Pumapeople: New Engine - Service Intervals? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Engine - Service Intervals? worth it or not?

#1 User is offline   akurei 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:20 PM

Just bought a 98 R reg puma with a newly re-built engine. I'm currently working my way to the first 500 mile 'bedding in' service, at which point i have to pay Å“75 + Parts + Vat for the privelege.

but to keep within the terms of the 5 year/60,000 mile guarantee i have to then take the car in every 6 months or 6000 miles (whichever sooner) for servicing at the 'priveleged' cost of Å“90 per time + Parts and VAT.

I am obviously going for the first 500 mile service, just to check everythings ok with the engine, but dubious about the benefits of the 6monthly service.

I would love to keep it up, as the guarantee should be a good selling point etc, but i'm not made of money and i'd be looking at spending at least Å“900+ over the 5 years of the guarantee just on 6 monthly services.

any ideas as to wether this is just a money making policy from the garage? and is it actually worth it. or should i just do my regular yearly service and let the warranty expire?

(its killing me driving at under 50mph and 2500rpm for the first 500 miles - but hope its worth it while engine settles in) tongue.gif

any advice is appreciated as i've come from a rover owning background and am well used to engine troubles and LARGE service costs. Hoping the puma was going to be more economical to run long term.
IPB Image

#2 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:25 PM

If you want good polite and friendly service, and get your logbook/service record stamped too, for a labour charge half of what Ford will charge you, then click the link under my Signature block.
My Kat goes there now. 10.gif
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#3 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (akurei @ Mar 28 2006, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would love to keep it up, as the guarantee should be a good selling point etc, but i'm not made of money and i'd be looking at spending at least Å“900+ over the 5 years of the guarantee just on 6 monthly services.

On an eight year old car, FSH is to be honest virtually worthless...

Save your pennies and have the servicing done by someone you trust and get the book stamped by them

#4 User is offline   akurei 

• View gallery

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:51 PM

cheers guys, was kinda thinking the same thing - still going for the 500 mile checkup, but from then on i'll look at something a litle more local i think.

how strong are these engines as i've heard a few stories about the nikasil (i think) lining wearing away or causing problems?
IPB Image

#5 Guest_XIIVVX_*

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (akurei @ Mar 28 2006, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how strong are these engines as i've heard a few stories about the nikasil (i think) lining wearing away or causing problems?

Naw. That was a high-sulphur fuel problem a good few years back. No longer an issue the fuel isn't sold any more.

Best not to chuck any fuel additives into the tank though.

XIIVVX

#6 User is offline   akurei 

• View gallery

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

aaahhh i see......good to know! thanx good.gif

don't suppose anyone knows if this first 500 miles run it gently stuff is a load of old guff or gospel? really want to give it a boot to see how she goes but don't want to knacker the engine or do any damage!
IPB Image

#7 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (akurei @ Mar 28 2006, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aaahhh i see......good to know! thanx good.gif

don't suppose anyone knows if this first 500 miles run it gently stuff is a load of old guff or gospel? really want to give it a boot to see how she goes but don't want to knacker the engine or do any damage!

On a factory built engine you dont really have to anymore, but on a garage built one, I would, as although greater care may have been taken, there is also more likey to be a few things not quite within tolerance

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic