• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Millenium Cleanup/rebuild Didn't start as a project.... Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

and each time you fix something the drive just gets better and better :)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#42 User is offline   StevenRaith 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

It'd help if I wasn't fixing so many things - although a large chunk stem from the crappy work by the MOT station. I'll put a shiny tuppence on the broken clutch position switch and it's effect on the engine being what killed the engine mount - I might as well do the others when I get time/funds on the way, eh?

Still haven't sorted out the rear boot release solenoid, arf!

Also need to diagnose the on-going rattle from the engine - suspect an idler/pulley/belt part somewhere, will hopefully get a chance to sniff around it at the weekend.

#43 User is offline   madmillie 

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

Just wanted to say I'm so impressed with the way you've brought on your Millie. I wish I had half your mechanical knowhow, but (fingers, legs and eyes crossed!) I have had mine for about 3 weeks with no issues so far. Early days I know, but I'm ever the optimist. AND you have put me to shame with the major shine you've got on yours. Proper jealous. Methinks a hard-on-the-elbow weekend is on the cards. Also thinking of getting those bulbs for the headlights as the bog standard ones in mine wouldn't startle a rabbit. Well done mate.

#44 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

SCrew elbow grease, get a £30 mains powered dual action polisher and some Super Resin Polish (Autoglym methinks) - once you've cleaned the car properly (and I mean properly!) it'll make washing it a jetwash-only affair for three months!

My cars a shed at the moment, really need to wash, clay, polish and wax it again for winter.

Oh, and tip of the day for all you MIllie owners - clean your glass with your glass cleaner of choice, then use IPA (isopropyl alchohol) on it to remove the underlying traffic film. The contrast between the dark interior, shiny glass and yellow paint is staggering.

The car is, as noted, a grimy shed this week - but a lass at work asked if I had cleaned yesterday. The day after I IPA'd the glass all round...contrast is king!

Anyway, update on the rumbles and rattles - mate had a sniff around it, and reckons none of the noises are obvious enough to either locate accurately, or diganose - 'run it till something breaks, or sounds like it's going to' was his advice, to save us chasing ghosts.

Yes sir! :D

#45 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

Just checking my car still works:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MhLRrp2kdWQ

Suffice to say it's no garage queen...

#46 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:13 AM

No real updates of late, although I am thinking of buying an old engine, an engine stand, rebuilding it over winter in my back yard (just big enough for the bins and an engine!) and dropping it in next spring....no real reason, I just fancy learning engines.

Anyway, here is the car:
http://www.flickr.co...ker/7865685220/

And here is me demonstrating an electric cigarette, should you be interested:
http://www.flickr.co...ker/7865682476/

And god knows why you would be.And yes, I know it looks like I've just seen two deer trying to build an ICBM, that's just coincidence.

#47 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

OIl change done on the drive of, and with the assistance of, my Good Chum Paul, seeing as he has access to a large, flat, covered drive. And has pretty much finished building his Suzuki SJ410 pretty much by himself from the ground up!

Here he is providing me with an oil filter:
Posted Image

Last time an oil change was done my mate Ben did most of it for me and I just passed him spanners, etc. Quite pleased to have done this myself, with Paul mostly doing the passing, laughing at me pouring oil over myself, etc.

Magnatec @ cheapy prices at Halfords, plus halfords oil and air filter, that's another basic service done. Hurrah!

#48 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Well, after not much changing and using the car for work a bit, tonight a (very apologetic and nice) chap managed to get his Volvo estate to scrape a chunk off my cars schneb.

Posted Image

Got his works details to sort out the insurance - it's big national company so shouldn't have any problems, especially as it should be a smallish claim - new wing, respray 't bumper - I can't see it being more than £400 using new parts, seeing as the bumper doesn't look like it needs any work. Colour matching might be a pig though given the fading Millies tend to suffer from if not looked after, which my one hasn't in the past!

Will look into it on Monday. No problems.

#49 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

That is a bummer :( and hopefully as you say it will be an easy and quick fix :)
A large dose of elbow grease and a mild cut polish should I would have thought seen your milly cleaming and deep with colour again. :) Might be worth doing a test patch near that area so that you can a better idea of paint match. Though I would expect the body shop would give it a polish first to get that colour up to match against.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#50 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Being a local town, I expect I'd find out who they select to do the job, and have a word with them about sorting a few other bits and bats too, at my own expense, of course...

"Oh know, there's a crease in the bonnet" *clang of hammer* "better hammer than out and respray it, will sort those stonechips out too" etc :lol:

#51 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Oh, update - still haven't got this sorted because work are making me...er...work. Gits.

Quote from local 'defacto' bodyshop was £670. Which I thought was hilarious. Waiting to hear back from another place, will likely try to get it actually sorted after new year at this rate.

Other than that, I think I need a new thermostat - the car only gets to the middle of the temperature guage when it is thrashed mercilessly. Thankfully, this is no chore in the Puma ;) but I do need to pull my finger out, get the beasty on stands and drop the coolant methinks.

Also want to clean out the MAF (possibly dremel it out a bit) and look into fitting a muppet induction cone for the snorty lulz.

Then I need to concentrate on getting the car mechanically sound for the MOT, then I need to start saving up for my own place to rent, ideally with access to a garage so I can do these things somewhere that isn't the roadside...

#52 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Wish I had some yellow bits to send you, care of that guy, paint would be the same age and match and the insurance industry wouldn't give another body shop lad minimum wage while paying people in offices loads to sit in chairs.

Make sure they're 100% committed to a repair as well, I've seen them written off for less.

#53 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Valued at £2k as a limited edition of a high demand, lowish volume car, it's a future classic don't you know, etc!

I think that guy is touring with his band a bit (mutual friends, natch) so he hasn't got back to me - will prod some people in the band to see what he's up to.

#54 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

Well if he offers you £200 to do it outside of the insurance tell him yes and we'll go halves Posted Image

#55 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

I need to get 'a few other things' done too, so likely to be spending the estimate and maybe some more anyway :lol:

Anyway, TC/ABS lights lit up today, neither are working (I tested it thoroughly on some backroads) - possibly hit some standing water and killed a sensor.

Will be testing the sensors etc at some point this weekend so might well drop you a line my good man....

#56 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

Do bear in mind I always smash them to bits when I try and get them out, you may receive entire hubs instead Posted Image

#57 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Ha, got any cars going spare for parts?

And a yard where I can smash them to bits? :D

#58 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Yes and yes

#59 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

OOoh, don't tempt me.

ABS/TC problem is moderately intermittent - will work from one cold start, but not the next. Bloody annoying.

#60 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

So, after working faaar too much, I have finally got both quotes to the insurance, and they have authorised my new Tuna* to sort out the bump. it's nearly MOT time so I think it's time to give the wee beasty a once over, and see what else can be done.

I'd very much like to get it 'up to spec' for me (FRP bushes up front, cat back zorst, aircon fixed, exhaust realigned or replaced with a sublte catback system....) but bodywork and MOT first.

Quite pleased with that.

*tuna = tuner = mechanic. Evo Magazine forum injoke of unknown origin.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic