347 believe it is now R.I.P ! ...... now driving ....................... yes.... a Mondeo diesel. so per my daughter I am now Mondeo man, after Scoobies, BMW M5 etc etc .... ex-wife probably thinks how the not so mighty have fallen !!!

#2 User is offline   k18dan 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:39 PM

Impreza's are sooo common, There is also 3x P1's driving around down here, thats quite alot for a small town, they just dont look special, I say stick with the FRP ja_cool.gif
FRP 225
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   maineman1963 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

Hia ! You are right but there were only 1000 P1's and not all have been kept out of ditches. Also took the FRP out and it rained and was it twitchy. But those pops and bangs hmmmmmmmmmmm ! A dilemma.
ex-owner of FRP 347 believe it is now R.I.P ! ...... now driving ....................... yes.... a Mondeo diesel. so per my daughter I am now Mondeo man, after Scoobies, BMW M5 etc etc .... ex-wife probably thinks how the not so mighty have fallen !!!

#4 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (maineman1963 @ Aug 2 2006, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had the FRP now just about 3 months having been so impressed by the 1.7 std I had back in 98. My impressions to date are :
1. The FRP is great on tight twisty roads if they are fairly smooth otherwise the skitty nature of the ride takes over. Not sure I drive it any harder than I did the std 1.7 as there is often a feeling of having to hang on. Maybe Powerflex bushes would help ? The FRP brakes are superb, standard with drums are not.
2. I have to say it revs easily but to me doesnt feel that quick but makes a good noise getting there. Love the pops and bangs. I have a 530d BMW with 193 bhp in a heavy car and that gives the FRP a run for the money ( as you would expect with +40 bhp and loads more torque) except for the tight and twisty's ! My mate drove my FRP with me in the Beemer on the straight my auto 530d had the legs and only lost out on back roads but the ride of the BMW with M Sports suspension is miles better and hence not much slower . I know this is not a fair challenge a Å“22k car new v a Å“43k new ( to the previous owner !) but for FRP money you can get serious performance cars now.
3. I love the look of the FRP but maybe a lilttle disappointed by the overall performance but maybe I expected too much but then these were Å“22k new , more than a 215bhp Impreza and the same as I paid for a new Impreza STI7 in 2001 ( with 310 bhp std etc). Also there maybe a chance of a 280 bhp Impreza P1 coming up so will test my will power !
4. This forum is full of very friendly and helpful Puma owners the likes of which I have not seen on other forums for other makes. hope to get to a meet assuming I can resist the lure of that P1 !

For me the FRP is reasonably affordable fun second hand and represents a part of Fords mor extravagant attempts to produce an enthusiasts car when they'd walked away from the RS badge.

An Impretza is I'm sure a more highly powered handful however you see Impretza's in all their various formats everywhere, they are two a penny. How many FRP's do you see every day on the road, that to me is the unique pleasure of owning one. To me V4 is a long term interesting car for Sian to use daily me to have some fun with and possiibly I wont lose a fortune in owning him. Time will tell.

Perhaps it should really have 180 - 200 bhp to make it super fun but its still fun on a budget as it is.

Dave

#5 User is offline   maineman1963 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:00 PM

Dave suspect you are right, I have yet to see another FRP on the road save for the one that passed us when picking up mine in Wigan ! Suspect I will hang on to it but the 2 door P1 Impreza is to the Impreza what the FRP is to the Puma !

#6 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (maineman1963 @ Aug 2 2006, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dave suspect you are right, I have yet to see another FRP on the road save for the one that passed us when picking up mine in Wigan ! Suspect I will hang on to it but the 2 door P1 Impreza is to the Impreza what the FRP is to the Puma !

Accepted but does it have the looks of an FRP. Have to say Sian and I were impressed at rally day with the collection of RB Subarus but I'm happy with FRUP.

#7 User is offline   maineman1963 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:45 PM

Richard Burns was a guy I admired you are so lucky to have had him sign V4 ! I would be tempted by a RB5 Subaru. The FRP is eyecatching and the lines are wonderful. But..... a car for me is primarily for driving, if it looks good too then that is a bonus, and the P1 has neck snapping performance..... maybe the project for 2007 and FRP347 is for 2006 as it does have that feel good factor ( unless it rains ! - twitchy and my wipers have packed up).

That said I share ownership of a Subaru SVX which makes the FRP look common. Who has seen one of these ? No... well you are not alone as less than 200 in the UK ! 6 cylinder boxer 230 bhp 4 wd, 2 door coupe, strange split front windows. Superb cruiser not a throw around car.

This post has been edited by maineman1963: 02 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:47 PM

nice write up smile.gif

talking of which the FRP got a lot of interest at Rally Day, lots of people stopped and took photos and looked in side them... did not see the same with the Imprezza, yes the amount looked fab but they weren't drawing the eye as much.

Take your FRP on track biggrin.gif find a twisty one and go have some fun ja_cool.gif there will always be the want for more power so I ignore that one wink.gif it is a demanding car if driven hard as it is fairly raw there are no gizmos or electronics to keep you on the road, you either drive it or bin it huh.gif I only drive hard when on track biggrin.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#9 User is offline   maineman1963 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:05 PM

Kat hia. I know what you mean, the Imprezas do not catch the eye fullstop. I sold my 1.7 and went to to an Impreza but had to think long and hard because of the ugly looks. But the driving experience was just spot on. I may well take 347 to a track day and would like to meet other PP'ers and this is one very good reason to keep the FRP ! I don't claim to be a good driver I know my limits and they are lower than that of the cars I drive. The FRP feels so twitchy and in the wet was worse than a M5 I had where my tyres were wearing ! But you adapt to the conditions etc. I know 347 needs money spending on it: cambelt ( yes I know overdue car was serviced at PS in July 2005 yet to confirm belt was done though prior to my ownership), service, stone chips and getting rid of these god awful protectors on the arches - what cretin fitted them i know not, and I want original wheels, new exhaust/manifold. Oh and wifey wants the house extending hmmmmm.

#10 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (maineman1963 @ Aug 2 2006, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That said I share ownership of a Subaru SVX which makes the FRP look common. Who has seen one of these ? No... well you are not alone as less than 200 in the UK ! 6 cylinder boxer 230 bhp 4 wd, 2 door coupe, strange split front windows. Superb cruiser not a throw around car.

One parked outside out office the other day...bet NO ONE knew what it was. I did smile.gif They still didn't know what it was even after I'd told them...

Pricey car when new at Å“27k I have an issue of Performance Car where it was tested against a Jaguar XJS 4.0...just about the nearest rival in the UK.

Strange but nowhere near as strange as the XT Coup‚/Alcyone. When did anyone last see one of those?

I mean check out the dash/steering wheel...

roflmao.gif

#11 User is offline   maineman1963 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

Colin hia ! The Alcyone is the import version of the SVX not the XT which was a very weird and rather naff car ! Subaru anorak me who needs to get out more lol ! Our SVX is 11 yrs old and has not missed a beat ( was over Å“32k new to previous owner) and no rust etc.

#12 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (maineman1963 @ Aug 2 2006, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Colin hia ! The Alcyone is the import version of the SVX not the XT which was a very weird and rather naff car ! Subaru anorak me who needs to get out more lol ! Our SVX is 11 yrs old and has not missed a beat ( was over Å“32k new to previous owner) and no rust etc.

I thought the JDM XT was called the Alcyone as well?

Subaru anorak eh? I reckon I'm more of an old school Citro‰n anorak myself sleep.gif

The SVX was a premium quality car and should last forever in the right hands...will surely be collectable (but not necessarily valuable) in years to come smile.gif
I for one fancy the current shape JDM Forester STI in white, probably purchsed via Litchfields. Impreza STI performance, Volvo looks cool.gif

This post has been edited by BOK: 02 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

#13 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

The FRP was never about BHP, when i wanted to buy an FRP I had no clue whatsoever about the history, power, tickfords... noisy brakes and so on......

I saw the car, new it was a boy racer version of the already great puma package, and just had to own one..... i guess if have know what i know now I would have probably stayed away, even tho i love it to bits now it's all paid for and working well....

The FRP is really a unique car, it looks like it can P*** all over anything on the road, but it can't....... the upgrades are inspired by the Rally car, but it is not a rally car....... Even the brakes are designed around the rally items with no externals boots and yet the car is a road car and the brakes were custom designed for that car, so why bolt on such an 'unfriendly' setup.... The wheels are nice to look at but weigh a ton and buckle with the slightest knock...

Tiff kind of summed it up in his review (even tho i didn't like most of it) when he said it was like a childs toy.... it is an expensive collector's toy, but still real fun and rewarding to drive, it's just a shame that so few people out there in the general public know anything about the car, which has hit the value's so hard..... 9.gif

I won't be letting mine go for silly money cool.gif

10.gif 10.gif

Chris

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 02 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#14 User is offline   maineman1963 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

You maybe right Colin re Alcyone but I have only ever seen it on the SVX. Bit OT for a FRP thread ooopss naughty boy. Weighing up getting original wheels for 347 and few for sale on here ! have to say my FRP on the drive does get admiring looks from people walking past the house......

#15 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:59 PM

The FRP is about the synergy of looks, sounds and not having to see another one on the road for months - it's unique...
RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#16 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (maineman1963 @ Aug 2 2006, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You maybe right Colin re Alcyone but I have only ever seen it on the SVX. Bit OT for a FRP thread ooopss naughty boy. Weighing up getting original wheels for 347 and few for sale on here ! have to say my FRP on the drive does get admiring looks from people walking past the house......

To get back on subject I'll never forget the day I picked up my FRP- 23rd December 2001.
Was driving through a town centre when this little boy with his dad actually stopped, stared and then pointed at the car and said 'Wow look at that car!'

Lots of cars try too hard but it's just another day in an FRP smile.gif
And all without any huge booming ICE installs, ugly 'graphics', whistling turbos, blatant speeding to get attention, dump valves, stupid bodykits, huge chromed wheels or painting it a 'hey look at me I'm barmy I am' colour 10.gif

#17 User is offline   maineman1963 

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

Not quite unique PG as there were 500 or so but k now what you mean 10.gif it is a beautiful car . FRP has one thing in common with John Ellis former guitarist with the Stranglers- both described in reviews as lard arsed lol !

#18 User is offline   Dave aka therave 

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (maineman1963 @ Aug 2 2006, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not quite unique PG as there were 500 or so but k now what you mean 10.gif it is a beautiful car . FRP has one thing in common with John Ellis former guitarist with the Stranglers- both described in reviews as lard arsed lol !

Hi. Owned a FRP for 6 weeks now. Previous cars FRS, Fiesta St. Scooby may have more power and 4 wheel d, but I have still to find a car that will exit a corner as fast as an FRP, plus a Scooby will never acheve 35mpg!! Its a good thing that It will only do 130mph ish, as u will not bother trying to find its top speed. Been there done that with FRS @ 150.

Dave.

#19 User is offline   maineman1963 

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

Hello to another Dave ! Agree the more I drive the FRP the more I love it. It sure does pull out corners but not quite like a STI Impreza but hey it does have half the bhp ! Try a 400 bhp rwd M5 out of bends phewwwwwwwwww !

#20 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Dave aka therave @ Aug 22 2006, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi. Owned a FRP for 6 weeks now. Previous cars FRS, Fiesta St. Scooby may have more power and 4 wheel d, but I have still to find a car that will exit a corner as fast as an FRP, plus a Scooby will never acheve 35mpg!! Its a good thing that It will only do 130mph ish, as u will not bother trying to find its top speed. Been there done that with FRS @ 150.

Dave.

think i showed you on the way to ford fair dave what the frp can do smile.gif smile.gif

glad your enjoying it matey.
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic