Pumapeople: Keeping old tyres for track days - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Keeping old tyres for track days Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:09 PM

My current front tyres are about to be replaced as have 2mm of tread on the insides, what to do with my old tyres ja_stupid.gif (lol these lasted only 9k miles)
is it worth keeping them for track use (though I think they would only laast one day) or shall I just bin them as it is false economy thinking I could get a day out of them as it could compromise my experience and that would cost more than the tyres ja_stupid.gif

any thoughts greatly appreaciated smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#2 User is offline   R5CPD 

• Group: Members

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:12 PM

I'd keep them. You might as well knacker an old set of tyres, than your new set. biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:19 PM

Could make interesting driving on track with the old ones on a wet day.. :help: :help:

i would think fine for a few laps round silverstone on Ford Fair in the summer cool2.gif cool2.gif

:mrgreen:
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#4 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:21 PM

Could make interesting driving on track with the old ones on a wet day..  :help:  :help:  

i would think fine for a few laps round silverstone on Ford Fair in the summer  :cool2:  :cool2:  

:mrgreen:

Obviously if there was a monsoon, then using tyres with 2mm would'nt be too clever. wink.gif
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:24 PM

yes I was thinking about Mallory as that was very wet ja_stupid.gif and Silverstone was so hot it stripped pretty much 2mm of them in one go :shock:

a few laps wink.gif that is in August hope to have been out again at least once before then smile.gif

em.. if I had another wheel then I could take them as spares so to speak and keep them.......
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:29 PM

The old Eagle Tourings on the Thunder stood up well to both Ford Fair and Trax, given the very warm conditions. ;

Slightly OT, but I'm thinking about these for my next track biased tyres:

www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=car.R888&PHPSESSID=898218a4586a4c3a6114ef0937fdab84
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:43 PM

I have a thought on that sort of tyre pattern. Given that the F1's I saw were wrecked at Mallory from being 'pushed' into the middle and squared off (like a motorbike tyre when it needs changing) I am wondering if this tyre of tread pattern does not allow the side wall to flex properly under pressure and distribute the sideways force to the centre of the tyre. So instead with that type with a pattern with no full running grooves it just mushes the tread badly within about a 1/3 of the width ja_stupid.gif

#8 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:52 PM

I know we spoke about this on Saturday and I was curious on your opinion. wink.gif

These R888 are billed as a 'track-day' tyre, so it's construction and performance should be different to the road going 'performance' tyre of the F1. wink.gif

I'm a big F1 fan and found it's road going performance to be good on the three different cars I've fitted them to. Perhaps the track is just bit too harsh for them. It would be interesting to see what these Toyo's are like. wink.gif
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:55 PM

they don't have the right size for the FRP.... yet...

#10 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:06 PM

they don't have the right size for the FRP.... yet...

..... but do for other Puma wheel size's. :wink:

Other sizes coming soon however. biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   David 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:09 PM

I would chuck 'em. The grip levels currently offered by my 1.7mm P7000's are quite scary, they would probably take the fun away from the track day anyway as you would have to corner a fair bit slower compared to if you had newish tyres.
David - Clio Trophy now sold! Megane R26 on the way - ETA March 1st 2008.
Ex-FRS #2787 - Ex-FRP #383

#12 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:13 PM

I would chuck 'em. The grip levels currently offered by my 1.7mm P7000's are quite scary, they would probably take the fun away from the track day anyway as you would have to corner a fair bit slower compared to if you had newish tyres.

As it's not a timed session, does this matter? At least you would have fun sliding the car about. wink.gif

I'd agree with you David if Kate was going to use those tyres in a competitive situation where the car needs to be a 100%. :wink:
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   David 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

As it's not a timed session, does this matter? At least you would have fun sliding the car about. wink.gif

I'd agree with you David if Kate was going to use those tyres in a competitive situation where the car needs to be a 100%. :wink:

True enough, suppose it would be pretty fun. laugh.gif I couldn't bear to be beaten though, not as good for hanging onto the back of other cars. 8)
David - Clio Trophy now sold! Megane R26 on the way - ETA March 1st 2008.
Ex-FRS #2787 - Ex-FRP #383

#14 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:22 PM

We'll have to get Kate to sign up to a Drifting Championship to wear her old tyres out!! biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   frp1 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:18 PM

i would bin them, after my spin at donny. mine just lasted me the day, but the is only about 1.5mm left now. I will change them over the winter ready for the track days next year:)
Ben Addison (Electrical Contractors Ltd)
FRP042
07889 845712 or 01924 485726

#16 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:20 PM

Would make good plant pots for the garden. Apparently the rubber gives good insulation properties agains frost attacking the roots... cool2.gif

#17 User is offline   R5CPD 

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:26 AM

Would make good plant pots for the garden.  Apparently the rubber gives good insulation properties agains frost attacking the roots... cool2.gif

I saw this on Blue Peter once. smile.gif
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Lantik 

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:05 AM

There's only one way to do a track day and it isn't in a car.

http://www.pbase.com/willsolomon/image/32135214

Brands Indy circuit taken in August.
Stephen
DRIVE SAFE

#19 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:33 AM

Depends on whether you have a spare set of rims to put them on. If you havn't in mine experience its not worth the effort / hassle / expense in swapping between the two sets each time - I used to keep them but found I never used them cos I always had better tyres to run. Worn tyres are just that... well past their best.

Doesn't make sense to me to do a track day on dead rubber - as the car will not perform as well as it could, which to me is the whole reason for doing such events.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#20 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:21 PM

yep, they are gone smile.gif new ones fitted today smile.gif and decided on close inspection they really were not worth keeping. Thanks for all your thoughts smile.gif

Ben sounds like your tyres could be illegal, and over the winter you will need the water dispersing properties of new tyres (as I don't think you want the 3 points per bald tyre), change them time thinks. Also you don't want new tyres when you go on track, as you will scrub loads off :shock: where as slightly worn ones are better smile.gif (from my reseaarching)

Stephen, yep want to do Brand's Indy circuit next year smile.gif lol don't think I'll be let loose on the bike though wink.gif

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic