Pumapeople: Hollow Knocking From Rear Of The Car - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollow Knocking From Rear Of The Car

#1 User is offline   gutted 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Sounds like something knocking in the boot, perhaps. Although there's noting in there that should be causing it. The jack is secured, as is the spare wheel to my knowledge.

It doesn't happen all the time - it only happens when going over a bump or something. Anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing it? Do Pumas have a rear ARB - I'm guessing maybe worn bushes or something? If anyone knows what might be causing it, it'd be great to be able to give the dealership the impression that I'm not completely clueless (I'm always worried about being stitched up).
1.7 Moondust Silver.

My other car is an MG Metro Turbo. Keeping it real.

#2 User is offline   mattpendle 

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

Mine does that, too- I'm replacing all the bushes soon. Pretty sure that will cure it. Also gonna do the springs as well, though, just to be sure! How old is your Puma and have the bushes been replaced already? Bear in mind they're only made of rubber and will deteriorate over time.

#3 User is offline   gutted 

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:49 PM

It's one of the later ones (pre-Thunder though). It's on an 02 plate, and I've not had any work done to the rear of the car. I've had it from new and have had it serviced at the same Ford dealership pretty much all it's life... They've pointed out failing bushes in the front before now, but they've not picked up any problems with the rear. Perhaps they don't care so much, now that it's out of warranty and it's getting on a bit. sad.gif
1.7 Moondust Silver.

#4 User is offline   poggy 

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

Must admit i've noticed this on mine. Was planning to have the bushes done soon but was also worried it could be a rear shocker. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you manage to get it sorted.
Good Luck!

#5 User is offline   danellis 

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

Are you sure it's not the guy you kidnapped?

(sorry, not helpful, I know, but I couldn't resist)
===
DJ

Showing his age be damned, Pumasparky's sig is *mint*

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#6 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Had this on mine, beam bushes didn't fix it, but new top mounts (along with springs and dampers) did.

Good luck!
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#7 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:11 PM

Had Powerflex bushes fitted & when they bedded in completely (after a year) i got a knocking/banging which i thought was from the boot.
Test drive with Richard of Tremona in the car, found that the n/s front suspension mount needed tightening - he felt it knocking through his feet.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#8 User is offline   dancer 

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (FlashBastd @ Feb 2 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had this on mine, beam bushes didn't fix it, but new top mounts (along with springs and dampers) did.

Good luck!

The n/s/r top mount is the cause of the knocking on my puma, with the car jacked up, I

can physically move the shock up and down about 2". I'll get round to sorting it soon  rolleyes.gif

#9 User is offline   N1ck1984 

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

I've just noticed the same thing, was a bit peeved seeing my car came back from its M.O.T...havent checked my spare wheel is tight but i'll do that tomorrow smile.gif

#10 User is offline   gutted 

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:11 AM

MOT will only check against legal requirements for road worthiness. That being the case, the knocking noise on your car would - I guess - not affect road worthiness. Don't be too peeved about it - it just means you can get it fixed at your leisure, rather than be forced to pay for it before you car is legal to drive again...

My MOT is on Thursday - I guess I'll find out then whether the knocking noise on mine is serious or not ph34r.gif
1.7 Moondust Silver.

#11 User is offline   yarass 

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (gutted @ Feb 24 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MOT will only check against legal requirements for road worthiness. That being the case, the knocking noise on your car would - I guess - not affect road worthiness. Don't be too peeved about it - it just means you can get it fixed at your leisure, rather than be forced to pay for it before you car is legal to drive again...

My MOT is on Thursday - I guess I'll find out then whether the knocking noise on mine is serious or not ph34r.gif

If they were to find a knocking noise they would maybe "advise" that there was a worn suspension part on the rear.

Ive just replaced my top mounts on the rear & that has fixed the problem, i should have really done it when i fitted the full suspension kit rolleyes.gif

Nurburgring Lap 9mins 55secs......back again in September 09

#12 User is offline   N1ck1984 

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (gutted @ Feb 24 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shouldn't complain to much, the mechanic has been a wizard with my puma! The knocking isn't remotely as brutal as the downlinks going. Hope the M.O.T goes well good.gif

#13 User is offline   gutted 

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

I have a new MOT now, but it needed some work to get it through. Front brakes were excessively worn, and rear brakes weren't doing anything from the pedal (handbrake fine). My turn to be peeved: this is first time I've gone anywhere other than Ford; all work ever has been done by Ford until now (and 95% of that at the same garage). The MOT guy fixed the rear brakes for me, but he said they'd just been badly adjusted - rather than properly adjust them at each service, all Ford had done was tighten the handbrake. In addition, I took the car in for a service a few weeks back, and specifically asked them about serious brake judder - I asked them to check the front brakes for me. I was told the front brakes were spot on, so I was wondering maybe about worn suspension components or steering components or whatever. Turns out that Ford either didn't both to check the front brakes, or the person who checked them hadn't got a clue what day of the week it was, let alone what constitutes "good" or indeed "safe" brakes. Literally a month or so later, MOT failed due to excessively worn discs (MOT guy said it wasn't obvious from looking through the wheels, but was very obvious when looking at the inner faces, I guess on a ramp or something).

Now the brakes feel sharp as anything. The difference is pretty amazing. Front bakes and pads weren't all that cheap (£80 discs + £70 pads or something like that), but they only charged £30 for a rear brake service which I thought was ok. But at the end of it all, I now have a Puma which feels as good as new. I had allowed for £250 to get here through the MOT - it came in under budget, so I'm happy. I'll be doing the brakes myself from now on though...
1.7 Moondust Silver.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic