Pumapeople: So Who's Bright Idea Was It To Come This Way? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So Who's Bright Idea Was It To Come This Way? Ford Puma + Toyo T1-R's + very wet muddy field...

#1 User is offline   southpaw 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

*deleted*

This post has been edited by southpaw: 31 May 2008 - 11:18 PM

#2 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Def not smile.gif

I'd had Tiggr only 2 months when I went to stay at a friends farm in Cumbria. Never been there before, found the farm on the map, couldnt find track in. Eventually found it - bloody dreadful condtition it was in, 2 miles long and pot holes you could go caving in. Finally made it to the farm, at which point my friend came out

"You bloody idiot! You know you've just come up the old drovers road? We dont even risk that in the Landrover!"

Then she pointed to the lovely tarmac 1/2 mile drive to the main road... ( I checked map, and it was hidden in a bad crease...)

No real damage, but Tiggr got the real rally slag look wink.gif

Second time was year later looking for climbs in Northumberland. Was trying to locate "Jack Rock", on the River Coquet. To get to it you drive down an old track. It was autumn. I didnt see the drain pipe crossing the track cos of the leaves.

Hit it hard and bumped over it. Checking exhaust, found it was still on. Weather deteriorated so turned car round to go back up the track. Got to pipe, and found I couldn't get over it. The three of us had to rig up a pulley system with the climbing ropes and gear to pull Tiggr over the pipe.

Some people never learn wink.gif

#3 User is offline   AndyW 

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

Good story! good.gif

A little unlucky tho.
Looking for a paint correction service? Drop me a PM!

#4 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

I was out with the local motor club one night on a "12 Car Rally"

The "Only" bend my navigator called right all night was a 90 right with a grass verge and a bank, which we hit ohmy.gif
We were only about 6 foot off the road, but couldn't get any traction on the grass to reverse back onto the road sad.gif

About an hour later, another mate turned up with a tow rope and a girl he knew.
He pulled me back onto the road.
And I married the girl rolleyes.gif 18 years ago now biggrin.gif
Bloody expensive accident laugh.gif

Yes it was a van but running a tuned RS2000 engine ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Dogsbody: 14 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   PumaVoodoo 

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

That's one hell of a way to say thanks biggrin.gif
S*** LRX, usually belting between Dover and Maidstone by any means except the M20

Weitec GT Coilovers, Powerflex bushes, Milltek full FRP exhaust, 280mm front brakes
Low slung, taught, powerful and stops on a dime.

#6 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

Good one, Southpaw! Glad you got out OK - bet the kat took some cleaning laugh.gif
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#7 User is offline   southpaw 

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

Unfortunately had to put it through a car wash as I was leaving early the next morning and didn't want to put it away for 3-4 weeks dirty sad.gif Will need to get busy with a clay bar and some Megs Scratch X when I get back!

#8 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

Good story there - did you go out in the end afterwards or were you covered in cowpat? tongue.gif
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#9 User is offline   southpaw 

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

Went out, just a bit muddy wink.gif

#10 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:44 PM

thats what your rear seats & parcel shelf are for......sticking under the wheels in an emergency.......

#11 User is offline   Guy Incognito 

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

nice!

I was on a Scout camp some years ago in Freezey Water just outside London. The Leader drove his Camper transit van thing over the wee bridge and straight into the grass at the side of the road.

He then went, booked us in and came back to start his van to put it in the right place.

Only it wouldnt move. As it was rear wheel drive we decided to put 18mm chipboard under the rear wheels and push at the front so he could reverse out.

This was when we discovered the van was front wheel drive so three of us got absolutely covered in mud as he twisted the steering wheel back and forth.

As we were all muddy anyway and the van hadn't moved we decided to put the wood behond the front wheels and push again at the front.

At first it just skidded on the edge of the board as we rocked the van, then all of a sudden the van mounted the board, shot across it and down the otherside whereupon it shot the 18mm board straight out the fornt of the van at very high speed. As there were several smaller scouts trying to help at the front of the van it could have been quite serious with broken legs/knee caps etc.

As luck would have it my shins got in the way and stooped the board dead just short of the nearest scot! blink.gif

I am proud to say that i did not swear!

In the end we got a drunk guy with a 4x4 out the boating club who pulled the van out beofre going back to his pint and I hobbled for weeks. laugh.gif

#12 User is offline   xjay 

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Jan 14 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tiggr got the real rally slag look wink.gif

Hahaha.. rally slag smile.gif
Puma 1.7i Black - Norwich W*** XPU

#13 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

Ha ha ha!! muddy/grassy fields can be great fun!!!! laugh.gif

The technique i found works great is keep the speed up while you can and NEVER stop!!! When you have traction get the speed up and remember when you havent keep the revs high in 1st/2nd and remember it handles like a hovercraft on mud/grass!! Turn, wait a bit, slide, revs and wheels bite, change direction and take turn off a while early!!!! Good job you have power steering cos youll be going lock to lock to keep course and in deepish mud you need full lock just to get it to begin to turn!!
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic