Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Loosen Puma Suspension

#1 User is offline   faldekan 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I have owned a puma for about 4 years now and my backside is getting tired of what I feel is overly-hard suspension. I dont know if it is set to factory defaults or what but I would like to know how I can soften the suspension so I dont have to avoid every pit and bump in the road!

Is it something I can attempt with a simple car jack or do I need to get a garage to hoist the car up and loosen it? I'm a decent diy mechanic and willing to have a go at anything, just not an expert..

Thanks,

Tom.

#2 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

sounds like your bushes and top mounts are getting long in the tooth

#3 User is offline   faldekan 

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

View PostScubaSteve, on 17 August 2010 - 03:25 PM, said:

sounds like your bushes and top mounts are getting long in the tooth

Hi, ok thanks for the heads-up. I'm guessing that is a pretty full on job even for someone with strong will and a decent tool box like me? Could it be done on the roadside?

#4 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

you will need a trolley jack (2 helps), a deep swan neck 16mm (i think from memory), some allen keys, spring compressors, sockets etc

the most important thing is to check you can get a spanner over the nut at the top of the strut in the engine bay as you will need to turn that nut but hold the center still with an allen key else the whole lot will spin

#5 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:28 AM

Front top nut is an 18mm and you've a variety underneath with the strut, ARB, brake tag etc.

Plus it won't make it any more comfortable per se. Could be that the dampers need changing?

Are you running standard wheels? Difficult to diagnose really and I wouldn't be starting anything unless you're clear what you're doing and what for.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic