• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cambelt / Timing Belt Interval 10 years/100k or 5 years/80k Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MarkJones 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hi,

First of all, apologies if this question has been asked to death on here but the search facility isn't giving me the answers I need.

I've read (on this site) that the timing belt change interval on the Puma is 5 years or 80,000 miles. So a few weeks ago I went along to Allen Ford Warwick to book our car in (a December '01 (51) Ford Puma Thunder 1.7). However, I was told that the interval is definately 10 years or 100,000 miles. I was then given a print out showing the main service intervals for the car (with the registratration number and VIN at the top) for timing belt, coolant, brake fluid etc from the Ford ETIS system and was satisfied that the timing belt would be ok for a long time yet.

Just to make sure, I phoned Allen Ford in Coventry and asked them to confirm the interval. Again the answer was a definate 10 years / 100,000 miles.

But it was still nagging me, so I called Pumabuild. As I expected (from reading this forum) the answer was 5 years / 80,000 miles. I asked why this was the case when Ford are telling me otherwise and the guy said he didn't know and that I should phone back later and ask "Al".

Can someone shed light on where the shorter interval has come from?

Thanks

Mark

#2 User is offline   Pearson 

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

Its definitely 5 years – I can't remember when it changed but its in the later TIS, Allen ford must be using an earlier version. The problem is less with the belt but more of the tensioner.

In anycase take it to uncle Alan at PB as this month he has a special offer on timing belts / tensioners at £175 all in.

Check out: http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66461

Jon
Update (Sept 08): Puma gone after 5 years, now have VW 170 Tiguan TDI Sport and now have my weekends back rather than fixing the rust, HCV's, filling it up every 250 miles and worrying about the next timing belt change

#3 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:38 PM

ignore the monkeys at ford - its def 80k or 5 years

as Jon says Uncle Alan has special offer on as well
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#4 Guest_XIIVVX_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (MarkJones @ Feb 13 2007, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone shed light on where the shorter interval has come from?

Thanks

Mark

Ford, after a few problems with the longer interval.

XIIVVX

Bet you don't get away from Pumabuild just £175 lighter though. wink.gif

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

Those two garages you called are 100% wrong for your 1.7. They are using old data and I bet they would not underwrite your car if you made them put it in writing.
however given their bad data you may not want them changing your cam belt as they probably have never done one before.
Please read this sticky post in General Messages that is all about the cam belt change smile.gif

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13895
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   Smoking_Zephyr 

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:00 PM

I was told by Fords that for a 1.4 or 1.6 it is 10 years or 100k whichever comes first.

This post has been edited by smokingzephyr: 13 February 2007 - 08:00 PM

I ran the BUPA Great Manchester Run on 17 May 2009 to raise money for CANCER RESEARCH UK

Puma's owned to date...
July 2006 - February 2008 1998 Red S Reg 1.4 Ford Puma... February 2008 - Present 2001 Black Y Reg 1.7 Ford Puma

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

yep, it is only the 1.7 that was changed.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#8 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

The paperwork that the changes were made on was eTIS November 2004.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#9 User is offline   MarkJones 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 13 2007, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please read this sticky post in General Messages that is all about the cam belt change smile.gif

http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13895

I found that using search but would like to know the source of the information (a reference number would be good). I'm not disagreeing that it's been changed to 80,000 miles 5 years but would like to hear it from Ford.

Do Pumabuild open at the weekends?

Thanks again

Mark

QUOTE (XIIVVX @ Feb 13 2007, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bet you don't get away from Pumabuild just £175 lighter though. wink.gif

Why's that? Because of temptation or because they are good at finding faults?

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

your local Ford dealer can find this out themselves if they look in the right places. If they rely on old information they will only tell you old information. I saw personally a copy of an advice notice of this change at my local dealer back in 2005, they had filed it for reference.

#11 Guest_XIIVVX_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (MarkJones @ Feb 15 2007, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why's that? Because of temptation or because they are good at finding faults?

The latter.

XIIVVX

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

taken from that link
All interval information within this post Ref: Ford Motor Company eTIS November 2004.

#13 User is offline   MarkJones 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 15 2007, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
taken from that link
All interval information within this post Ref: Ford Motor Company eTIS November 2004.

I just phoned Paynes Garages Hinkley (not part of Allen Ford) and was told the interval is 70,000 miles/ 5 years.

So either is has dropped further from 80,000 miles or there is another discrepancy somewhere.

Either way, the cambelt certainly should be changed now as it was 5 years old in December (36,000) miles.

Thanks again

Mark

#14 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

it's scary isn't it how as the customer we get such losey information sad.gif but at least the above got the yearly part of it right smile.gif bet if pushed to check they would get it all right and that's just someone's memory saying 70k ja_stupid.gif

#15 User is offline   julian924s 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 15 2007, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's scary isn't it how as the customer we get such losey information sad.gif but at least the above got the yearly part of it right smile.gif bet if pushed to check they would get it all right and that's just someone's memory saying 70k ja_stupid.gif

So it's 10yrs / 100,000 or 5yrs / 80,000 or 5yrs / 70,000 or any mathematical variation on any of those numbers ... right thats clear then.
VX Vectra-C CDTi SRi 150

#16 User is offline   Sw33t 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

5/80K is the right interval for the 1.7.. check the ford website and you can find it out for yourself.

"Camshaft drive belt, tensioner and idlers Every 80 000 miles/5 years - Renew (without auto-tensioner)"

#17 User is offline   julian924s 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Sw33t @ Feb 15 2007, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
5/80K is the right interval for the 1.7.. check the ford website and you can find it out for yourself.

"Camshaft drive belt, tensioner and idlers Every 80 000 miles/5 years - Renew (without auto-tensioner)"

What's the link?
VX Vectra-C CDTi SRi 150

#18 User is offline   Sw33t 

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleForm.do

Just search Puma VCT 8 years service or something

#19 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (MarkJones @ Feb 15 2007, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Either way, the cambelt certainly should be changed now as it was 5 years old in December (36,000) miles.

Yes, or try and find another engine, good luck with that as Kat engines are becoming rare thanks to our friends who put them into Fiestas, why not buy a Puma in the first place. 9.gif
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#20 User is offline   jgledhil 

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

My cambelt went last week on my 5 and a half year old 51 plate Puma 1.7 SE VCT. When I asked the mechanic at Clemo Ford (Cleckheaton) what the service interval was, he said 10 years or 100,000 miles. They quoted £1,200 for the repair. After reading on here that Ford had reduced the interval to 5 years or 80,000 miles, I didn't believe him.

I was googling like crazy to find a Ford website that confirmed this and I even phoned Ford helpline but without any luck. Then I found it!!!!

This Ford eTIS (electronic technical information service) is a servicing website for main dealers and it's run by Ford. It lists everything that they should do at every service for every model of Ford. For my Puma 1.7 SE VCT it says re-new the Cam Belt at the 5th service!!!! It also says Ford Motor Company Copyright 1994-2007, confirming that the information is official and up-to-date.

http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleForm.do

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic