Pumapeople: 180-200bhp Turbo Kit for Puma - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

180-200bhp Turbo Kit for Puma Market Research.

#1 User is offline   FastFordDan 

• Group: Members

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hi all, Im Dan from Fast Ford mag and i was chatting to someone yesterday who makes turbo kits/exhausts etc and wants to expand his Ford range

i suggested about a turbo kit for my Puma and he was seriously interested, but i had to say that i just dont think there would be a market for one

thinking about it tho, who would be interested in turboing their puma?

the kits would include the manifold, turbo, down pipe to attach to your existing system and an intercooler

on a stock engine you would only ba able to run low boost without melting it, but you would need additional management (megasquirt is cheap and more than good enough) and i guess the power would be around the 180-200bhp mark.

of course if you use low comp pistons and steel rods you will be looking at a lot more power.

so would anyone actually be interested? maybe a group buy if he decides to make a kit?

or would you just settle for a four branch manifold and keep it n/a?

any feed back would be good

currently the company makes turbos, intercoolers, radiators, manifolds and is quite big in the states

This post has been edited by FastFordDan: 19 October 2007 - 12:52 PM

#2 User is offline   Barnabus 

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:00 PM

defodefo interested an all in one turbo solution that would be reliable and able to run every day I would defo invest. How much would we be looking at price wise?

#3 User is offline   PaulG77 

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

Hard to gauge any interest unless he can give a ball-park price.

You'll get more interest at £1000 than £4000 for example...

#4 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:11 PM

mmm 123 BHP to 180 BHP form a low boost conversion... sounds good if it can be done smile.gif

FWIW Van Aaken Developments achieved around 150 BHP from their low boost kit when they produced them.

Does the kit come with a bleed valve and dump valve ? as the kit purchasers will no doubt want to increase the boost within a few weeks of fitting the kit cool.gif

Go for it - I'm all for 1.7 puma turbo conversions smile.gif
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#5 User is offline   Dom36 

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

Market research often provides free sample to see if the product could be succesful wink.gif
I don't have big money to spend on a turbo, however ... being a guinea pig ... laugh.gif
PSN Gamertag ... 75 pixels too high to be posted :(

GtAce36 Gamertag

#6 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

think i'm going to invest elsewhere... wink.gif

i have my eyes set on a Digital progressive cotroller from the wizards of nos... woot2.gif the new 'max extreme' controller should yeild some fantastic results.... and will be 'revo' ready next season when they launch their amazing smooth delivery system that will make other nitrous systems look rather dated.... huh.gif

ja_cool.gif ja_cool.gif

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#7 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

not a fan of nos; whats the point of having power if you cant use it all the time....?

not a fan of big turbos for the same reason....

prob with putting a turbo kit on is the steel rods - there stupidly expensive for a puma; not enough interest in playing with the engine to bring the price down yet...

i can see there being a lot of scrap 1.7 blocks if a lot of people turbo them; the nikasil struggles already!!!

but yet itd prob be far cheaper than doing it all n/a

sod it - im sticking to my v6 idea!!!!!!! (itl be cheaper too)

This post has been edited by jacko: 19 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

#8 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (jacko @ Oct 19 2007, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sod it - im sticking to my v6 idea!!!!!!! (itl be cheaper too)

roflmao.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#9 User is offline   Steev 

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:54 AM

I'd be happier with someone coming up with all the parts to make the CVH turbo fit the puma.

I'm in the proceeds of trying to make it work just now, but if you need a guinea puma I'l glady let someone else do the hard bit! wink.gif

looking forward to getting my RST lump fitted and the boost up a bit! Mahahaha
www.doghousebastards.com <-- free comedy podcast. not for the faint hearted.

#10 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

nooooo!!! a cvh should not be allowed in a puma...noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 User is offline   newts 

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

jacko - what about a zvh then?? At least that way the Puma retains some bit of Zetec power (albeit not zetec-se)!!

Ad

#12 User is offline   PumaVoodoo 

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

Dropping a heavy iron lump into the Puma is just wrong, no matter how its done.
S*** LRX, usually belting between Dover and Maidstone by any means except the M20

Weitec GT Coilovers, Powerflex bushes, Milltek full FRP exhaust, 280mm front brakes
Low slung, taught, powerful and stops on a dime.

#13 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

seconded....

the only reason the zvh was 'invented' was because no1 had experience of tweeking 16v heads - it was a bodge job!!!! now we can all tweek 16v heads easily why o why would anyone want anyhing else.......

you can get perfectly brilliant engines upto 2litres with a tweeked 16v head easily, why use a (completely shocking design of head) on an iron block just to get a bit more displacement than 1.6.....

the 8v cvh head is a horrible design - it has the hardest loading on the cam from the followers out there - itself losing you a good 5bhp, not to mention 8v, esp without vct is just making life harder for yourself at extra cost!!!!!

i got my old cvh upto bl**dy brilliant spec but it was a sh*t engine!!!!! i could destroy a camshaft on one roundabout the lubrication is designed so badly....

just say no!

id rather have a 1.4 se & slap a 1.7 head on to get vct than have a 2.0 zvh.....

#14 User is offline   PumaVoodoo 

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:55 PM

Indeed, the only reason the ZVH is at all interesting is as a technical exercise. The standard Zetec head flows far better as standard than a CVH stage 2 or 3 head, plus as Jacko says the cam lubrication in the CVH head is dire. There are a couple of decent engine builders who completely re-engineer this, but there's really no point when better engines exist and are available so cheaply

Dan: I'd be interested in a turbo kit for my Puma so long as the price is right...
S*** LRX, usually belting between Dover and Maidstone by any means except the M20

Weitec GT Coilovers, Powerflex bushes, Milltek full FRP exhaust, 280mm front brakes
Low slung, taught, powerful and stops on a dime.

#15 User is offline   FastFordDan 

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

Cheers for the feedback guys.

I guess it would a good idea to quote a price, and i reckon about £1000-£1500 seems feasable.

the only major problems that i can forsee is that there is a slight lack of space at the rear of the engine, but im sure its still possible to fit a turbo in there

as for things being adjustable, im not sure that is such a good idea, as with stock pistons and rods they wont be able to take much boost before the thing dets and melts - and most people like to (---) about, then blame someone else for why their engine has just fooked up!

ps, peeps do ZVH's as the turbo manifold obv just bolts straight on - but yes, the 8v head is pooh!

any more comments welcome biggrin.gif

#16 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (jacko @ Oct 20 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
seconded....

the only reason the zvh was 'invented' was because no1 had experience of tweeking 16v heads - it was a bodge job!!!! now we can all tweek 16v heads easily why o why would anyone want anyhing else.......

you can get perfectly brilliant engines upto 2litres with a tweeked 16v head easily, why use a (completely shocking design of head) on an iron block just to get a bit more displacement than 1.6.....

the 8v cvh head is a horrible design - it has the hardest loading on the cam from the followers out there - itself losing you a good 5bhp, not to mention 8v, esp without vct is just making life harder for yourself at extra cost!!!!!

i got my old cvh upto bl**dy brilliant spec but it was a sh*t engine!!!!! i could destroy a camshaft on one roundabout the lubrication is designed so badly....

just say no!

id rather have a 1.4 se & slap a 1.7 head on to get vct than have a 2.0 zvh.....

I'll pretend i haven't read this wink.gif

#17 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (FastFordDan @ Oct 23 2007, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess it would a good idea to quote a price, and i reckon about £1000-£1500 seems feasable.

You should get a good queue of people if you can get between 180 and 200 BHP for under £1500 smile.gif

Just need to see if anything actually comes of this ... cool.gif lets hope so smile.gif

This post has been edited by Turby: 23 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#18 User is offline   JamesMalin 

• View gallery

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

I'd be very interested as i've never owned a Turbo'd car before.....BUT.....it would need to be reliable and not a flash i nthe pan project that after a few problems the company doesn't want to know and the costs don't keep piling up to get it right/fixed.

£1500 would be reasonable if the handling of the Puma was sustained smile.gif
www.oc-motorsport.co.uk

For all Ford Servicing, repairs and conversions. Call or pm me for details. Based in Brentwood, Essex

www.stuffbymonkey.co.uk

Official Member Of The 'BIG HITTERS' Club

#19 Guest_jacko_*

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:24 PM

i cant see £1500 being anywhere near a realistic price!!!!

it would have to be very low boost otherwise the con rods need doing & thats half your £1500 gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbh you could easily (ish!!!) rob a diesel of its small turbo slap it on with some welding & have a toy & it could all be done over a period of staurday evenings for fun, now pay yourself for the time & effort - i wouldnt be selling a full kit for £1500 even for a quick bodge up like that..... im sure turby wouldnt sell his for twice that price....& im pretty sure thats why van aaken used to charge £3000 for a small turbo conversion....

im just thinking outloud but....

turbo - aint cheap! recons are cheaper but still has to go back to the factory......
intercooler - alloy?!!!!!!!! could use one from another car... but again recon prices start to add up.....
pipe work - a lot of effort, alloy welding etc - not gona b peanuts.....
extras - not a turbo fan but i know theres plenty of little bits that need to be bought or upgraded such as sensors....

thats about as much as i know for a cheap small boost job....

now if its getting serious (or not - extra maintenance when it goes bang...)
new rods & decent pistons .....£1000
engine rebuild to do above....£500 with engine out of car.....
new 1.7 block when the nikasil liners finally throw in the towel - £3500....!!!!

theres plenty of room at the back of the engine for a good turbo & piping build....
on a standard 1.7 theres a fair bit of room on the front to play with that bit
connecting the two wont be very easy.....not much room but can remove battery....
a thin intercooler might be doable if theres no aircon otherwise its a front end rebuild of the chassis (same as im doing to fit in an extra bank of cylinders!!!)

im exhausted after all that..... you know what would be a hell of a lot easier (ish!)........

take off the aircon compressor, slap on a small supercharger & plumb it straight into the inlet right next to it.......!!!
by golly i think thats a good idea!!!!!!!!!!

#20 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

Sounds good to me! At this price, if it's effectively a 'bolt-on' solution and proves to be reliable and not cause massively increased wear to other components then I may be interested.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic