Pumapeople: Runnin Wires Thru The Car For Sound Sys - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Runnin Wires Thru The Car For Sound Sys NOT POWER LEAD THRU BULKHEAD Q!!!

#1 User is offline   scottay 

• Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

Okies been readin thru the forum and realise that the power lead fits thru that little gromit to the right, will this be sufficient to get a 4gauge cable thru ok?

i cant check it out on the car at the mo as its my g/f's car i'll b installing it on

once we've got the wire passed thru is it hard to remove the carpets on these cars to hide the wires?

i've never really done any work like this on a ford, its always been vauxhalls which are have nice plastic bits to unscrew and hide the wires down each side, (rca's power, remote etc) anyone got a few hints on where to start or wat to look out for when puttin the wires down the car?

i'll try an take some pics when i'm doin it if i can manage to get there, get em posted for anyone else who's curious...saves payin ice dealers a fortune for a few hours work biggrin.gif

any help much appreciated

Mark

#2 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

It was a few years ago that I installed a base box in the boot, but I seem to remember that it was a lot easier than I thought it would be to run the wires from the front of the car to the back.

If I remember rightly, you just pull the rubber door seal (the one that runs all the way around the door aperture) away from the sill area and then tuck the wires behind the carpet. Then refit the rubber seal.

(the beauty of mathematics)

#3 User is offline   scottay 

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:51 AM

that sounds about rite, jus wanted a bit of insight before i went pullin things apart biggrin.gif

thanks for reply mate biggrin.gif

#4 User is offline   scottay 

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:45 AM

anyone ever have problems wit leaks or anythin when they've removed and refitted the door seals etc? in order to fit the cablin?

i will b sealin the rubber grommit wit silicon or the like once the wires been passed thru

#5 User is offline   matty 

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

i wouldnt run it under the door seal if can avoid it, better to run it under the hard plastic trim beneath the door, that will avoid potential leak problems, and a more direct route. if your carefull, you dont even need to remove the trim, just push the power cable under (carefully) with a flat screwedriver.
Mk5 1.7 pumaspeed fiesta with gas

My car

tarmac terrorism

#6 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (matty @ Jan 15 2006, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i wouldnt run it under the door seal if can avoid it

Neither would I.

Assuming that you are working on the nearside of the car, what I would do is the following...
  1. Pull the rubber door seal away from the sill area. Don't remove the whole seal (i.e. all the way around the door), just pull away the section of the seal that covers the edge of the carpet by the door sill. The door seal joint is right in the middle of the sill, which makes it a bit easier.
  2. Now that the edge of the carpet is exposed, pull the carpet back slightly.
  3. You should see a Ford wiring loom that runs by the sill from the front of the car to the back. You can tie off your own cables to this loom to keep things nice and neat.

(the beauty of mathematics)

#7 User is offline   scottay 

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:12 AM

yeah that was the plan, jus to tuck it under the edge of the carpet, i'll b workin at both the pass and drivers side, pass side for power an remote cabling, and the drivers side for all signal cable to help eliminate interferance, wouldnt fully remove the seal biggrin.gif

dont' think i would be able to jus tuck the cablin away under the edge witout removin the seal an 4 gauge is quite thick and i also need to run cablin from the amp in the boot back up the car to the front speakers sad.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic