Pumapeople: Frp Stainless Steel Pistons - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Frp Stainless Steel Pistons very high quality 316 Grade

#1 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:53 PM

316 Grade Stainless pistons are here at last... woot2.gif Precision CNC machined with high quality finish so that the movment over the seal is VERY smooth

316 grade is being used because the 304 grade, although cheaper, is more time consuming to machine to exact spec, due to the fact they have to be made slightly oversized and then 'ground' down...... mellow.gif
This grade of stainless is very hard wearing and far more resistant to corrosion and pitting like the 304 grade does after 2-3 years of use...

iv'e also sourced new Bleed screws made up in the same grade of Stainless, which are excellent quality too...

All other bolts can also be replaced in A4 stainless.... including the stupid rusty bolt that secures the 'H Clip' with the flimsy retaining pin...

I no longer supply these individually... i buy them in sets and so must be fitted as a set!...

Price is currently £200 per set..(8)..which is only £25 per piston!........not bad considering they are currently £47 (38.1mm) £41 (41mm) for the Alcon/ford supplied ones... 1112202173.gif ranting2.gif

pm me for ordering... wink.gif

Regards

Chris

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 14 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#2 User is offline   cheshiresport 

• Group: Members

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:30 PM

Sounds like a good deal Chris. ja_cool.gif ja_cool.gif

Did you ever send out that tool for removing the pistons mate?? ja_stupid.gif ja_stupid.gif

#3 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (cheshiresport @ Jul 30 2007, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like a good deal Chris. ja_cool.gif ja_cool.gif
Did you ever send out that tool for removing the pistons mate?? ja_stupid.gif ja_stupid.gif

sorry you've been waiting forever... blush.gif

iv'e been busy with another service and also this engineering firm is using it to make me a more stable block as my wooden one is getting gradually wrecked...

he has the measurements now so i'll get it in the post to you...

Regards

Chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#4 User is offline   CheshireKat 

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

Thanks Chris, i dont mind waiting i just appreciate you letting me use it good.gif good.gif good.gif

Written by Daz

This post has been edited by CheshireKat: 30 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

#5 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

Just a little update to this thread.... SEE START OF THREAD

Stainless pistons are now in stock... smile.gif

also iv'e had new Bleed screws made up in the same grade of Stainless (316)... which are excellent quality too...

All other bolts can also be replaced in A2 stainless.... including the stupid rusty bolt that secures the 'H Clip' with the flimsy retaining pin...

i'm still working on sourcing some M5 x8 for the pad retaining rails with a Torx fitting....I suspect Alcon would want a pound per screw or somthing stupid like that... biggrin.gif
have to make do with a button head screw with Hex head at the mo.

chris

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 19 August 2007 - 11:07 AM

Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#6 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:18 AM

now, if someone can machine the alcon calipers themseleves - that would be sweet...
RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#7 User is offline   ALAN at PUMABUILD 

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

Chris you should test these pistons before you sell them for durability There are lots of diffrent types of stainless steel and there is even magnetic and non magnetic buying a stainless steel because it machines easy is not a good idea, the originals were surface ground to produce the correct finish that was compatable for the seal.

Pistons are made from quite a hard stainless that is non magnetic so it does not allow brake particles from the disc to attach itself to the piston surface.

Standard Racing Puma's when built were fitted with stainless steel pistons not chrome plated ones like you mention.

I have seen a few racing puma's in my time fitted with the chrome plated items and they are also a very poor quality and did not last long.

If Racing Puma owners look after the calipers by cleaning them every 6 months then pistons would last a lot longer.

#8 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:51 PM

the words 'Sour Grapes' spring to mind... :poke:

The company that supplied these have machined a similar spec to other motorsport enthusiasts for race specific applications... they are of the absolute highest quality.... and in another league from the ones supplied by Alcon..

At a motorsport show last year Alcon actually recommended the spec as being a good idea to ensure longer and more sustained performance life of the caliper...

The reason for getting these made wasn't just a cost or performance upgrade issue.... i'm just getting totally P****d off with forking out unreasonable money for parts that ford couldn't give a stuff about.... the last few pistons i bought from Ford/Alcon came in a stupid little paper box which had clearly been dropped as their were 'burring' marks on the edges of the piston... it's just not on when your paying £47 for a piston...

Of course they have been measured and pressure tested...

If your going to add to the thread try and add somthing positive too... B) B)

Chris

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 01 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#9 User is offline   ALAN at PUMABUILD 

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:40 AM

No sour grapes at all Chris

You decide you want to be a mechanic / Parts manufacture then fair play to you give it a go!

I have seen lots of types of pistons and tried lots of different type of material i used to engrave the back of the piston with some numbers with the type of material used so i could tell what condition the piston was in a few years down the line. I feel that the Alcon piston which is supplied by Ford to be of a good quality and if looked after will serve many years service. We only fit Original Alcon parts now to the calipers but i also feel £40 is expensive but the cost to ford will be less then there will be a packaging fee and a stocking fee and a customer support fee so yes the price does tend to go up a little.
Like i said before if FRP owners cleand there brakes every 6 months they would last forever (preventive maintence)

#10 User is offline   pumatopcat 

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:12 PM

i got my brakes done in feb at <a href="http://www.pumabuild.co.uk" target="_blank">Pumabuild</a> and i took some pistons up that i got of the guy when i bought the car( i know were they come from and they were machined aswell ) and the quality of them to the ones alan showed me from <a href="http://www.pumabuild.co.uk" target="_blank">Pumabuild</a> was so much different, even though they were stainless steel ones they just wasnt worth fitting

oviously the choice is yours, but if your going to spend all that money you might as well get the real alcon thing made and deisigned for your puma racer

mine are due to come up to you alan for a clean coz that dam squeeky noise is back but im pritty sure im going to need discs as well. so im waiting til after payday

simon

pumatopcat175

#11 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

oviously the choice is yours, but if your going to spend all that money you might as well get the real alcon thing made and deisigned for your puma racer

pumatopcat175

I totally agree too... :good: it makes me cringe to see people using sub-standard or/and non-standard parts on our FRP's.... especially where the brakes are concerned

i have always used the Alcon parts and fixings when messing around with the calipers.... I agree too that the Alcon pistons are a perfectly good quality item.... when stripping down my own calipers this year, i found hardly any corrosion at all and only a tiny amount of pitting in two years.... i was very impressed....

I did a lot of searching around on the net to find out information on different types of pistons etc ... and stumbled upon a site where someone had already had some of this 'higher grade' piston made up and was ravving about the quality and performance benefits..... as mentioned previously, the engineer who did this work had already supplied them for very specific motorsport applications....
I jumped at the chance to get some made in frp spec as they are of the absolute highest quality.... i would'nt be vaguely interested in them if they were not as good or better than the Alcon ones....

Ford supplied ones currently stand at £352 per set..(half of which may have burring marks on too :rant: :rant: .. i mean come on someones having a laugh.... ok, their good quality, but not that good... if the quality can be matched or improved on, and the price reduced then that can't be a bad thing....

people generally come to me for cheap, but thorough overhaul.... If i charge £70 for a days work and then have to add on £300 just for pistons it makes a bit of a nonsense out the whole thing...

Chris

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 01 March 2010 - 01:33 PM

Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#12 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

It's such a joy to read all the positive feedback from my hard work...... :wacko: :blush:

one more thing... i'm not forcing anyone to buy my pistons, i have Alcon ones too.... so have the choice of both.... I thought people would be jumping up and down to aquire some better quality ones that performed better and lasted longer.... i guess my day will have to wait until a couple of years time when i take mine out and they are still in mint condition.... :bleh: :bleh:

Chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#13 User is offline   Sw33t 

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:56 PM

I agree with jacko completely.

I dont currently have an FRP but if I did I would jump at Chris's offer. At the end of the day owners make their own decision to take their cars to Chris.

All of the reviews I have read have been very positive towards his work.

It is comparible to me giving my cars to my mechanic friend to maintain, i never expect a guarantee.

Just my random thoughts.

#14 User is offline   racingpuma1982 

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

....This forum is all about people helping each other! Chris offers an excellent service that you can not get anywhere else! :beer:

#15 User is offline   vaspetrol 

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hey Chris, well done for getting the pistons made up. If this is the start of you business building up , then go for it. biggrin.gif I would say it's a good thing if you have worried 'rivals' sniffing around laugh.gif laugh.gif When my calipers need some work doing you know who I'd come to. You are the brake daddy. Anyone who take 453 out for a blast can tell that. I cant think of any garage that would spend all day working on a customers calipers like you do. Everyone I know who has been to you only says good stuff about your work.
You are the Eldude!!! biggrin.gif

P.S, I must bring my spare set of calipers round for a check over, then swop them onto car I think. May do it over the winter if thats cool biggrin.gif
Vas
FRP #385 / FORD FIESTA ZETEC-S
Looked after by GK!!-In GK Ford I trust
BRAKES LOOKED AFTER BY DR.ALCON @ ELDUDE-BUILD!

PERFORMANCE FORD SHOW 2006-BEST PUMA WINNER
FORD FAIR CONCOURS CLASS WINNER 2006
WONDERLAND SPORTSCAR SHOW 2007-CONCOURS 2ND PLACE
BEST PARADE LAP FRP WINNER-CASTLE COMBE 2007
PUMAPEOPLE CALENDAR CAR 2009

Racing Puma Owners Club Membership Administrator

#16 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (eldoodarino @ Aug 21 2007, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and I enjoy demonstrating their potential too... laugh.gif

Don't you just puke.gif

I'm spending rather alot on #260's body next year but if I can find some spare cash I'll be coming up to see you again, hopefully for a pistons, discs as well as a clean and paint - really depends if I can find the cash!
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#17 User is offline   shinigami 

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

Just want to say thanks for working on my car yesterday. Very interesting stuff and it's cool to see what condition all the bits are in. I have two of these new stainless pistons on one of my calipers now and I don't see a problem with them, these things have been very precisely made as we discovered when comparing their size with the originals.

Thumbs up from me and thanks very much for the little work around to remove the squeal, it seems to be working a treat. Now the only thing that people can hear when I pull up is the exhaust biggrin.gif
FRP = Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Owner of FRP #444

#18 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

Just a slight update to this thread....

When ordering the pistons i also asked the engineer to machine up some blocks for me to speed up the piston removal....

i have made them in wood previously but they get crushed and damaged over time.... so here they are in solid Nylon...

very pleased with them... some of you who have expressed interest already will have them in the post soon...

Removing the pistons with the use of this block makes it an absolute doddle as they all come out and hit the block to the same place, just before leaving the pressure seal... the block is then removed and the pistons can be 'wiggled' out by hand in seconds...

woot2.gif

there's another picture in the technical gallery...

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 25 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#19 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

im glad ive allready ordered mine woot2.gif woot2.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#20 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

I think this might be the last little update now.... laugh.gif but hey!... Torx Screws now in stock too...

Finding a Fasteners that actually had these in stock was a long and tedious process.... i eventually found a supplier that had the Zinc coated ones as fitted to the FRP calipers.... and asked them about the possibility of obtaining them in stainless... they said yes, probably, but you have to order a box of 1000... laugh.gif so now i have a 1000 of the little buggers.... and it's cost me way more than i wanted to spend.. wacko.gif

here they are anyway.... i'm offering some up on ebay at the moment... i'm kind of hoping a dozen owners on here will want some, you can pass them on to whoever you like for fitting when you get your calipers serviced next.... and it will help me recoup a bit of dosh in the process... biggrin.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=013

This post has been edited by eldoodarino: 05 September 2007 - 09:43 AM

Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic