• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Puma Owner Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FoRa 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hi All,

Pick up my first Puma on Friday night. This is probably going to come across bad, but to others don't let my bad luck put you off. It started first time on my test drive of it. And then first time every time I restarted it after that. However on Saturday morning I got up and jumped to go into town to do some shopping, only to find the battery was a flat as a pancake. A quick load and charging test with a new battery on it confirmed all was fine and it was just an old battery that was knackered from where the car had just sat on the seller's drive, so no biggy. Unfortunately for me, that wasn't to be the end of my woes though. On Sunday night I jumped in to nip out to go to the shops (I see a theme going on here - maybe it doesn't like the shops tongue.gif). Anyways I got to the end of our road, went to pull away and it just grinded 1st gear and jumped out of gear.

After a couple of times of putting it into 1st gear (so it's not the selectors) I realised that 1st gear had gone as it just jumped back out of the gear. A couple of calls to a couple of mechanic's told me I had simply just been very unlucky because although rare it does happen from time to time and there is no way the seller could have known it was about to happen. Fortunately for me, I have a father-in-law that is owns his own business and is a mechanic, so it's now down there having a replacement gearbox fitted.

In the short time I have had to drive it, I have to say I've been quite impressed with it and I can't wait to get it back. A least I know the cambelt has been changed in the last couple of years so that's a worry I don't have to think about immediately.

Look forward to exhanging posts with you all over the coming months.

Ian.
Ian
AKA

#2 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

welcome along
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#3 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:20 PM

welcome biggrin.gif
best to fit a 1.7 gearbox and not any ib5 as the ratios are what help make it so sweet I epect biggrin.gif jolly lucky to have family to help fix it smile.gif may as well drop a new clutch in there too if it is open (need new release bearing as well if fitting new clutch)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#4 User is offline   bobdunbar 

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (FoRa @ Jun 17 2008, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

Pick up my first Puma on Friday night. This is probably going to come across bad, but to others don't let my bad luck put you off. It started first time on my test drive of it. And then first time every time I restarted it after that. However on Saturday morning I got up and jumped to go into town to do some shopping, only to find the battery was a flat as a pancake. A quick load and charging test with a new battery on it confirmed all was fine and it was just an old battery that was knackered from where the car had just sat on the seller's drive, so no biggy. Unfortunately for me, that wasn't to be the end of my woes though. On Sunday night I jumped in to nip out to go to the shops (I see a theme going on here - maybe it doesn't like the shops tongue.gif ). Anyways I got to the end of our road, went to pull away and it just grinded 1st gear and jumped out of gear.

After a couple of times of putting it into 1st gear (so it's not the selectors) I realised that 1st gear had gone as it just jumped back out of the gear. A couple of calls to a couple of mechanic's told me I had simply just been very unlucky because although rare it does happen from time to time and there is no way the seller could have known it was about to happen. Fortunately for me, I have a father-in-law that is owns his own business and is a mechanic, so it's now down there having a replacement gearbox fitted.

In the short time I have had to drive it, I have to say I've been quite impressed with it and I can't wait to get it back. A least I know the cambelt has been changed in the last couple of years so that's a worry I don't have to think about immediately.

Look forward to exhanging posts with you all over the coming months.

Ian.

Hi and welcome
Bob

#5 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

Welcome to the site! Hope that is the end of your woes! biggrin.gif

#6 User is offline   FoRa 

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Guy Incognito @ Jun 17 2008, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the site! Hope that is the end of your woes! biggrin.gif

I hope so too, and thanks to all for the Welcome. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by FoRa: 17 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

Ian
AKA

#7 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hi - welcome to PP
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#8 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:46 PM

Hi and welcome - now you can enjoy the car now that the niggles are sorted! smile.gif
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#9 User is offline   cgandps 

• View gallery

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

welcome to the site

Claire

#10 User is offline   Rock Chick 

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

Hi Ian, welcome to the site.
- Val

#11 User is offline   FoRa 

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

Thanks again everyone else for the welcomes and advice. Since my last post, I've decided to take happy-kat's advice and have the clutch and release bearing done and get the cam-belt done as well whilst I'm at it. Might as well take the time out now and get it all sorted. I know it's a bit crappy to have do this with a new car, but I intend to have the car for the long haul, plus I do a lot of high mileage (except this week of course as I've spent most of it working from home tongue.gif).

Ian.
Ian
AKA

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

smile.gif your first post said the cam belt had already been done, so in theory it's good for another 5 years/80k miles from then (which ever occurs first) assuming that it was changed using the full kit smile.gif
should have added there is a cheap Ford clutch and a more pricey one if you are going for OEM, the cheap one is cheap and pants apparently...
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#13 User is offline   FoRa 

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 18 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile.gif your first post said the cam belt had already been done, so in theory it's good for another 5 years/80k miles from then (which ever occurs first) assuming that it was changed using the full kit smile.gif

Yup it has but I'm not sure what mileage it's done but I do know it was done around 3 years ago so might as well take the dive now. Not that I've got oodles of cash lying around, but with my sort of luck with cars I'd rather be on err on the side of caution.

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 18 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
should have added there is a cheap Ford clutch and a more pricey one if you are going for OEM, the cheap one is cheap and pants apparently...

Thanks for letting me know that. I'll be sure and pass on that comment to my Father-in-law.
Ian
AKA

#14 User is offline   FoRa 

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:15 PM

Sorry for the double post:-

More Bad News:- Whilst the Puma was up on the ramps the father-in-law noticed one of the wishbones was snapped. sad.gif So that's another little thing to add to the list of mechy bits being done.

The good news:- Gearbox has been sourced. Should have it back in the next couple of days. And I've become a site sponsor smile.gif
Ian
AKA

#15 User is offline   shyann 

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

cool.gif Hi Ian,
Welcome to pp.
Ann

#16 User is offline   FoRa 

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (shyann @ Jun 19 2008, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool.gif Hi Ian,
Welcome to pp.
Ann

Hey Ann,

Thanks for the welcome. Read some of your jokes earlier. Made me smile.

Ian.
Ian
AKA

#17 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:29 PM

wishbone bit of a bummer, but then new bushes are an idea to fit anyway on a leggy Puma, so you get a new bush in the arm smile.gif
must be fairly recent break as can't see it getting an MOT with a broken wishbone

#18 User is offline   FoRa 

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 19 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
must be fairly recent break as can't see it getting an MOT with a broken wishbone

Yeah that's what I figured. One less thing to worry about for a while I guess, ever onward tongue.gif
Ian
AKA

#19 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

welcome aboard
No Comment

#20 User is offline   FoRa 

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (pumanurse @ Jun 20 2008, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
welcome aboard