Pumapeople: Poor Starting - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Poor Starting Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bishy 

• Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:09 PM

dry.gif Hi - I have a 1998 beauty, however if I start the car and travel 20m then switch it off, she wont start again - the engine will turn, but it wont fire up. I never have any problems starting it when left for long periods eg over night etc, but after a real short one the problem is there. Have been told could be wrong oil which interferes with inlet outlet valves - any ideas? cheers

#2 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

Is that 20 metres or miles? The 1.7 doesn't like really short journeys, in these cases just depress the accelerator when turning the key and the engine should fire straight away (I think its in the handbook under starting procedures).
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#3 User is offline   Sw33t 

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

Mine does a similar thing but I can usually get it to start without too much hassle really.

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

welcome biggrin.gif
have a read of this
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   Sw33t 

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

I use ye'old method from an '89 Orion which is to pump the accelerator twice then start it with (only) the clutch down, seems to work for me here.

Noting that it was in the Orions handbook..

#6 User is offline   bishy 

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Neil1984 @ Feb 20 2007, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that 20 metres or miles? The 1.7 doesn't like really short journeys, in these cases just depress the accelerator when turning the key and the engine should fire straight away (I think its in the handbook under starting procedures).

No honestly I'm not that daft! its 20 METRES and if I try and start it with the accelerator down all that happens is when it does finally start it stinks of fuel!

#7 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:41 PM

How long does it take to start? It should only be a few seconds.
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#8 User is offline   pumanurse 

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

If I'm only moving a car a short distance I always let the engine run for a few minutes before turning it off.
No Comment

#9 User is offline   bishy 

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (Neil1984 @ Feb 20 2007, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How long does it take to start? It should only be a few seconds.

The engine can be turning for a good 10-15 seconds and when it does start it feels lumpy for about another 5 seconds
every 2nd tank of fuel is super unleaded

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

as a general when was it last serviced, it might just need some TLC smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#11 User is offline   bishy 

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 20 2007, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as a general when was it last serviced, it might just need some TLC smile.gif

think that might be best bet although serviced every ten k at hendy fords

#12 User is offline   washer 

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

No, I have had this trouble if I just start & move a little, say just to reposition the car for example. And have seen lots of other similar posts. Just let her idle for a minute or so & then she will be OK.

Running for a few seconds seems to have a similar effect to flooding the engine. Lots of cars suffer from this.

#13 User is offline   Clawz 

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Yip, mine does the same. Nature of the beast, don't use it for 20 meter journeys or listen to the rest on here and let her idle for a minute afterwards.

Lots of short journeys (especially these 20 metre trips) will wear down the engine fast! Oil will never reach operating temperature (condensation = rust, same story on the exhaust), etc etc..
Jon
Melina blue 1.7 (11-1997)
Honda VTR 1000 SP-2 (2004)

#14 User is offline   BADG3R 

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (bishy @ Feb 20 2007, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dry.gif Hi - I have a 1998 beauty, however if I start the car and travel 20m then switch it off, she wont start again - the engine will turn, but it wont fire up. I never have any problems starting it when left for long periods eg over night etc, but after a real short one the problem is there. Have been told could be wrong oil which interferes with inlet outlet valves - any ideas? cheers

Hi Bishy - mine doesn't like starting if it's been moved and turned off when the engine's still cold. Even the next day it can run really rough for a few seconds. I believe it's due to having unburnt fuel in the catalytic converter. If I get mine out of the garage to wash it I always drive round the block a few times too warm it up before I switch off.
As regards servicing, mine's always been like it since new. (What I mean is that my Puma's been serviced meticulously every 8k miles and I reckon it's a Puma characteristic, not a fault with your particular car).
Make sure you never turn it off cold and you'll be OK - a pain in the ar**e sometimes I know!

This post has been edited by BADG3R: 24 February 2007 - 01:10 AM

Dave.

#15 User is offline   bishy 

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

[quote name='BADG3R' date='Feb 23 2007, 11:55 PM' post='528635']
Hi Bishy - mine doesn't like starting if it's been moved and turned off when the engine's still cold. Even the next day it can run really rough for a few seconds. I believe it's due to having unburnt fuel in the catalytic converter. If I get mine out of the garage to wash it I always drive round the block a few times too warm it up before I switch off.
As regards servicing, mine's always been like it since new. (What I mean is that my Puma's been serviced meticulously every 8k miles and I reckon it's a Puma characteristic, not a fault with your particular car).
Make sure you never turn it off cold and you'll be OK - a pain in the ar**e sometimes I know!
I really appreciate all the replies I've had - I feel much better knowing it does seem to be a bit of a Puma characteristic! I'm a newbie and love the website, I did exactly the same as you got the car out to wash it neighbour came over to look at the car so I went to start it again and it didn't want to know - not great when your trying to show off your new pride and joy!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic