Pumapeople: 28th June : Life After Midnight Sun - Pp Finland Members Meet - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

28th June : Life After Midnight Sun - Pp Finland Members Meet Tampere/Kangasala area - Finland

#1 User is offline   ssulti 

• Group: Members

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

Members meeting in Finland. Book 28th of the June (sunday, less traffic) for this meeting. Starting time 10:00, be there 10-15 minutes early.

Idea is to meet on Tampere area and drive a loop around Pirkanmaa and go to a visit to Vehoniemi Car Museum. There is no entry fee on Vehoniemi car museum. I'm trying to arrange guided tour for us - which should be free of charge also as the pages claim.

Let's see how many of the existing 500 Pumas we got on the road.

1st option for route (Long... very long):
Route starts from Hakametsä icehockey arena parkinglot, goes round around Tampere city (via highways), takes a enjoyment drive via Siuro/Sasi area and coming back thru Nokia city till the stop point at Keisarinviitta (Pirkkala) is ABC-service station with cafeteria. At this point route is very near to Tampere Pirkkala airport. And from there route goes with highway 3 until we turn towards Kangasala, dropping back to highway (12), passing Kangasala via highway and drive until route ends to Vehoniemi car museum.

2nd option for route (Short):
Route starts from Hakametsä icehockey arena parkinglot, turns to highway 12 and goes round Kissanmaa/Ruotula/Takahuhti/Linnainmaa area. Dropping for a moment to highway E63. Turning to smaller road towards Kangasala and before city center of Kangasala drops back to highway 12 and goes till we arrive to Vehoniemi.

Both routes are attached as an Google Earth KMZ files. Shows turning points and some other information - follow the pins on the map. smile.gif

For some peeks from Vehoniemi collection;
- Last existing Mercedes-Benz Waxenberger race-car, only 3 built
- ZIS 110, which was in use of president J.K. Paasikivi
- Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost 1921, fully restored

Vehoniemi car museum is located next to great views and there is tower to watch Roine and Längelmävesi lakes. Also asked toyshop at car museum to try get some Puma models and toycars on their hand for selling.

Anybody with right adventurist mentality from abroad are welcomed with or without Puma. Owners of Finnish Pumas may have spare seats and ability to pick visitors from Tampere Pirkkala airport to join round-trip with us. If abroad members are present, I'll help booking hotel rooms and help navigating thru Pirkanmaa. Airport is near Tampere, approx 10km from city and hotels.

Hotel Urku is close to our final destination Vehoniemi.

Currently confirmed:
- ssulti (2 person)
- tull (2 person)
- zedder
- porrari (2 person)

And from "general meet discussion" thread (still waiting go/no-go):
- Zo0

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by ssulti: 28 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

2010 Toyota Prius HSD / Looking for 2nd car...
Ford Puma Owners Club Finland (Facebook group)
(had: 1999 Puma, 1.7, 190 000km, still looking for next one...)

#2 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

I just got confirmation from Vehoniemi car-museum. They are happy to take us for tour on their museum and they welcomes PP members.

If there is need for some special cafeteria service, these must be arranged in advance with known amount of participants. Without advance arrangements there will be normal cafeteria service available.

Toyshop confirmed that they try to get on their hands some Minichamp Pumas (red ones). Probably this one or something similar. (first red minichamp Ford Puma on google)

Post your status to this thread, so I can keep on count if this will happen. Route is just a first version, I'm happy to listen alternative routes. I have longer route on my back pocket, it goes further west and goes around small roads on Siuro and Sasi area.

So, spread the news and make this happening happen. wink.gif

This post has been edited by ssulti: 03 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

#3 User is offline   tull 

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

Ok ssulti count us(2 pers. and puma) in. At least You don`t have to drive alone. rolleyes.gif

#4 User is offline   porrari 

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

2 person coming from Kuopio and one puma. And try to get more with us.

#5 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

Route, is that suggested route good, or do we make better one?

One option is extend the route to go around Siuro's back roads, but that means extra 30-60km to the trip and it will shorten time on the Vehoniemi. Or if members like to spend more time on Vehoniemi and on the beautiful landscapes, we can even shorten the route and left out Pirkkala area.

Is up to you members, waiting for comments. wink.gif

This meeting seems to be PP Finland/Estonian meet, so anyone from abroad - join the convoy. Sweden & Norway, this isn't so far away? wink.gif

And for UK members, there is straight flights (Ryanair) from Stansted to Tampere-Pirkkala (TMP) if you like to attend.

#6 User is offline   tull 

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

The route is good, as we trust You ssulti (surely You know the most astonishing local sightseeings and therefore You made for us the best possible route).
We start our trip to Finland at 26 of June (visiting beautiful places and visiting some friends in southern Finland). There is a small question to You ssulti - Do You know some "mökki" style hostel-campingplaces near Tampere where to stay by night (to make some grill ourself and feel free with beer rolleyes.gif in pure nature). Some years ago visited a small hotel somewhere in Lempälää, near railway but that wasn`t exactly that what I meant.
OK and there comes Sunday, what time You think we`ll start ssulti. We have booked our ferry tickets at 22.00 from Helsinki to Tallinn(we can make changes if needed).
And is there anything, we can help You or other participants from here?

tull

This post has been edited by tull: 08 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

#7 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (tull @ Jun 8 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The route is good, as we trust You ssulti (surely You know the most astonishing local sightseeings and therefore You made for us the best possible route).
We start our trip to Finland at 26 of June (visiting beautiful places and visiting some friends in southern Finland). There is a small question to You ssulti - Do You know some "mökki" style hostel-campingplaces near Tampere where to stay by night (to make some grill ourself and feel free with beer rolleyes.gif in pure nature). Some years ago visited a small hotel somewhere in Lempälää, near railway but that wasn`t exactly that what I meant.
OK and there comes Sunday, what time You think we`ll start ssulti. We have booked our ferry tickets at 22.00 from Helsinki to Tallinn(we can make changes if needed).
And is there anything, we can help You or other participants from here?

I'll patch a good route for us. I have been living in Pirkanmaa last 10 years now. Thinking start time to be around 10-11, which fits best. Start point probably to be changed to Hakametsä Icehockey arena parking lot. Big and often empty, so Puma's will be easier spotted than from McDonalds parking lot. Driving will take around 2h (if we take longest route thru Siuro/Sasi), shortest version takes under 1h and will be almost straight drive thru Kangasala. So expected time of arrival to Vehoniemi is around 12:00 - 13:00, depending start time and which route we will take.

Vehoniemi is open from 10 to 19:00. Entry is free and I'll arrange tour guide for us, when I know exact amount of the participants. And route back to home, from Vehoniemi (Kangasala) you should take 3 hours at least for drive to Helsinki.

Other participants from your side of the pond, guide them to correct place on correct time. Nothing more to say. Good maps (or GPS) helps if someone get lost and drops out from the convoy.

One of the Tampere camping areas is ; Härmälä or in City of Nokia : Viinikanniemi.

And for all; even it's summer time, no drink and drive or any other idiotic illegal activities on the roads. And - even we have speedy coupes, respect the speed limits. 50 on towns, if not otherwise told (30 or 40), outside towns 80 if not otherwise told (60,100). Highway from Helsinki to Tampere is 120km/h area mostly.

I'll lead the pack with my co-driver Sara (my 2.5 year old girl). So - behaving well and no cursing is good option. wink.gif

#8 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Routes are now ready. Comments and voting please. wink.gif

Both routes are made with Google Earth (Mac OS X version).

#9 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:40 AM

Got information from Vehoniemi, Puma metal models are very rare and very hard to find, so there won't be any... sadly.
And guide for the museum tour, probably we won't get one. All are reserved on some old car's happening elsewhere.

But, some teasers from the weekend route. wink.gif

#10 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Just got back from the trip. Weather was good (+28'c air, +50'c road). Pulling pictures out of my camera.

It was nice to meet you all, hopefully next summer we get more Pumas to roar around finnish summer... wink.gif

Standing up, left to right: porrari & co-pilot, Zedder, tull & co-pilot.
Lower line: ssulti + co-pilot Sara

Pumas, left to right: porrari, zedder, ssulti, tull

This post has been edited by ssulti: 28 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

#11 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

Nice group photos biggrin.gif
is that Electric Green? (I almost think it is Forest Green) perhaps the paint is called a different name for you?
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#12 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Jun 28 2009, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is that Electric Green?

Had little chat with tull (our Estonian addition), the car is entirely custom painted, exact color isn't clear to me - something metallic green.

We have to wait till tull drives out from ferry to home and comes to tell the truth. wink.gif

#13 User is offline   Matt & Tiggr MKIII 

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

That green is stunning!

I WANT that paint code biggrin.gif

Weather looks stunning, glad you had a great time !
Matt and Tiggr

"i have seen things you people couldn't believe; attack ships off the shoulder of orion. I watched c-beams at the tannhauser gate. all these things will be lost in time....like tears in the rain........
Time....to...die........"

#14 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

perhaps they used a Ford paint smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#15 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (ssulti @ Jun 25 2009, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got information from Vehoniemi, Puma metal models are very rare and very hard to find, so there won't be any... sadly.
And guide for the museum tour, probably we won't get one. All are reserved on some old car's happening elsewhere.

I think that's because I have them all

I have 24 Minichamps ones in various colours smile.gif
No Comment

#16 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Matt & Tiggr MKIII @ Jun 28 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Weather looks stunning, glad you had a great time !

Weather was good; on the road to home, Highway info-system told that air is +28'c and road is +50'c. No clouds... No AC... Both side windows down at speed of 100km/h to get car cool. wink.gif
Had a brief discussion with other participants that this will happen again at next summer.

Anyone recognizes the jersey which Sara has at the group picture? (UK members; this must be more than _EASY_) tongue.gif

Thanks to tull's wife for looking after Sara while I was busy packing stroller to my Puma at the Vehoniemi parking area.

This post has been edited by ssulti: 28 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

#17 User is offline   Matt & Tiggr MKIII 

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (ssulti @ Jun 28 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone recognizes the jersey which Sara has at the group picture? (UK members; this must be more than _EASY_) tongue.gif

Some Premiership football team I guess, but those of us that support Bristol City can only dream of such things wink.gif
Matt and Tiggr

"i have seen things you people couldn't believe; attack ships off the shoulder of orion. I watched c-beams at the tannhauser gate. all these things will be lost in time....like tears in the rain........
Time....to...die........"

#18 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

Green looks fantastic, begs the question why the hell wasn't it available here?
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#19 User is offline   ssulti 

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:37 AM

For all who asked me about parking sensor thing that I have on my Puma;

Central unit

Seems that the kit is unavailable currently at the shop where I bought it.

Zedder, it won't work thru plastic : it's ultrasonic sound based system, not electric...

#20 User is offline   porrari 

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:31 AM

Weekend was fine and little roads.. like to come back and will (100+).
But now have to go garage, rear wheel bearing is gone again, changed about 2 month ago. Last 100km was kind of noisy to drive home from meeting, not bad but annoying.

Try to get parts to change rear hubs to disk brakes ones, maybe focus has better bearings?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic