Pumapeople: Puma Vs Fiesta Zetec S - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Puma Vs Fiesta Zetec S

#1 User is offline   a1ex88 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

My friend wants to get a fiesta zetec s because he doesnt like the styling on the puma ohmy.gif but i was just wondering if anyone had tried both cars, is the puma much quicker and does it handle better?

thanks, alex

#2 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

when i was in Vas's ZS i was very suprised how nippy it was..... very similar performance to a puma....

altho i do think the 1.7 puma does have the edge slightly....

i'm sure vas and others will add their two penneth...

smile.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#3 User is offline   newpumaboy 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

A 1.7 pooma should kick a zetec s's ass really. a lot of the zetec s's are being modded now so that can change things a bit.

M

#4 User is offline   MattJ 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

Depends on what version you mean? Mk4 or Mk5?

I test drove a brand new Mk4 ZetecS a long time ago, but a few months after that I bought a Saxo VTR instead as it felt a lot more lively and exciting.

The ZetecS was a really nice car to drive, I enjoyed the drive. It was definitely sporty and handling etc was good, however compared with the VTR it did seem to feel heavy.

Compared with a Puma though, they are on the same chassis, but the Puma wins, purely for its all-round performance, handling and they do look great, the ZetecS is just another Fiesta.

I'd say to your friend to just go and test drive two or three Puma's and two or three ZetecS' and see what he thinks.

My money is on him to join us as a Puma driver! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MattJ: 17 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

Matt

2007 57 Astra VXR 2.0 Turbo - Arden Blue - 19s - Keyless

#5 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Isn't the Zetec S essentially a 1.6 Puma?
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#6 User is offline   scottwatkins 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (a1ex88 @ May 17 2007, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend wants to get a fiesta zetec s because he doesnt like the styling on the puma ohmy.gif but i was just wondering if anyone had tried both cars, is the puma much quicker and does it handle better?

thanks, alex
theres no comparison the 1.7 has 25 bhp more than the zetec s and handles much better, as quoted by jeremy clarkson its 1 of best handling cars ford has ever built...

#7 User is offline   a1ex88 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

cool.gif thanks for your speedy posts guys.

he currently has a 1.2 corsa sri and wants abit more uhhh bite lol. we're both 19 now and iv just come from a megane coup 1.6e (the boring 90bhp version) and im much happier with the puma, handles like a kart and isnt fast but is nippy enought to overtake the dawdellers on the road and embaress the silly boy racers around my area biggrin.gif

no one from the south wales area on here? soon to be moving to cheltenham / gloucester area in the summer wooo dry.gif

alex

#8 User is offline   tommobot 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

For a few days I had both the FRP & my old Zetec S (completely standard) at my disposal. Still wasnt quite used to the FRP yet but the Puma handled and brake, and just generally drove alot better than the Fiesta, however when I got back in my Fiesta after a few days I couldnt belive how blumin' eager it felt! Unlike the Puma which has very little pull low down in the revs the Fiesta had lots and felt like you were trying to hold it back when you just wanted to cruise along at 40!

On a plus note for the Fiesta; its got MUCH better rear visibility. And looked pretty tasty too aswell:

Miss her lots tbh huh.gif

#9 User is offline   scottwatkins 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (a1ex88 @ May 17 2007, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool.gif thanks for your speedy posts guys.

he currently has a 1.2 corsa sri and wants abit more uhhh bite lol. we're both 19 now and iv just come from a megane coup 1.6e (the boring 90bhp version) and im much happier with the puma, handles like a kart and isnt fast but is nippy enought to overtake the dawdellers on the road and embaress the silly boy racers around my area biggrin.gif

no one from the south wales area on here? soon to be moving to cheltenham / gloucester area in the summer wooo dry.gif

alex
yeah i'm from s.wales Merthyr smile.gif

#10 User is offline   a1ex88 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

heyhey, im from brecon matey. dry.gif pleased to meet you

ps tommobot, surprised you felt the fiesta had more pull than the frp, on paper its only a one car race

#11 User is offline   scottwatkins 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (a1ex88 @ May 17 2007, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ps tommobot, surprised you felt the fiesta had more pull than the frp, on paper its only a one car race
pleased to mrrt you to fella theres nothing better i like most than having a blast in brecon on a sunday morning. loving brecon jazz.

#12 User is offline   a1ex88 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

sorry corsa sxi not sri... appologies

#13 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

I had a W reg ZS. It was a great little car but the Puma is heaps better.
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#14 User is offline   101 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (Neil @ May 17 2007, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't the Zetec S essentially a 1.6 Puma?

Other way round sleep.gif
Steve 'N' TB4
Chaos, panic, & disorder - My work here is done
HEAD ZINCHEAD OF THE YELLOW POSSE
Save A Tree, Eat Some Beaver
TWOFIVE weeks and counting TB4's semi retirement party is comingBLOODY FORD

#15 User is offline   tommobot 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (a1ex88 @ May 17 2007, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion Pre 3500rpm the Puma doesnt really do much, but go past 3500rpm and it really gets going. If you want to get somewhere fast you really have to rev it.

Whereas in the Fiesta it seemed to have bags of grunt upto about 3500rpm, then it pulled quite well until about 6000rpm but unlike the Puma if you wanted you could shortshift in it and still feel like your making a good pace. For instance on a road with lots of roundabouts this would be most noticeable.

Watch this at 25seconds to see what I mean, it seems to have lots of grunt and gets going very smoothly

#16 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

A 1.6 Zetec wont have VCT. biggrin.gif
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#17 User is offline   vaspetrol 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

Like Tomobot says, the ZS is a lot more eager and nimble than an FRP. I noticed that on my first ZS. Not sure how it would be compared to a 1.6 Puma, I would say the Puma will handle better due to being lower, and stiffer. But a 1.7 Puma should pull away much faster.

The ZS is a fantastic little car, which is why I've had 2 of them, and also chose to have one as my 2nd car instead of a standard Puma. I'm just happy and lucky to have the FRP and the ZS biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by vaspetrol: 17 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

Vas
FRP #385 / FORD FIESTA ZETEC-S
Looked after by GK!!-In GK Ford I trust
BRAKES LOOKED AFTER BY DR.ALCON @ ELDUDE-BUILD!

PERFORMANCE FORD SHOW 2006-BEST PUMA WINNER
FORD FAIR CONCOURS CLASS WINNER 2006
WONDERLAND SPORTSCAR SHOW 2007-CONCOURS 2ND PLACE
BEST PARADE LAP FRP WINNER-CASTLE COMBE 2007
PUMAPEOPLE CALENDAR CAR 2009

Racing Puma Owners Club Membership Administrator

#18 User is offline   newpumaboy 

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

You do have to bear in mind Tommobot that the fiesta in that video is not standard, sounds like it has at least a zorst and an induction kit.

I think the Pooma will also look much fresher in 3 years from now, but the fiesta, well it will be replaced so often that it is bound to look older sooner. I do think it is difficult comparing 102bhp with 123bhp. It is a bit like comparing a VTR to a VTS (98 and 120 horse respectively).

Got to be the Pooma mate.

#19 User is offline   AGT 

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:53 AM

From what I've been told:

The 1.6L (100bhp ish) engine used in the Fiesta Zetec-S, was introduced to the Puma engine range when the 1.4L Puma was discontinued. So, the same engine used in the 1.6L Puma is that of the Fiesta Zetec-S.

However, the difference is that Puma chassis has been tweeked along with the suspension, brakes, steering etc to give the Puma a better & more 'planted' feel.

a 1.6 Puma should in theory be just as fast as the Fiesta Zetec-S, however the puma will out handle the Fiesta on the twisty bits by a mile
"Mr Paws" with 125BHP Claws!.
Driver with big grin!.
The Puma.......a future classic!

#20 User is offline   glover 

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

i thought that the mk5 z-s and puma shared exactly the same chasis (trailing arms, dampers, springs, etc)
the zs has 103 bhp whereas the puma has 123, but the zs is around 970ish kg and the puma 1039kg
it was my understanding that ford just nicked all the puma stuff and stuck it on the zs....if so cant see zs handling worse?
Ford Puma 1.7 2002
maybe one day ill understand women ...... actually, on second thoughts.......

Glover - tells it how it is...there is only one opinion thats right, and its mine

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic