Pumapeople: Cv Gaiters - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cv Gaiters

#1 User is offline   fordboi 

• Group: Members

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

My CV joint was replaced 6months ago. I reluctantly let a local garage do it as I didn't have time and needed the car back on the road quick. Anyway, much to my dissapointment it turns out that they re-used the old CV gaiter which, surprise surprise, how now split and grease is being spun all around the inside of my wheel and wheel arch. The question I have is.....should I dissasemble the CV joint and fit a new Ford gaiter, get one of the gaiters which you glue together, therefore no removal of CV joint or should I buy one of these stretch gaiters which I have found on ebay and posted a link to.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-PUMA-CV-BOOT-KI...%3A1%7C294%3A50

#2 User is offline   dancer 

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:20 PM

The purist would of course scream 'Ford'.

However, I have had fitted many of the 'stretch' cv boots over the last ten years
and have had no comeback. Just make sure the sealing contact areas are free form
grease, use decent retention clips and you are good to go.

Stay well away from the glue together variety.

#3 User is offline   fordboi 

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Any chance you could quickly explain to me how these stretch gaiters work and what might be involved. Are they a lot quicker than going all the way and fitting the Ford item?

#4 User is offline   happysan 

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

your gonna have to remove hub nut, pinch bolt and lever down the wishbone and pull out the shaft from the hub, its gonna get very messy if u dont know what your doin good luck anyway good.gif

#5 User is offline   fordboi 

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. I do most jobs on my car myself, I just haven't had to do anything to do with CV joints yet so it is good to know what is in store for me! I still haven't really figured out the point of stretch boots yet. Once you have got to the point of removing the hub and bottom ball joint, why not just take the CV joint off the driveshaft and do it properly??

#6 User is offline   dancer 

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

To fit the stretch boots you need a cone to allow the boot to slide and stretch
over the cv joint. In the workshop I use a compressed air expander tool which is
much faster.

Without these tools, you may as well knock off the joint as normal and fit
the ford item.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic