Pumapeople: Wizard Of Nos Works His Magic On #453.. Nitrous Install - Pumapeople

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wizard Of Nos Works His Magic On #453.. Nitrous Install

#61 User is offline   Noswizard 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

Yes that sums it up and that's why you got a "brief" surge before it shut down.

#62 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

2 Bottles in to my Nitrous project now...thought i'd post a piccy of the plugs... huh.gif

these are Denso Iridiums (ITV20's) which are 1 Grade colder than the stndard ITV16's which i had fitted before....

from my limited knowledge it appears that not many threads show burning here at the top so i guess i should probably go back to the ITV16's...

i'm sure there are some engine tech'ies that could write an essay based on this picture.. biggrin.gif not too sure why there is so much oil around the rest of the threads..? mellow.gif

Chris
frp453

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 23 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#63 User is offline   racingpuma1982 

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

Mine were exactly like that when i changed them last year. not running NOS though huh.gif

#64 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:30 AM

these are Denso Iridiums (ITV20's) which are 1 Grade colder than the stndard ITV16's which i had fitted before....

I'm not a big fan of Denso plugs and although a trusted friend assures me he's had good results from them, when I tested over 200 plugs of different makes some 15 to 20 years ago, Denso came out as the worst. Now they may have improved in that time but then so could all the other manufacturers, in which case they could still be the worst.
I'd always use NGK but the first thing I'd do is as follows;
1) Switch the middle 2 plugs for the outer 2 and then run it for a few miles without using nitrous then post another pic
2) Repeat but this time use a couple of shots of nitrous then post another pic
3) Switch back to your stock plugs (assuming they can handle the extra heat OK) and repeat the process
4) If there's any doubt about handling the heat do NOT use nitrous
5) Put a set of NGK plugs in and repeat above

from my limited knowledge it appears that not many threads show burning here at the top so i guess i should probably go back to the ITV16's...

NONE of the threads of a plug SHOULD show burning, that's usually an indication that the plug is too long and has threads protruding into the chamber (which can be deadly), or that the threads are not a good fit. If anyone says otherwise I'd want to hear a good reasons to support it.

i'm sure there are some engine tech'ies that could write an essay based on this picture.. biggrin.gif not too sure why there is so much oil around the rest of the threads..? mellow.gif

On centre plug heads, it's common for the cam cover gaskets to leak a small amount of oil down in to the plug wells. The fact that it looks to have come from the outside and is not on the body of the threads, with little to no sign of any oil being burned on the plug tip itself, indicates that it's not a major concern.
Sorry I didn't have time for an essay. happy.gif

This post has been edited by Noswizard: 24 April 2008 - 02:31 AM

#65 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

mm interestng...

one of the links i have back at home suggested that burning/dark colour on the threads indicated the correct heat range...

ie... a couple of threads - about right.... no threads..- too cold... ja_stupid.gif i'll have another read later.. maybe iv'e misread it... blush.gif

On centre plug heads, it's common for the cam cover gaskets to leak a small amount of oil down in to the plug wells. The fact that it looks to have come from the outside and is not on the body of the threads, with little to no sign of any oil being burned on the plug tip itself, indicates that it's not a major concern.

the cam cover did leak a little a few months back after a cambelt change.... thats all sorted now... i guess there must still be some around the threaded area then...i'll have to see if i can wipe some of it away... ja_cool.gif

anyway.... so far so good ja_cool.gif the car is running really well and seems to soak up the extra power with no difficulty at all....

been out yesterday for another little country road session nearby... and this time tweaked the settings as Trev suggested... so that the build time is slightly shorter and the power is controlled by using the %/power curve settings.... it's pulling really well in every gear now w00t.gif also, i managed to get the activation in first without any problem just by flooring it... lol and making sure the first two power settings for that gear are set to 0 0 20 20 40 % and this seemed to be fine and disn't outstrip the grip on the tyres at all....

the only problem is actually finding the right stretch of road to test on.... i have a few fairly empty roads nearby, but it's still a tricky buisness waiting for the right moment.... i think i need a visit to Santa Pod... smile.gif smile.gif

the car seems quite tame without it now... laugh.gif

need another refill now too.... laugh.gif

Chris

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 24 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#66 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:41 PM

one of the links i have back at home suggested that burning/dark colour on the threads indicated the correct heat range...

ie... a couple of threads - about right.... no threads..- too cold... ja_stupid.gif i'll have another read later.. maybe iv'e misread it... blush.gif

NONE of the threads should be exposed to the flame front to become coloured, as they should be sat within the head and the heat should be transferred from the plug to the head along the entire threaded section.
The plug grade is determined by the colouration of the ground strap ONLY, with the heat band at the bend of the electrode being correct.

the cam cover did leak a little a few months back after a cambelt change.... thats all sorted now... i guess there must still be some around the threaded area then...i'll have to see if i can wipe some of it away... ja_cool.gif

That would explain it

anyway.... so far so good ja_cool.gif the car is running really well and seems to soak up the extra power with no difficulty at all....

been out yesterday for another little country road session nearby... and this time tweaked the settings as Trev suggested... so that the build time is slightly shorter and the power is controlled by using the %/power curve settings.... it's pulling really well in every gear now w00t.gif also, i managed to get the activation in first without any problem just by flooring it... lol and making sure the first two power settings for that gear are set to 0 0 20 20 40 % and this seemed to be fine and disn't outstrip the grip on the tyres at all....

the only problem is actually finding the right stretch of road to test on.... i have a few fairly empty roads nearby, but it's still a tricky buisness waiting for the right moment.... i think i need a visit to Santa Pod... smile.gif smile.gif

cool.gif

the car seems quite tame without it now... laugh.gif

Just think if you'd taken the NA route, you'd have lost that tame element, which makes normal driving so much more pleasant than if you had a cammy NA alternative. cool.gif

#67 User is offline   RED IMPACT 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (eldoodarino @ Apr 24 2008, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
need another refill now too.... laugh.gif

How many is that now chris...?! laugh.gif

#68 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

2 biggrin.gif
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#69 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

How much is a refill?

#70 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

Refills vary widely....

locally i found a place for £4.50 / LB (£45 for 11LB bottle).. which is pretty reasonable...i know there are places that charge £5 and £6 / LB which can get quite expensive i imagine... huh.gif

by far the best route is to get your own BIG bottle and syphon off your own refills.... (probably the route i will go soon) i think then we are talking a much more reasonable £3 / LB ja_cool.gif but of course with a bigger initial outlay...

Chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#71 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

Any more plug shots yet?

#72 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

give me chance.. laugh.gif

i'll have another spin tomorrow and pull them out again... ja_cool.gif

iv'e swapped in the inners for the outers as you described....

smile.gif
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#73 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

Listen I give quick service, so I expect quick responses tongue.gif laugh.gif

#74 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

just a tiny little update... havn't had time to pull out the plugs yet...been a bit busy, but i will...

this is to do with MPG....

was expecting to see noticable drop in MPG recently due to Nitrous use and just generally driving harder in the warmer days etc...

also, i'm running BP Ultimate which i know is supposed to give you more miles per tank , iv'e never really noticed it...

anyway.. last two tanks of fuel, with a mixture of Nitrous use, motroway commuting and occasional spurts here and there...

34mpg tongue.gif

just filled back to the cap again tonight with 34.4 ltr (car was facing slightly uphill, so not a max fill) with 257 miles on the clock....

clearly you can get more than this, but i thought this was exceptional considering iv'e giving it quite a bit of 'stick' smile.gif

ja_cool.gif ja_cool.gif

Chris

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 08 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#75 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Thats very good going. Is it remapped to run on the 97?

This post has been edited by tom192: 07 May 2008 - 09:47 PM

#76 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

nope... a higher Ron petrol is 'benificial' when using Nitrous as it reduces risk of detonation (on larger jet sizes especially....)

not really so much of an issue with a 50hp tho... smile.gif

smile.gif
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#77 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

you would be better off with shell V-power then thats 99 now i think isnt it?

Its a good job its doing well on fuel with a thirst for super and NOS!

#78 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Noswizard @ Apr 29 2008, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Listen I give quick service, so I expect quick responses tongue.gif laugh.gif

biggrin.gif ok here we go....

3 Bottles gone now... so time for another piccy to see how the iridium plugs are going so far....

looks to me like the timing mark on the ground strap is getting higher from left to right...? unsure.gif

Chris

Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#79 User is offline   Noswizard 

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

Just think HOW BAD your fuel consumption would be if you'd used conventional tuning methods to reach the same gains as you've achieved with nitrous.

Then think about the extra inertia loadings you'd be subjecting your engine to, if you had to keep the engine working in the higher rpm range that would require.

So..... far from being the engine killer and expensive alternative to NA tuning, that those with far from adequate knowledge on either form of tuning would have you believe, it's actually a reasonably priced and safer method of enhancing performance PLUS it delivers a MUCH BIGGER BUZZ per ££££. cool.gif

#80 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

also checked my oil today.... normally it would be using a bit when driving hard in the upper revs.... trying to squeese out every bit of power lol....

it hasn't moved huh.gif ... as i'm not really hitting 7k rpm anymore... don't need to...

tongue.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 11 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic