Pumapeople: Ford Racing Ka Springs Or Eibach Puma Springs - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ford Racing Ka Springs Or Eibach Puma Springs Opinions wanted please

#1 User is offline   ally frp364 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:32 PM

I know I can buy Eibach puma springs at Ford for £125 over the counter which provide a 30mm dropped but I have seen on birkbeck website that he sells racing ka springs for £55. Is this a viable option because I am 99% sure that these will fit the puma as I put a set on a mk4 fiesta 1.25 a few years ago. The racing ka springs says it lowers ka by 25mm but I am unsure what drop would be achieved on a puma. I also seem to remember that these springs had eibach written on them. What yous think?

#2 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

Is this for your Racing Puma?

#3 User is offline   ally frp364 

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (BOK @ Oct 21 2008, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this for your Racing Puma?

God no lol

Just brought a 1.7 cat c back from dead, reg W556 YCE and i'm chuffed to bits. It is show condition with only 50,000 on clock and runs sweet. Just passed mot and got VIC test yesterday. Was intending selling puma but it is worth more to me and I am now putting the frp off the road for the winter. In true style I am modifying the darn thing already! Would like to modifying using ford parts only as I have had it with aftermarket crap. I am starting with the 1.8 clutch from a focus which I will be fitting at weekend.

#4 User is offline   Dezza 

• View gallery

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (ally frp364 @ Oct 21 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I can buy Eibach puma springs at Ford for £125 over the counter which provide a 30mm dropped but I have seen on birkbeck website that he sells racing ka springs for £55. Is this a viable option because I am 99% sure that these will fit the puma as I put a set on a mk4 fiesta 1.25 a few years ago. The racing ka springs says it lowers ka by 25mm but I am unsure what drop would be achieved on a puma. I also seem to remember that these springs had eibach written on them. What yous think?

I would go with the puma ones. I had them on my puma before I got the FRP
Dez

#5 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

This is mine with the Ford Eibachs and standard shocks:

If you are fitting the 1.8 clutch, you may need to get the flywheel skimmed first. Otherwise, with the current wear pattern on the flywheel, you may not get full face contact on the new larger contact area.
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:52 PM

please let us know the before and after with the Fucus clutch and what parts you needed please?
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#7 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

I have just had the Focus clutch fitted in mine, went in no probs, the garage suggested it might take a little more bedding in because of the wear to the flywheel but didn't think it would be a prob, or take long.

Certainly drives much better than it did before!

I don't have the part numbers, but iirc the only non-Puma bit was the flywheel, I seem to recall there were three separate parts / kits that had to be purchased, will dig out the invoice tomorrow evening if you like?

2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#8 User is offline   bri e 

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

[quote name='FlashBastd' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:03 PM' post='777464']
I have just had the Focus clutch fitted in mine, went in no probs, the garage suggested it might take a little more bedding in because of the wear to the flywheel but didn't think it would be a prob, or take long.

I don't have the part numbers, but iirc the only non-Puma bit was the flywheel, I seem to recall there were three separate parts / kits that had to be purchased, will dig out the invoice tomorrow evening if you like

Please look out those part numbers as i am having a new clutch fitted on monday to our 1997 1.7 puma the original clutch has just started to slip after 128k.
thinking about fitting a quinton hazell pattern clutch ?

regards bri e

#9 User is offline   ally frp364 

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (FlashBastd @ Oct 22 2008, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have the part numbers, but iirc the only non-Puma bit was the flywheel, I seem to recall there were three separate parts / kits that had to be purchased, will dig out the invoice tomorrow evening if you like?

Do you fit a focus release bearing as well? Cheers

#10 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (ally frp364 @ Oct 23 2008, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you fit a focus release bearing as well? Cheers

I don't honestly know.

I just told them to order a Focus 1.6 / 1.8 clutch!

I don't have the part numbers because although they are genuine Ford parts, I had them fitted at an independant garage, and their invoice doesn't show part numbers or finis codes.

I just know that they used a Clutch kit, Clutch Release kit and a Clutch cylinder.

The clutch release kit seems very cheap anyway @ circa £8, and may even be the same as the Focus one? Wouldn't be a disaster if you got both before having the job done and returned the one you didn't use.

Hope this is helpful.

This post has been edited by FlashBastd: 23 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#11 User is offline   ally frp364 

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (FlashBastd @ Oct 23 2008, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't honestly know.

I just told them to order a Focus 1.6 / 1.8 clutch!

I don't have the part numbers because although they are genuine Ford parts, I had them fitted at an independant garage, and their invoice doesn't show part numbers or finis codes.

I just know that they used a Clutch kit, Clutch Release kit and a Clutch cylinder.

The clutch release kit seems very cheap anyway @ circa £8, and may even be the same as the Focus one? Wouldn't be a disaster if you got both before having the job done and returned the one you didn't use.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks 4 quick reply.

£8.00 seems really cheap for slave cylinder. I am pricing one on ebay just now for bout £30 and a clutch kit for about the same so looking 60 - 70 all in plus postage. It would help to know exactly what was used if possible. A slave cylinder from ford would cost about 50 - 70 I would imagine so it would be very unlikely to be a genuine ford part. Cheers Ally

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

more like 85 odd from Ford for the slave I think
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#13 User is offline   gigglebug 

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

Hi there
I hoping to find out if anyone ever tried using the KA racing springs on a Puma and how it went as far as fitment, ride height and of course general ride is concerned. Any input appreciated
Regards

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic