Pumapeople: Are These Legal? - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are These Legal? or do they even work?

#1 User is offline   xjay 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

Not to sure about this. Anyone tried one?

http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/product_info.php...02b4471f7bf0b49
Puma 1.7i Black - Norwich W*** XPU

#2 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

Haahaa, forget you even saw it...spend your £15 on something atleast a bit useful
PSN Gamertag ... 75 pixels too high to be posted :(

GtAce36 Gamertag

#3 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

Seconded, if somethings too good to be true it often is....

#4 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

£15? worth a try...

telling your cars computer (ECU) that your vehicle is s(---) in air at a different temperature.

looks like it adjusts the temperature readings going into the ecu - wonder how?

This post has been edited by PG12: 28 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#5 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

A resistor in a big box?

I had to laugh at this bit:

Modifications Comparison Table:

Full Exhaust System (+10bhp) - £400+
Engine Modification (+15bhp) - £1200+
Air Induction Kit (+7bhp) - £70+
ECU Remap (+10bhp) - £300+
ECU Chip Tuning (+20bhp) - £500+
SINSPEED Modification Device (+25bhp) - £44.95 £14.95!

#6 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Dec 28 2007, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A resistor in a big box?

id be interested in any increased mpg effects rather than bhp

This post has been edited by PG12: 28 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#7 User is offline   PumaVoodoo 

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

Not gonna happen, the engine will sort itself out the second it starts going closed loop
S*** LRX, usually belting between Dover and Maidstone by any means except the M20

Weitec GT Coilovers, Powerflex bushes, Milltek full FRP exhaust, 280mm front brakes
Low slung, taught, powerful and stops on a dime.

#8 User is offline   xjay 

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

Well they were raving about it in max power according to a friend.

He's a mechanic and explained that it 'piggybacks' the ECU into believing its taking in less air than it actually is, therefore it makes it take in more air... at least thats how he explained it to me smile.gif

Ill get it anyway with some christmas $$$ and ill let you know if i notice any difference

#9 User is offline   PumaVoodoo 

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:09 AM

Max Power know as much about cars as I know about playing the Bavarian nose flute. When people like Dave Walker start raving about things then it's worthy of some attention, but Max Power are far more interested in keeping the advertising revenue coming in.

There is some minor technical merit to the idea, but if it really was that simple then every manufacturer would be doing it as a matter of course.

What it does is "tell" the ECU that the air it's taking in is colder than it actually is, so it injects more fuel. Problem is that injecting more fuel just as often as not will lose you power, will most likely screw up your catalytic converter (about £300 to replace JFYI) if left long enough, and as I said before the second your ECU switches to closed loop mode, it'll notice that it's running rich and lean off the mixture to compensate.

Don't support yet another internet fraudster, please. If you really have to lose £15 then go stick it into a Cancer Research bucket or something.
S*** LRX, usually belting between Dover and Maidstone by any means except the M20

Weitec GT Coilovers, Powerflex bushes, Milltek full FRP exhaust, 280mm front brakes
Low slung, taught, powerful and stops on a dime.

#10 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:10 AM

or if you really dont believe what people are saying then please at least just buy the resister from an electronic store for 1p!!! Not £15!!
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

I bought one years ago, opened the box to have a look and found 2P worth of resistor ohmy.gif
I paid £7.50 for it.
I went ballistic with the seller and got my money back, I have boxes of resistors at home and work tongue.gif

I did try a resistor just to see what it did, I ended up with a car that had lost all the fantastic low down torque and become a bit of a screamer.
Horrible to drive, so that went in the bin biggrin.gif

The airbag modules are the same!
I have just reactivated my passenger airbag, removed the box and opened to have a look.
One small resistor ohmy.gif

If you could improve performance, economy with a small resistor.
Don't you think the car manufacturers would have ?
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Dan @ Dec 28 2007, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A resistor in a big box?
I had to laugh at this bit:

Wow, wire 10 in series and get 250bhp for 149 quid biggrin.gif

#13 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (PumaVoodoo @ Dec 29 2007, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Max Power know as much about cars as I know about playing the Bavarian nose flute.

I suspect you know everything there is to know about the Bavarian nose flute wink.gif
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

#14 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

Oooh, it's featured in Max Power. Must be good.
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#15 User is offline   xjay 

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

Now I never said that lol...

#16 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:04 PM

the amount of air a naturally aspirated engine aka yours, is set so it wont suck in anymore. And like voodoo said, the ecu will go into closed loop, losing you power.

dont, just dont..............
Posted Image
All stuff puma - puma technical & all things rebuilt...
See my website for Snow School Information

#17 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

(wow look at pg12 go..... hes been roped in..... laugh.gif )

there is another way to increase power thats just as 'good' - they make little fans that go on the exhaust tip; its a turbine & as the exhaust gases turn it it goes even faster & 'pushes' the gases out making your car go faster!!!!!!!

(no seriously they do sell it!!!! but im wondering why formula 1 teams dont use them too......!!!???!!!!???!!!)

all it will do is fool the ecu into throwing more fuel in ...'hooray' i hear you say..... no....... youl just naff your cat converter & fail your mot & spend £200 on a new cat.....or sell the car & the new owner will be chasing a bodge job for years trying to get there lovely car to work properly)

'+25bhp'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bolox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! +2bhp possibly with a knackered engine soon after.....

(i had a mate tell me his cone filter had a 'guarenteed' 120bhp increase!!! i fell over!!! he was soooo convinced as well!!!!!
he wasnt chuffed when it went slower cos he was an idiot & all it did was make a bit of noise!!)

#18 User is offline   xjay 

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

Well funny enough, i didnt buy it. Oh well at least this post can be used for buyer beware smile.gif

#19 User is offline   Supersonic 

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (PumaVoodoo @ Dec 29 2007, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What it does is "tell" the ECU that the air it's taking in is colder than it actually is, so it injects more fuel. Problem is that injecting more fuel just as often as not will lose you power, will most likely screw up your catalytic converter (about £300 to replace JFYI) if left long enough, and as I said before the second your ECU switches to closed loop mode, it'll notice that it's running rich and lean off the mixture to compensate.

Exactly.
Easy way to eventually kill your car. Injecting more fuel when you don't need it will also decrease your economy as well as eventually fouling the spark plugs. I think im going along the right track there.
When the ECU leans off the mixture it'll also start to run hotter (less fuel helping to cool it and the air isn't as cold as what the ECU thinks) which could result in the car overheating. (Worst case senario of course, but it will run hotter).
If you really want an ECU mod then piggyback ECU's aren't that much, or you could go the whole way and replace the whiole thing.

This post has been edited by RedMan: 31 December 2007 - 01:42 AM

#20 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (jacko @ Dec 29 2007, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(wow look at pg12 go..... hes been roped in..... laugh.gif )

there is another way to increase power thats just as 'good' - they make little fans that go on the exhaust tip; its a turbine & as the exhaust gases turn it it goes even faster & 'pushes' the gases out making your car go faster!!!!!!!

(no seriously they do sell it!!!! but im wondering why formula 1 teams dont use them too......!!!???!!!!???!!!)

all it will do is fool the ecu into throwing more fuel in ...'hooray' i hear you say..... no....... youl just naff your cat converter & fail your mot & spend £200 on a new cat.....or sell the car & the new owner will be chasing a bodge job for years trying to get there lovely car to work properly)

'+25bhp'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bolox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! +2bhp possibly with a knackered engine soon after.....

(i had a mate tell me his cone filter had a 'guarenteed' 120bhp increase!!! i fell over!!! he was soooo convinced as well!!!!!
he wasnt chuffed when it went slower cos he was an idiot & all it did was make a bit of noise!!)

Hi Jacko,

A mate of mine had this idea of using the large air scoop from an original Mini (aims air at the radiator I think), on his car to force air into the carb. Similar to the F1 cars.
You could fit a couple to your car, one either side ohmy.gif The faster you go, the more air you force in, making more power, so going faster, etc etc
Environmentally green turboing laugh.gif
The added bonus is the Mickey mouse look to the car rolleyes.gif

Cheap, free power and the COOL look laugh.gif

The only concern I had, was whether his car would produce enough power to over come the additional drag?
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic