Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Member Looking For Advice Advice on upgrades Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   imbetterwithfaces 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

Hi all!

I am a new member here and I am already asking for something! Typical!

So I bought my 2000 Puma 1.7 in March for £375. Got it from a lovely chap who bought it as a cheap but fun runaround for 6 months while he was in the country, previous owner was the original owner. I saw it and, having always wanted one since I was a kid, couldn't refuse it at that price! So bought it as a cheap and fun runaround after my old car died, but have since fallen a bit in love. I am slowly but surely fixing it up to how it should be, but I want to eventually make it into a track day car.

Since buying it I have:

Cleaned out the carbs
Replaced the indicator stalks
Fixed the Parcel Shelf
Unblocked the Rear Washer Jet
Cleaned out the Throttle Body (accelerator was sticking)
Got Rear Arches Treated for Rust
New ABS Sensor
New Front Top Mounts
New Lower Arm Bushes

Now I am moving onto the bigger stuff!

On my to do list:

DIY Airbox Upgrade Mod to FRP (with Cold Air Feed) - This weekend :)
Replace the Stereo
Replace the Clutch (uprated)
Fix wiring on Rear Windscreen Demister (Or replace whole thing)
Replace Manifold and Exhaust System (with Cat)
Replace Headlights and Lenses
Spark Plugs?
Remap ECU
Buy and Fit 16" Alloys
New Steering Wheel
Much more besides.....

So I am looking for advice!

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice for :

Stereo: (Bluetooth/Aux 3.5mmm Jack enabled)

Clutch!! This is a big one as mine is on its way out. I have looked at getting the normal one, but thought I may as well upgrade now to save paying twice in the future! I have read good things about the Helix system, is there anything I should be wary of? Is there a point in going for the 4 Paddle or is the HD Organic one sufficient? Does anyone know a place 'down south' (West of London) that will fit bought parts or I can trust to fit it?

Rear Windscreen Dempster: Am I right in thinking that there is a type of glue you can get to put on the contacts to sort them out?

Manifold and Exhaust System: Is it best to go with custom or maybe something like Miltek? I want to still have my Cat in it to pass the MOT :)

Headlights and Lenses: Selfishly I would like to be able to see where I am driving, even in the dark. What bulbs can people recommend? Also the lenses are misting and pretty hazy, even after a bit of toothpaste and elbow grease. Where can I get some new clear lenses? Or are there other designs to choose from? Does anyone know of a custom place or a modding place that would do that?

New Wheels and Tyres: I would quite like to put some 16" rims on her and some nice tyres to go with them. Any suggestions on places to buy?

Spark Plugs: I have seen a couple of people have changed out their spark plugs for Denso Iridium Plugs. Is there a real benefit to doing this?

Remap ECU: Would like to get the FRP Map on the engine if I could (unless seasoned pros have other suggestions?). Does anyone know where I can get this done and how much it is likely to cost?

Steering Wheel: Now I'm just being picky. I have the original Steering Wheel, which has somewhat melted... Is it worth buying a new one? Are there ones that don't melt? Should I just upgrade it with a Track Steering wheel?

So sorry that this is so long! Thank you for reading if you made it this far, and thank you in advance for your help!

I am sure I will come on here again to pester you :)

Cheers

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:27 PM

Welcome
Clutch, Ford clutch is fine and does the job, if you drive in traffic you probably don't want a helix.
Check your drain pipes are connected to your headlights and also check for no splits in the rubbery type surround on the headlight edge. Toothpaste is not enough to clean them properly, you might want to try proper polishibg with a cutting compound.
Just got platinum tipped Ford plugs in mine.
16 inch rubber can be pricey as a less popular tyre size in general you might want to check prices before committing. Upping the wheel size is not a given certainty that there will not be tyre rubbing, something to watch out for.
Exhaust, a modular system might be easier and a given for what the sound would be lile. Piper and Miltek are both systems available for the Puma.
No point having a different map unless your engine can use the map you've added and the FRP map only goes on one ECU edition. Take a read in the Wiki.
You could get the steering wheel trimmed with a nice fabric like the FRP wheel had been, pricey but keeps your air bag which you would lose with a track wheel.
In general it feels a little scattered, I'd focus on what is it you want to do with your Puma, track days, auto solo or general A to B use and then makes any changes work for the intended use.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   imbetterwithfaces 

• Group: Members

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

Thanks Kat!

Sorry for taking a while to reply. I am going to be more focused on what I want from the car before moving forward. The Wiki has been started and is my 'light reading' for the foreseeable future.

Headlights are fine now, dried them out and made sure the drain pipes were connected. They're still a bit hazy, but will get to work with the cutting compound polish shortly. If there problem persists, I will probably just get new lenses entirely. I will follow your advice for the Exhaust system and look into Miltek as I have been recommended them before as well. Also will look at the clutches more in-depth, the car is not used as for the daily commute anymore (hence the tuning interest), so I am not likely to be stuck in traffic. Mapping I will look at the wiki, but will put this on the back burner. Steering wheel I will keep as it is, until such a time comes that I replace it with a track steering wheel. And connected to the steering wheel, I will keep the tyres at 15" for now, but may think of changing them when I get around to stripping it out and completely ceasing to use it as a road car.

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

I personally prefer the noise from the piper when talking about frp replacement systems. Do make sure the manifold can take the heat shield.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic