• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple I Pod which one? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mjh24 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:10 AM

Ok i know it has been discussed many times here before buts its like 3am and i need to sleep so cant be arsed to search the whole forum for the topics, i have been looking at i pods ok ok i know i have been faithfull to mp3 players made by creative, until now, i have had no problems with it but have now decided to have a look at the 'fashionable' i pod.

basically i have found this:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...er/Product.html

I need to know how easy the software is to use with these, is it simply drag and drop, like the creative software is, and what do you generally get in the box, as i know a lot of these players do not even come with a power supply anymore! I am going to get one today, so if anyone could answer my questions or suggest an alternative, or even suggest where i could find this even cheaper, the help would be greatly appreciated biggrin.gif
tIA

This post has been edited by mjh24: 13 October 2007 - 02:12 AM

i have nothing to say right now

#2 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

I've had one of these 160Gb Classic iPods for a month now.

iPods are designed to work with iTunes which is free and easy to use IMO. If you get stuck you can easily read up support HERE...

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed with mine...(used on my Mac)
1. I've got 100Gb of stuff on it and it has a VERY laggy interface. It can take up to about 20 seconds to play a song you've selected...navigating can be like trying to run through treacle.
2. There has already been 3 updates for this model and the problems still persist but it's getting slightly better. I've formatted it twice and re-synced it (taking hours) problem is still there.
3. Photo slideshow music still doesn't play properly.
4. They changed the video output for this model slightly so no video accessories work with it anymore (like the ones I've already got...)
5. It takes about 60 seconds or more to mount/unmount the iPod after syncing- TOOO SLOWW
6. It is way too fussy about the type of video you can put on it, HAS to be H.264 format, even Apple's own Quicktime doesn't work. It took 3 days solid to convert all my videos 1112202173.gif
7. Functionality on the previous model iPod has been removed from this one when docked with my iPod Hi-Fi (which is very good) for some strange reason.

Unless you really need 160Gb of capacity I'd stay away from this model...I think the internal drive must spin at 1rpm which is why it's go laggy rolleyes.gif
Maybe stick with a flash-based iPod, i.e. Shuffle, Nano, Touch.

#3 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:56 AM

I'd agree with the man above.

My 80Gb is full, but play time is instant. I doubt Apple increased the memory by much when fitting the double sized disc and therefore the track find code is probably laggy.

#4 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

Do creative not make something to rival the Ipod? always nice to be different! I use a sony hdd player but its only 8gb.

#5 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

Got a 20Gb Sony, but its user interface is not brilliant

#6 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:15 AM

Creative make some good players (my 20gb zen was great - a properly hardy piece of kit). Shame the software is so w**k.
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#7 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

I too am looking for an mp3 player. All I need is something with 30gb or more storage and a clear display so I can read it at a glance whilst driving. No video functionality is necessary although it seems to be obligatory. The iPod seems to be best on price (being tight, I don't want to spend much!) but I didn't really want yet another software package. Drag and drop through windows explorer would be fine by me.

Went to Curries to try some out as it's impossible to tell about the displays on the net, but they don't allow you to switch them on! The 'assistant' said I could hold one if I liked. I said there was bugger-all point if I couldn't turn it on.

Must admit I'd prefer a solid state player (Nano?) but they don't have the storage.

Be interested as to how you get on and what you go for.
Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

#8 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (mikey2cv @ Oct 13 2007, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Must admit I'd prefer a solid state player (Nano?) but they don't have the storage.

You might want to hold on a tad longer if you want flash based storage as it's currently up to about 40GB in size and still under development. It's only a matter of time before the current 16GB limit on flash-based iPods is breached.

The only problem is Apple are buying up all stock of flash memory in the World so your choice may be limited... sad.gif

By the very nature of portable music players they will have small screens to keep the overall size and weight down, your best bet may be an iPod-compatible head unit so you plug the iPod in, chuck it in your glovebox and control everything via the head unit display and controls.

This post has been edited by BOK: 13 October 2007 - 12:19 PM

#9 User is offline   mjh24 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:06 PM

ok have not ordered yet but prob will in the next few days.......

I just find creative (i have a creative zen vision m 30gB at present) so easy to use, the software is simple to work out and the player is also so easy to use, I may even now get a bigger creative zen wacko.gif

#10 User is offline   Spooky70 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Oh, you guys are making me feel like a right dinosaur! I still have my 4GB iPod mini! And my iTunes only has around 6GB on it!!

I am looking for a new one tho, my battrey last's between 10 seconds and 90 mins on a full charge. Needs a new one but I think it has to go back to Apple and its about £50?? So its seems prudent to get a new classic as the 80GB is only £165 ish.

But then my lappie is old and only has a 40GB drive!!

Still, at least my 110 camera still takes great pics...... roflmao.gif
Paul
R6PNW Silver 1.7

Old age is like climbing a mountain. The higher you get, the more tired and breathless you become, but your views become more extensive

#11 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (BOK @ Oct 13 2007, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
your best bet may be an iPod-compatible head unit so you plug the iPod in, chuck it in your glovebox and control everything via the head unit display and controls.

I'm using an Dension ilink adapter for my ipod - you control it through the stereo controls. It's pretty good, if slightly dim-witted - there is a delay of a few seconds when skipping tracks, but nothing major.

I'd recommend one if you want to use an ipod in your car.
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#12 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Spooky70 @ Oct 13 2007, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am looking for a new one tho, my battrey last's between 10 seconds and 90 mins on a full charge. Needs a new one but I think it has to go back to Apple and its about £50??

You can get kits to replace the battery if you're a bit handy with DIY...the trouble with buying a new iPod is you may also need to upgrade your iTunes to suit...which may also mean upgrading your operating system...so on and so forth... rolleyes.gif

Apple won't entertain anything that's out of warranty basically so DIY may be the only option.

Have a look at the Apple Refurb store for a bargain (go the the normal store, scroll down and the link is on the bottom right) they all come with 12 months warranty cool.gif

#13 User is offline   Spooky70 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

Thats a damn good idea Col, had no idea you could DIY it. It looks like a totally sealed unit with no access, so didn't even consider it. I will take a look at the Refurb site too, so I can store my massive 6GB library on my pod!!!
Paul
R6PNW Silver 1.7

Old age is like climbing a mountain. The higher you get, the more tired and breathless you become, but your views become more extensive

#14 User is offline   PumaVoodoo 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:22 PM

FWIW I've got a 2nd gen (now old hat) Nano with 4Gb of storage, competing with a 27Gb iTunes library. Never really been an issue, its very rare that I want to listen to something and don't have it, unless I've not updated the sync list for a while. I'd far rather have a flash based player, they're far more resiliant (my Nano's survived two trips through the washing machine in various pockets, along with countless drops and general usage)
S*** LRX, usually belting between Dover and Maidstone by any means except the M20

Weitec GT Coilovers, Powerflex bushes, Milltek full FRP exhaust, 280mm front brakes
Low slung, taught, powerful and stops on a dime.

#15 User is offline   Spooky70 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

Survived the washing machine?? Hell, I'm impressed. Is the new Nano still flash based then? Excuse my ignorance!
Paul
R6PNW Silver 1.7

#16 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Spooky70 @ Oct 13 2007, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats a damn good idea Col, had no idea you could DIY it. It looks like a totally sealed unit with no access, so didn't even consider it. I will take a look at the Refurb site too, so I can store my massive 6GB library on my pod!!!

The battery kits come with tools to disassemble and instructions but...
£99 for a refurb nano 8Gb
Sell your old one on eBay...

#17 User is offline   Spooky70 

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

Bit of a no brainer really then. Cheers mate. biggrin.gif
Paul
R6PNW Silver 1.7

#18 User is offline   mjh24 

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

ordered the 160gb classic, with engraving of course biggrin.gif should be here in the morning

So whats this thingy that you can buy to make your i pod play through your car stereo? I am sure these things are for sale on the apple website but there are so many and i am not sure what I am supposed to be looking at! Are they easy to install and how effective are they?

I wont be getting one yet but you guys seem to have the knowledge to advise me on these (to me) complicated issues, my first priority is a decent pair of earphones, i got a really nice set with my samsung G600 but they wont fit into an mp3 player, they do but it dont give much spare lead to play with!

Seen some nice, but expensive ones, oh will will have to stack a few more shelves if i want these expensive things laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mjh24: 15 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

#19 User is offline   Spooky70 

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:26 PM

I just ordered the new Nano in red. Was only £30 more than the refurb. I'd never ever ever fill an 80GB one!

I have some Sony in ear phones. Can remember what model, but they were £25 from Amazon and are pretty decent. They have 3 different sized fittings to get a good snug fit.

Bose do some really nice ones, but they were far too expensive when its mainly for gym use!

The standard iPod ones are totally rubbsih IMO.

This post has been edited by Spooky70: 15 October 2007 - 10:26 PM

Paul
R6PNW Silver 1.7

#20 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

I went the other way and ordered a 4gB Nano. If your stereo has a 3.5mm audio input these look to be the business. They can also be used with a cassette adapter.
Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic