Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Engine Oil Burning/leak

#1 User is offline   misslidia 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

Hi all

What it is, I own R reg Puma 1.7 VCT with 95k on the clock.
I checked the engine oil level precisely 5 weeks ago and noticed it was at minimum level - so I topped it up with half a litre of oil, which took it to between min and max marks (exactly in the middle).

I checked the oil level today (after 5 weeks of topping it up) and it's again on minimum level (I have checked it in the same, flat parking spot and the engine was cold for couple of hours).
Do I understand correctly that when you loose engine oil it can only be lost via engine burning it or via oil leak please?
The thing is the that exhaust gases look fine to me (they are transparent, not blue - even straight after starting up the engine on colder mornings and also when you put your hand to the exhaust pipe for a second and then smell it, it does not smell as burnt oil but like steam which I think also indicates my Puma doesn't burn it).
If I get my local Ford dealer to test the exhaust gases will the test indicate burning of the engine oil and if yes which test variable will show it please?
I haven't seen any oil marks on the parking spot so I am also not sure if it could leak - but the oil cannot just vanish like that can it? I have put a carton underneath the engine for the night to see if there are any spots on it tomorrow morning...

I also haven't been experiencing VCT kicking in for a long time now... is there any easy method to check if VCT is operational in my Puma please (like hooking up the computer to the engine) ???

Thank you very much for all your help! I appreciate it a lot...

greetz

#2 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:13 AM

Losing a lot of oil from what I understand could point to the nikasil liners breaking down. You can get an endoscope down the spark plug hole to have a look if your concerned.

It also depends on how many miles you've done in that 5 weeks as they are known to burn quite a bit of oil especially if it's been hoofed around. When all said and done, you've only used half a litre in 5 weeks, it may sound a lot but I'm sure I've used somewhere around that myself since owning mine. Gonna check in the morning myself just to see how much it's used since I topped it up a month ago.

Someone else may come along later today who knows the 'normal' oil consumption that can be expected.

This post has been edited by yippeekiay: 17 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

#3 User is offline   HFStuart 

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

The main question is how many miles have you covered in the 5 weeks and what sort of driving - town MWay or what.

It's quite possible for oil to burn of gradually without you noticing especially as most of it occurs at high revs / high load rather than when idling.

An emissions hest would probably show oil burning as a high HC (hydrocarbons) figure but I'm not 100% certain.

The VCT on mine is so progressive I hardly notice it comming in at all - the engine note changes a little but there's no sudden kick like a Honda so perhaps you've just got used to it ?

Stuart

Stuart

#4 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

As yippeekiay and HFStuart say, it depends on how many miles you have done in 5 weeks?

Generally, the more miles the engine has done, the more oil it will use, due to wear. Mine has only done 16,000 and does not need topping up between services.

Quality of oil is important, as well as how many miles it has been in the engine. In addition to lubricating, oil is used to help transfer heat from the engine, so it takes quite a "pounding". Note how "watery" and "black" old oil is when drained.
Although there is a "Min" level, its good to have that extra between your mid-point and Max.

If the oil has been used for some time, I would first be inclined to change it for a good quality one and filter. Fill to the Max mark, checking it daily for a few days and then weekly, depending on how many miles you do.

Wiki, Checking Oil Level:
http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?...ticle&id=85

Mine is one of the last Puma's made and, like HFStuart, the VCT on mine is progressive rather than a "kick".
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

I test VCT by driving the car in 2nd gear, you will feel/hear the VCT working from around 2000/2500rpm upwards, mine is progresive too, so not noticable in normal use
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#6 User is offline   misslidia 

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hi guys

Thank you very much for your replies! I appreciate them and encourage even more users to reply please.
I have placed light coloured carton underneath the engine for this night and when I came this morning there was no, even smallest drop of oil on it... maybe it's leaking very slowly?

As per my driving style I like that Puma is so nippy so I tend to use high revs for fun but definitely not all the time.

Nikasil Liners? what is that then please? rolleyes.gif
I really drive a little. 5 times a week to work and back: that's 2x7 miles (where half distance is city and half dual carriageway)= 14 miles x 5 day = 70 miles per week for work. Apart from that I use it only to go to shops (ASDA like 2 miles away from my home) and occastionally somewhere else (very short distances again and in the city only) - I would say it adds up to max 20 miles per week.
So all together would be 90 miles per week/ 360 miles per month - so I did 450 miles in 5 weeks - that's not much is it?

yippeekiay yes please check your puma and let know if you experienced any consumption of it - especially when you also topped it up a month ago.

So does High HC in emission test indicate that the engine is burning it? please help by confirming or denying (if so which exhaust gas ingridient will be elevetad please)

I always service it at authorised ford dealer and last one was done in october 2008. The only oil used is original ford/motorcraft. Yeah I guess I got used to vct but it was concerning because I have experienced it at the begining of puma ownership and now it is just not there.

I would greatly appreciate your help guys.

Thanks and take care

#7 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Short or long runs at high rpm will use oil, dont worry about it, just put it down as another Puma trait and enjoy your Kat.

Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#8 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (misslidia @ Apr 17 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nikasil Liners? what is that then please? rolleyes.gif

Nikasil Lining:

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?...rticle&id=1
Rick

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

I would say you were lucky biggrin.gif
You should check your oil at lot more frequently then a 5 week interval.
The 1.7 ususally dies if it runs very low on oil.

For testing the liners, if that is your culprit. A compression test on the bores, say when having the spark plugs changed, may indicate a compromise. To tell for sure you would need to stick an endoscope done each bore to see.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#10 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (misslidia @ Apr 17 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So does High HC in emission test indicate that the engine is burning it? please help by confirming or denying (if so which exhaust gas ingridient will be elevetad please)

Did you get a Customer Copy of the MOT Exhaust Emission Test Results with your last MOT?

HC test on there shows a limit of 200ppm, mine was 7ppm.
Rick

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   butch 

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

i have the same problem but its costing loads to find out what it is but its bin on computers garages and also to auto electricians but still they say nothing wrong with it and they cant find the fault but going to put camara down tinto the pistons to see what it could be but it could be the seals i will still see does anyone know how much it would be?

#12 User is offline   misslidia 

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:11 AM

hi guys

went to ford's on the weekend... and they think they found oil leak from the oil pressure switch (apparently it does tend to happen over time and wear and tear).
i hope that's the case as the part is only like 11 pounds...
but the changing of the part might be a hassle as i have been told it's well hidden...

does anyone knows if it's hard/costly (labour rates-wise) to change and if I can do it myself or does it have to be done by a pro mechanic?

thanks a lot and thank you very much for all suggestions...

i hope that's the case... and not that it was burning oil or head gasket had a leak... much worse... i think

thank you very much

#13 User is offline   yippeekiay 

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:39 AM

Seems you've found your answer....

I checked my oil and it hadn't moved a bit which was nice as I was sure it was using more especially as I've been driving uneconomically lately. Might have been the better oil I topped it up with last time. (Magnatec)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic