• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Our Boiler Has Been Condemned! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LisaDJ 

• Group: Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

We had a yearly check as part of our british gas homecare agreement and they have told us not to use our boiler! Our house is only 5 years old! mad.gif The year we moved in (2006) it packed in and needed 17 new parts, they said the builders must've got a job lot on the cheap and bunged them in this development.

The homecare checklist says - appliance not safe and operating correctly, not conforming to current safety standards, flueing not correct, no carbon monoxide alarm, failed emission/combustion test, burner settings not correct. Installation incorrect - cannot inspect flue! (why they didn't tell us this last time I don't know)

Then - appliance parts may not be available so recommendations are 1. appliance replacement and 2. carbon monoxide alarm

The advice notice says AT RISK - can't inspect route of flue, flue too long. Incorrect combustion performance figure, incorrect ventilation

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

My parents have said they will help us with the cost of a new one, as we won't be able to find that kind of money at the moment. British Gas are coming to give us a quote on Friday mellow.gif

#2 User is offline   pumarv6 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

Doesn't the British Gas scheme cover replacement? What make is yours Lisa?

While you should NEVER risk using a system noted as faulty, it does seem surprising they have condemned it all of a sudden.

#3 User is online   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

get another Corgi registered person to inspect your boiler (you have extra money from tenants)
your house has a 10 year builders gaurentee, use it smile.gif plus ask your neighbours all with the same boiler if also have found this out
in the meantime go to B&Q and buy the detectors, they are approx £20 each

root out of BG are conning you for a new boiler smile.gif

funny noy they saw flue wrong and not previously when they have been an inpected, regs change but this applies I thought to new installations, what ever it is, not old ones unless being replaced...

the above are all ideas, sorry should have been more passive smile.gif watching tennis (which is ace) has fired me up!!
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#4 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

Our lodgers moved out last week sad.gif It wasn't working out, Mark wanted the house to himself and they weren't doing ANY cleaning and generally didn't respect the house.

We will get a CO alarm and I will see about getting a second opinion but it does say something about a replacement for boilers under 7 years old but I'm not sure I've got it right. We do get a discount though

#5 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:00 PM

The 10 year NHBC guarantee won't cover a boiler replacement now. Installed appliances were only covered in the first 2 years, the remaining 8 years were for the house structure.

You shouldn't use it though until you at least get a second opinion. Better safe than dead.

#6 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'm not sure if we had a proper inspection last year, but they didn't say anything when it was repaired huh.gif

QUOTE (pumarv6 @ Jun 30 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 10 year NHBC guarantee won't cover a boiler replacement now. Installed appliances were only covered in the first 2 years, the remaining 8 years were for the house structure.

yeah I know this, I called them in 2006. tongue.gif

#7 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

I knew you knew that. Kate didn't though.

Shouldn't be too much to replace if it does need doing. Maybe about a grand?

#8 User is online   happy-kat 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:07 PM

yes but the flue should bve covered as in the basics of the installation (not the boiler) which was my thinking

at least it is summer and just get Mark to wear a jumper smile.gif
as Ed said better to be safe as you wont know it is poisoning you if it is
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#9 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

We haven't got hot water either though...

We looked online and said installation could cost £800+ but my parents have said they will help smile.gif

#10 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 30 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes but the flue should bve covered as in the basics of the installation (not the boiler) which was my thinking

Thats a very good point Kate. Might be worth asking the question Lisa.

No hot water, or dead. I think I'd go with no hot water.

With your lodgers in, hopefully you've been saving some dosh for things like this?

#11 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:28 PM

Nope sad.gif The boiler is off though, mum said we can use the shower at her house.

So do I need to contact NHBC about the flue?

This post has been edited by LisaDJ: 30 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

#12 User is offline   pumarv6 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

It's worth a try, as if the installation can be proven as faulty at time of construction, then you might have a case for someone paying part or all the costs to make it right. Nothing to lose eh?

This looks promising:

Flues and chimneys - These are covered if there is defect causing an imminent danger to the physical health and safety of anyone normally living in the home

#13 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

sorry to hear this Lisa - the last thing you could have done with!

my parents had a replacement boiler put in recently - cost them about £1250

one of their neighbours paid nearly £2k

some of the cost difference is down to different boilers being installed though laugh.gif

Someone stole my Thunder...

#14 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:57 PM

Cool, I will look into the nhbc thing tomorrow. We should've saved a bit but we put the repayments up on our debt management plan, we were paying my parents back and we did treat ourselves a little.

#15 User is online   happy-kat 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

it's boring, but rainy day saving helps when running a home smile.gif

good luck with the nhbc smile.gif

#16 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

Ours is nearly 30 years old and still going strong!

#17 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

well that is a lot of help!!!

Someone stole my Thunder...

#18 User is online   happy-kat 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

hopefully it implies that the replacement should last smile.gif

#19 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

Sorry...

#20 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 30 2008, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's boring, but rainy day saving helps when running a home smile.gif

good luck with the nhbc smile.gif

very hard to save for a rainy day when most of the money goes on paying back debts. Currently paying back £600 a month but that will be finished by May next year. The lodgers moved in and we wanted to enjoy ourselves a little, I hadn't bought any new clothes since my hen party last year. sleep.gif We also started paying my parents back for the wedding...

QUOTE (tom192 @ Jun 30 2008, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ours is nearly 30 years old and still going strong!

as I said earlier, the guy thought the builders got them on the cheap because he knew they were notoriously bad. dry.gif
Thank you for your helpful comment btw.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic