Pumapeople: split - plugs, bulbs, turbos........... - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

split - plugs, bulbs, turbos...........

#1 User is offline   Tenchu 2 

• Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:25 PM

Sorry guys but another newby here like bushy and although your all sceptical how many of you wouldn't try it out if it was proved to be true?!
On a slightly different note i see most everyone here has modified there puma in some way or another and as i have only had mine since Nov 2004 i wondered if any of you could give me some advice. I have already got a piper air filter etc and a fse boost valve whatmore can i add to the car without comprimising on reliability?
Many thanks all Tenchu :?

#2 User is offline   Tenchu 2 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:34 AM

Hi again sorry about this but as i have said i dont have much experiance with this tuning lark or computars but i get your point. I do have another problem though, since i bought my puma it's not been starting first time every time. I have had a air filter fitted/induction kit and a fse boost valve could this be anything to do with it? Should i be looking at new leads plugs etc
Cheers guys hope you can help Tench 2 :? :sorry:

#3 User is offline   deluded 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:39 AM

Try taking the boost valve out and see if that helps.

Other than that, I'd guess at coil pack or plugs / leads..

oh, and sounds stupid, but check the oil as well wink.gif

And I hope we haven't put you off modding - it is possible, it's just not very easy on the puma.
ex Silver 1.7 / ex FRP #416 / Astra SRi CDTI 150

#4 User is offline   Tenchu 2 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:49 AM

Cheers ill try all the above. As for putting me off, not a chance!! My car before this was citreon ax and if you can imagine the differance in driving. Any how i got the same feeling when i heard the new noise the puma made with the new air filter, just hope i dont and up bankrupt.
Agian many thanks biggrin.gif

#5 User is offline   Tenchu 2 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:03 AM

Am i out of order asking were your turbo conversion came from. I'm new to all of this and have been looking at van aaken. Cheers

#6 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:06 AM

Mine and Tobys came from a lovely company called Severn Valley Motorsport.

Cant recommend them highly enough if you want to spend over 10K and still end up with a crock of pooe.

#7 User is offline   Tenchu 2 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:13 AM

Cheers ill remember that. Sounds like you can end up a bit out of pocket with this tuning lark. Whilst i am on the subject of tuning i'm off to get some new leads, plugs, oil and a bulb for the motor. I dont suppose any of you have any ideas as to the best to get? Also i was wondering if i can just buy a better bulb, say xenon as the main beam on the puma like a candle flame. Will this work ? ja_stupid.gif :sorry:

#8 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:16 AM

Ok, so mines not a good example, but

Im on 5th engine, and out of 6.5 years of ownership from new, Tiggrs been off the road for 18 months due to technical issues with the conversion.

I could have bought a decent TVR with the money I've spent, AND it would have been more reliable.

The AA even refused to cover me last year!!!!

#9 User is offline   Spoke 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:19 AM

Mine and Tobys came from a lovely company called Severn Valley Motorsport.

Cant recommend them highly enough if you want to spend over 10K and still end up with a crock of pooe.

Your not the first person I've heard say that....... :cry:
Christophe-lamb-chop
'Racing is living, everything else before and after is just waiting' - Steve McQueen

#10 User is offline   Tenchu 2 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:24 AM

Jesus!! :shock: I'll avoid the whole turbo mod thing then. But any ideas as to my last question ja_stupid.gif

#11 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:41 AM

Jesus!!  :shock: I'll avoid the whole turbo mod thing then. But any ideas as to my last question ja_stupid.gif

It's not what you do it's the way that you do it.
Now that some folks have had more experience tuning the Puma lump many things have been learnt since the early days. When I started playing you were lucky to find an induction kit or panel filter!
There are a few Turbo'd Pumas running the 1700 engine that are sorted but it isn't a cheap engine to get more power out of, relatively speaking. It can be done!
From what I've seen Van Aaken are expensive for what the end result is but the engine does look pretty and you DO end up with a turbo in it.

Your poor starting problem could be overfuelling (smell of petrol under bonnet after failing to start), underfuelling (possible blocked fuel filter), leaky core plug (your plugs/leads may be under water! Check by removing 6 allen bolts off engine plastic cover and peering underneath), damp on ignition components (WD40 sprayed over may help- ultimately new leads required)...ignition fault, even a possible weak battery or loose battery/earth lead...as you can see it can be any number of things!

#12 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:41 AM

the VA turbo conversion is quite sweet, although its only a low pressure system, may be worth investigating, although if its raw power you want, go to Wizards of Nos ;-)

#13 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:48 AM

Jesus!!  :shock: I'll avoid the whole turbo mod thing then. But any ideas as to my last question ja_stupid.gif

It's not what you do it's the way that you do it.
Now that some folks have had more experience tuning the Puma lump many things have been learnt since the early days. When I started playing you were lucky to find an induction kit or panel filter!
There are a few Turbo'd Pumas running the 1700 engine that are sorted but it isn't a cheap engine to get more power out of, relatively speaking. It can be done!!

Totally agree :-)

If you want to go the turbo route and have money to spend, I'd have a chat with Alan at Pumabuild, he has a rather special FRP that you may like to see ;-)

#14 User is offline   Tenchu 2 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:48 AM

Thanks again biggrin.gif . I'll have a look at all the above but have you got any ideas in regards to the light bulb issue.(Also i was wondering if i can just buy a better bulb, say xenon as the main beam on the puma like a candle flame. Will this work ?) ja_stupid.gif

#15 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:50 AM

I had solaris bulbs, which did make a difference, but cost 140 quid for 4!!!

The only problem with them (apart from killing them when I smashed the car up) was that the higher heat output caused the bulbs to deteriorate faster with time.

Best way to improve the lighting of a standard Puma is to lower the rear of the car.

Don't believe me? Take a ride in an FRP. Cos the back of the car is lower, the light thrown from the headlamps is far better.

#16 User is offline   Tenchu 2 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:54 AM

I had solaris bulbs, which did make a difference, but cost 140 quid for 4!!!

The only problem with them (apart from killing them when I smashed the car up) was that the higher heat output caused the bulbs to deteriorate faster with time.

Best way to improve the lighting of a standard Puma is to lower the rear of the car.

Don't believe me? Take a ride in an FRP. Cos the back of the car is lower, the light thrown from the headlamps is far better.
Interesting but since i dont have a 140 notes just for lights or a fat bird to sit in the back whilst i drive at night i guess ill have to make do with the bogo stuff.

#17 User is offline   deluded 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:04 AM

Would be worth getting a pair of 30% brighter lamps.

I put a set in recenty, and they made quite a differnce. I'd avoid the blue coated ones though since they don't seem to be as good for seeing roads (although look nicer).

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ are quite cheap, although a fat bird in the back may be cheaper..

#18 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:06 AM

Thanks again biggrin.gif . I'll have a look at all the above but have you got any ideas in regards to the light bulb issue.(Also i was wondering if i can just buy a better bulb, say xenon as the main beam on the puma like a candle flame. Will this work ?) ja_stupid.gif

My advice is don't waste money on 'HID-look' bulbs off eBay- they just look cool but give worse actual 'light on the road' output than standard bulbs, run much hotter and don't last long.

Best bulbs I used were PIAA (way too expensive), good compromise are Philips Premium (30-50% extra light) or Osram Cool Blue. Even installing brand new standard bulbs help- bulbs naturally darken with oxidation over time even if they work perfectly. Alignement is crucial- the brightest lights in the World are useless if not pointing in the right direction.

Ultimately the light output is down to the headlight design which is on the Puma is pretty to look at but unfortunately pretty poor in terms of performance...as I once described, the Puma is a 120mph car but with 50mph headlights.

#19 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:06 AM

Nice site, need some stronger bulbs for the tank, its embarrasing relying on the car behind you to light the road up ;-)

#20 User is offline   deluded 

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:18 AM

Best bulbs I used were PIAA (way too expensive), good compromise are Philips Premium (30-50% extra light) or Osram Cool Blue.  Even installing brand new standard bulbs help- bulbs naturally darken with oxidation over time even if they work perfectly.  Alignement is crucial- the brightest lights in the World are useless if not pointing in the right direction.

I actually found my frp had PIAA bulbs in it, but the philips ones were much brighter - so I guess the PIAA ones were at the end of their life.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic