Pumapeople: Cam Belt Kit Huh? - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cam Belt Kit Huh? cam belt kit huh??????

#1 User is offline   clairestracey 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

i am going to get my cam belt changed before i go away on holiday by my machanic he wants 100 to do it then the belt is 13 quid and the tensioner is 23 quid so a steel really what im confused about is this. ive read numerous times on here to get a kit with fittings when you change the cam belt i asked my local fords about this and they said the belt dont come with fittings its not necessary to change these so how comes people on here mention it.

leave the bloody thing alone will ya its looks best standard thats the way it should be kept

#2 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

The Ford kit is about/just over £100 as far as I am aware and includes tensioner and cambelt. It may have other things in it - happykat will reply soon to confirm this I am sure biggrin.gif

Considering the cost of replacing an engine it is worth doing this properly (i.e. using Ford parts) - just in my opinion though!!! biggrin.gif
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

#3 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

the trade price of the cam belt kit is around £40-60 depending on offers and discounts at the time with dealor....

anyone supplying a £13 belt i'd keep a VERY wide berth.... replacing the belt without the tensioning system is half a job really and not ideal at all....

I'd go elsewhere

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

the kit contains tensioner, belt, stretch bolt and one other bolt thingy.
your local Ford is pants wink.gif tell them to do their homework! (nicely)
the kit is important to use as it changes all the vital parts that could fail if not changed. third party kits have been used by some but it appears a bit hit and miss as to whether they fit
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   clairestracey 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

the belt is a emo belt from fords i dont kno how much it would be if you brought it but its 13 quid to me because i use my g,f dads priviledge discount lol

lol kat they said they sell the belt and tensioner seperatly would these bolts be in the tensioner box then or something or is this kit a differnt finnis code

i mean i dont kno lmao i would of thought they would kno but they say their is no suck thing as a kit just a tensioner and a belt that are sold seperatly
leave the bloody thing alone will ya its looks best standard thats the way it should be kept

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

pants!
later I will dig out the kit finnis code for you, I do have it.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#7 User is offline   clairestracey 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

lmao i didnt want pants in the kit but if their free lmao,

thank you kat muchly appriciated as im going away soon the car hasnt even reached 10 years or 100,000 miles yet but better be safe than sorry especially when its pretty cheap to get done just wish me ford spares place knew a bit more lol

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

Cam Belt Kit (includes pre-tensioner and stretch bolt)
Finis Part No: 1203767

BUT that is the part for the 1.7 engine. I do not know if it is the same kit used on the 1.4 engine.

#9 User is offline   moel 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 13 2008, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cam Belt Kit (includes pre-tensioner and stretch bolt)
Finis Part No: 1203767

BUT that is the part for the 1.7 engine. I do not know if it is the same kit used on the 1.4 engine.

To the best of my knowledge it isn't...the 1.4 kit is considerably cheaper for some odd reason!

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

the kit is cheaper now, well sub 100 for the 1.7 kit too, originally it was much more expensive.

#11 User is offline   moel 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:03 PM

I was going to sort out the timing on my dads which is why i asked a couple of people..because i could find the 1.4 kits online but not the 1.7, reply was that they are different..so just packed my dad off to a garage that charged him 170 quid for the job i think..

#12 User is offline   Crystalpuma 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (clairestracey @ Feb 13 2008, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lmao i didnt want pants in the kit but if their free lmao,

roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif

QUOTE (moel @ Feb 13 2008, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was going to sort out the timing on my dads which is why i asked a couple of people..because i could find the 1.4 kits online but not the 1.7, reply was that they are different..so just packed my dad off to a garage that charged him 170 quid for the job i think..

That's a good deal - mine was £250 incl. rocker cover and that was a discount jobbie at Pumabuild!
"Margaret was right...piracy is our only option"
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Nancy & Vix

#13 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

I would think that the 1.4 kit would still have a new stretch bolt and tensioner etc. in it too though ja_stupid.gif

#14 User is offline   anjie 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

had mine done at Pumabuild,and yes the 1.4 still comes with streach bolt ect biggrin.gif

#15 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:26 PM

You need the Ford kit as advised above because it comes with the all important stretch bolt and tensioner, most engine failures are caused by the tensioner failing and not the cambelt breaking.
While your'e at it fit a new auxillary belt as well, it has to be removed to remove/fit the cambelt, so you should not have to pay a labour charge.
Also a new rocker cover gasket is advisable to be fitted as well, to prevent later oil leaks.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#16 User is offline   clairestracey 

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (pumapilot @ Feb 13 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need the Ford kit as advised above because it comes with the all important stretch bolt and tensioner, most engine failures are caused by the tensioner failing and not the cambelt breaking.
While your'e at it fit a new auxillary belt as well, it has to be removed to remove/fit the cambelt, so you should not have to pay a labour charge.
Also a new rocker cover gasket is advisable to be fitted as well, to prevent later oil leaks.

lol i had the aux belt changed today thanks for the advice though

#17 User is offline   Trixie 

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:41 AM

I need to get my belt done soon. Is it worth getting the water pump changed at the same time? I've heard conflicting reports on this.

#18 User is offline   clairestracey 

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

lmao after heariong all of this lol i gave my local ford parts a bell armed with that finis code kat gave me earlier in the posts. and they said they do one for the 1.7 but the 1.4 bits are sold deperatly dont think i can moan as their are only 3 bolts to change so it mreaks down like this on my gf;s dad discount:

tensioner 23 quid
belt 13 quid
stretch bolt 3 quid
2 bolts that hold the tensioner on 70 p each

buying seperatly it is then lol

many thanks for all your help

#19 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

cheers smile.gif

we had worked out the finnis was for the 1.7

any chance of the finnis codes for the 1.4 items please? can then add them to the Wiki

#20 User is offline   clairestracey 

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 14 2008, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cheers smile.gif

we had worked out the finnis was for the 1.7

any chance of the finnis codes for the 1.4 items please? can then add them to the Wiki

they dont to a kit for the 1.4 kat what il do though is when i buy all the bits and bolts il take the finis codes down then and post them on here and il make you aware of what they are i wont be getting them untill 6 six away got to reinsurance my car first.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic