Pumapeople: 1.6 Steve Head Gasket - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1.6 Steve Head Gasket

#1 User is offline   Pum4tw 

• Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

Hi guys, bought a 51 plate puma 1600 z-tec in December. 92k on the clock, full service history. The car had a cam belt change about 5,000 miles ago. Seemed like a sweet deal, paid 850 for it, so was half expecting that it would need some kind of work done. Anyway, after about a week I noticed that the car was losing water.....quite a lot of water.... At first I thought it might be the water pump, but it's not overheating. Then I thought it might have been the thermostat housing as I know this is quite a common problem. But got it up in the air and the front of the engine is bone dry all the way up, the only wet patch to be seen is a mixture of oil and coolant which is collecting on the sump, but I can't see a point of origin..... Anyway, since then the car has started losing power when the engine is cold... Which leads me to think it might be the head gasket.... Ouch.... However there is no "gunk" in the filler cap or on the dipstick so it doesn't appear to be leaking into the oil, which says to me it may be leaking into the cylinders..... Have had a squeeze of the hoses when the engine is running and they're not rock solid so I'm praying that the head isn't cracked..... Just hoping for a second opinion? Do you guys reckon it's likely to be the head gasket???? And if so, how much am I looking at to have it replaced? I'm on a bit of a tight budget ATM due to the fact I'm going on holiday in May, but need it fixed ASAP as I don't want to run the risk of blowing the engine :/

#2 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

Take it to a garage and ask if they can test it. There is kit out there that is attached to the expansion tank and can pressurise the water system to see if there is a leak, also kit to detect gases in the coolant.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#3 User is offline   Pum4tw 

• Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

Im 98% certain the it is the head gasket! just wanting second opinion and a rough idea how much it's going to cost. Thanks though :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic