Pumapeople: Best 258Mm Upgrade Discs & Pads? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best 258Mm Upgrade Discs & Pads?

#1 User is offline   CarlosTheJackal 

• Group: Members

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

Can anyone recommend good upgrades for the standard discs and pads on my 2000 (258mm) 1.7? The ones on it are slightly warped, so I may as well fit the best I can.

BTW, I'm very definitely NOT looking to swap to Mondeo 300mm parts or similar mods; I know they'd transform it, but I'm just looking for recommendations for 'better', insurance-friendly, standard parts.

I use EBC Yellowstuff pads and standard discs in my supercharged MX5 and they're fantastic: loads of bite from cold, great feel and no fade, even on track. So, I was hoping to find Yellowstuff pads for the Puma, but they don't seem to make them, or even Redstuff - unless anyone else knows the part numbers?

In which case, are Greenstuff really the best option, or do any of you have better recommendations ... and what's the perceived wisdom on discs? Slotted and grooved? Those swanky Ultimax black ones look nice, but they're £130, so if standard Mintex are the way to go, I'll save my cash.

All advice gratefully received!

Carlos

#2 User is offline   jimmer69 

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

I've got EBC drilled and grooved discs and standard motorfactor pads. They were an improvement of the standard items but considering experimenting with pads a little to get a little more bite.

#3 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

mintex 1144's will be the best pads youve ever tried

#4 User is offline   iggy 

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

I am a parts advisor for a large motorfactors in the midlands and have fitted EBC turbo grooved disc's and greenstuff pads to my wifes 2001 puma
these are superb when bedded in fully.

Part number for disc's = GD895 and come as a pair

Greenstuff pads = DP21320 a set

#5 User is offline   SkunkMunkey3000 

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

I'm using the larger discs and pads off a Fiesta ST and have a combination of Red Dot discs and Mintex 1144 pads, one hell of an improvement over the standard and would recommend this combination even if keeping it to the standard size. I'll warn you though the Mintex ones squeak quite a lot even when fully greased up!

#6 User is offline   CarlosTheJackal 

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

Ace stuff - thanks a million for all the feedback. The Mintex route seems to be the obvious one ... I did find a part number for YellowStuff in the end, but as there's so much support for the 1144s, I'll give them a try for comparison.

I've always found on trackday stuff that the biggest improvement has come from having the right pad compound rather than a change in disc - the MX5 and the Senator I track day'd before it would outbrake all sorts of stuff, even though they were running standard discs (it was the YellowStuff pads that made the difference).

So, I'm gonna try stock Mintex discs paired with 1144s a try ... and if they turn out to be poor after 1,000 miles or so, I'll upgrade the discs to some Red Dot or EBC grooved jobbies and try them with the 1144s.

Discs are easy through eBay, but anyone know of a good supplier of the 1144s? Full part number is MDB2314M1144. They're nowhere near as well-stocked as EBCs, so the best I can find is Camskill at £63.80 delivered. Still a few quid cheaper than YellowStuff, mind. :-D

Cheers again!

#7 User is offline   wrayvon 

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

I just bought a set of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...2#ht_1265wt_911

Bargain I thought. They have certainly improved mine, though my old ones were in need of replacing!
Sam Wray
Web Developer
-----------------------
2000 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux

#8 User is offline   CarlosTheJackal 

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

That's a great deal - good find!

I managed to track down a local motor factor who'll do me a superb deal on the 1144 pads just as soon as Mintex get some in stock themselves - two weeks and counting - along with the same discs as yours. The current stuff is all fine for now, though, so there's no immediate panic.

Thanks, all, for the advice - what an ace forum this is!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic