Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help Needed With 1.7 Clutch - Does This Sound Right? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Spooky 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:37 PM

Hi everyone laugh.gif

I've recently had a problem with my Puma in that the revs would be shooting up really high after changing gear and then accelerating. Seems as though the gear isn't 'engaging' after changing. If I take my foot off the accelerator and then reapply slowly it then seems to then sort itself out. After seeing several posts on here I'm pretty sure it's the clutch that's probably knackered. I took it to Ford today (I know, I know, but Pumabuild is a bit awkward for me to get to!) and was initially quoted £275. One of the guys there took a test drive in it with me and the problem happened for him instantly. Now, this is where I'm a bit dubious. He straight away told me that it may not just be the clutch at fault but the flywheel may be knackered as well and if that's the case, it'll probably cost between an extra £65-£165 depending on what I need. He also mentioned something about 'skimming' may be needed - anyone know what he's referring to (I've only heard of skimming when fixing head gaskets)? Forgive my ignornace as I'm not mechanically minded, I know how to do general maintenance on my beloved Puma but that's the limit. Does this guy sound genuine or is he just trying to get extra cash for an unneeded job? Anyone else had problems with the flywheel when their clutch has been at fault?

I haven't had the job done yet as I thought I'd do some research first. Any help greatly appreciated.

#2 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

I had problems with my clutch ... exactly the same as you are having. Strangely enough it righted itself after I had the cam belt changed (why, no one knows) and it did another 8,000 miles or so without slipping once.

Anyway it started playing up again a couple of months back and I booked it into the workshop. After checking it out, the clutch was replaced.

The service manager told me the flywheel had looked rusted up and told the mechanic to try cleaning it. It came up fine, so I saved myself the cost of the new flywheel. I was told that because of this, although by this time the clutch was knackered, it had probably been 'hooking up' because of the state of the flywheel and that was why the problem I was having had been so intermittent. £320 later I had a nice new clutch and no further problems biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Midnight Blue: 08 January 2007 - 07:50 PM

Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#3 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

Hi welcome to the site. I always take my car to the local Ford garage, there's nothing wrong with that laugh.gif

Can't help with your problem, sorry.
No Comment

#4 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

the clutch spins and engages the flywheel..... skimming the flywheel is always a good thing to have done when changing the clutch, but is not very often done i think due to time, money, finding a guy with a big enough lathe etc etc....... sounds to me like the clutch is slipping like crazy...... if pennies are no object get the flywheel skimmed/renewed too...

think of the flywheel as a big brake disc... yep the new clutch will bed into it, but it will bed in a whole lot better with a reconditioned or new flywheel... save any judder problems on take off too....

smile.gif

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 08 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:30 PM

pay for a new clutch release bearring as well.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   specky1 

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

Skimming the flywheel would be an alternative to replacing it. The process would be to machine it flat and get rid of any grooves that had built up. Haven't had this problem with our Puma (yet!) so don't know if replacing the flywheel or it needing skimming when the clutch needs doing is a common problem on Kat's. Over the years I've had a number of cars that needed clutch changes-done some meself and garages have done others -never needed to give the flywheel any attention though. There's probably someone on here with more experience of clutch changes than I . Hope you get it sorted good.gif

#7 User is offline   nebbz 

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:44 PM

well my clutch has gone on the celica im not the most clever of people but look in to getting it soon! other wise your car wont move forward trust me...mine doesnt lmao
its a puma thing!

two cars down lmao! no one buy a 1991 shape 3 series! they crumble....sooo close yet so far from owning another puma! its doing my head in!!!!!

#8 User is offline   M100FRP 

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (nebbz @ Jan 8 2007, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well my clutch has gone on the celica im not the most clever of people but look in to getting it soon! other wise your car wont move forward trust me...mine doesnt lmao

What is it with women and clutches, the two just dont mix lol.

My mum has only done 18k in her s2000 and guess what, the clutch is slipping..... 1112202173.gif

M100 FRP (MY FRP)
Is there ever going to be a month when i dont spend money on my FRP....yes because ive sold it....damn!!!!!
Ex frp354 but now got a 106xsi 16v as a project and loving it.

#9 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#10 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (M100FRP @ Jan 8 2007, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

stickpoke.gif Excuse me ....... mine did 67,000 on one clutch tongue.gif
Posted Image

Pat

#11 User is offline   M100FRP 

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (Midnight Blue @ Jan 8 2007, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
stickpoke.gif Excuse me ....... mine did 67,000 on one clutch tongue.gif

Phew 18.gif at least i know there is at least one decent woman driver out there lol....welldone good.gif

M100 FRP (MY FRP)
Is there ever going to be a month when i dont spend money on my FRP....yes because ive sold it....damn!!!!!
Ex frp354 but now got a 106xsi 16v as a project and loving it.

#12 User is offline   shaun 

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

[quote name='M100FRP' date='Jan 8 2007, 09:47 PM' post='504671']

woman ride the clutch were as men take their foot off when finished changin gear!!

or so im told.

ma clutch is slipping like hell goin have a go at replacin it in couple weeks.

neva had any probs wi flywheel in previous cars.
buy toyota celica GT4. fix puma, again. then sell

130 bhp upgrade and handling that makes the puma feel useless on a corner
now thats money better spent.

#13 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (M100FRP @ Jan 8 2007, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phew 18.gif at least i know there is at least one decent woman driver out there lol....welldone good.gif

rolleyes.gif

roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif
Posted Image

Pat

#14 User is offline   nebbz 

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (M100FRP @ Jan 8 2007, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mum has only done 18k in her s2000 and guess what, the clutch is slipping..... 1112202173.gif

i know what my issue is, i got sold a dodgy motor!!! so many other things wrong and i hate the car cus it drew me to it and made me swap my puma for it!

also i have no repsect for the car so i drive it hard and drove it rely hard on the buggerd up clutch...guy who used to own it owns a supra now...which has recently been wrapped round a tree in town lmao BUMPED!

edit* also the guy who sold it to me is a short fat man called billy and ive got majour beef with him as he also worked on my other halfs polo to change the clutch and didnt do his wheel up properly and he found that out on the motoway and the wheel nearly came off! also the cars of the road and is in need of a new gear box mount, the engines wonkey and another gear box...verry dodgy garage!

This post has been edited by nebbz: 09 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

its a puma thing!

two cars down lmao! no one buy a 1991 shape 3 series! they crumble....sooo close yet so far from owning another puma! its doing my head in!!!!!

#15 User is offline   Spooky 

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

Many thanks to everyone for their help and advice. Now booked in to get it sorted biggrin.gif

#16 User is offline   michmikky 

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

Hi

Hi , i seem to have a problem with my clutch also i put my car into gear and lift my foot off the clutch pedal and sometimes it dont lift up it stays on the floor , sometimes it comes up slowly ? <sorry to post on ure thread but makes sense to post my problem here also as it could be clutch related > any ideas to what is going wrong would be great thanks guys .

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic