Pumapeople: Dab Radio - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dab Radio

#1 User is offline   Jimmeh 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

Well im new to these DAB in car radios, used to only having it on my household radio!

What I need to know is, whats the easiest way to install them? Do i need a special aerial?

And what DAB radio would you recommend?

#2 User is offline   djrinsa 

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hi Jimmeh,

DAB radios install as any other radios, and do need a DAB aerial. You can either buy a replacement aerial for your kat (Decent one you are looking at about £60 - £100 for aerial plus the leads), or you can buy an aerial you attach to your windscreen, which is a lot easier to install, cheaper, but not everyone likes it being there! Like this one on my old car:

That said, I had no complaints about the signal from that aerial and would only drop out very occasionally.

The radio I have is a JVC KD-LH401, one of the very early DAB car radios (2005 model), but still very good and can be picked up on for about £50 nowadays I think

#3 User is offline   Mimi 

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

Oh I'm SO glad I came across this! :rolleyes:

Just thinking about buying my first Puma but my concern was whether or not I could have my DAB in it - gotta have me DAB!!!

All I need to find out now is.... is the CD self-changing or do manual? I've got a 12-disc at the mo, and I noticed that this a 6-er... Ah, well, sometimes we have to make little sacrifices!

:cool: Cheers guys!

My planet ROCKS!! B)

This post has been edited by Mimi: 25 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

#4 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

why do you need a different aeriel?

Someone stole my Thunder...

#5 User is offline   MikeB 

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hi,

I use a Pure Highway in my FRP (car has an aftermarket Pioneer Radio with no RDS on FM. Good radio/single CD Head Unit). You let the Pure Highway tune itself, it then tells you an FM frequency to use - tune the radio to the recommended FM frequency and Hey Presto you have DAB - great for Planet Rock if you like it (not available other than on DAB or the Internet).

Pure Highway costs about #70 (GBP) (it is supplied with a screen mount aerial, best left in the box if you have an electric screen) - best use aa magnetic roof aerial: see "DAB on Wheels", get one with a 4m lead, you can then fit aerial just in front of rear screen wash nozzle, route cable in through side top of tailgate, round rear quarter window, over top of door & down screen pillar onto dashboard. You use a 12 volt cigarette plug to power the radio.

I can drive from Chippenham to Nottingham without having to "retune" on FM90.1.

A great piece of kit and not too expensive to set up.

good Luck

Mike
MikeB

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic