• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Air bag warning light

#1 User is offline   weaselchops 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:03 AM

Hey all,

My air bag warning light has decided to come on. I've given it a couple of days in the hope it might decide to go off on it's own (wishful thinking) but it is deternined to stay on.

I always try and have a look at problems before paying ridiculous amounts of money to dealers, but in this case I need some help. ja_stupid.gif

I have no idea where the sensors are, or how accessible they will be. I will be kicking myself if it turns out to be a loose connection or something equally as daft, so any pointers would be HUGELY appreciated..... :mrgreen:

Yours hopefully, the weasel

#2 User is offline   deluded 

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:11 PM

Could be a variety of things.. and messing around with airbags is obviously a bad idea!

If you have a digital dash you could get the dtc codes off it to see if that offers any more info.

The other thing that springs to mind is the connection between the steering wheel airbag and the steering column - I think there's a couple of rotory contacts in there that allow you to move the wheel without breaking wires etc.
ex Silver 1.7 / ex FRP #416 / Astra SRi CDTI 150

#3 User is offline   weaselchops 

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:08 PM

Could be a variety of things.. and messing around with airbags is obviously a bad idea!
:rotflmao:

LOL! Don't worry, I have no intention of getting too technical with this one.....!! Just wanted to rule out anything obvious before handing the car over. :wink:

#4 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:27 PM

Have a look under both seats and make sure you havent disturbed the wiring that links the seat to the air bag / seat belt pre tensioners.

If its come lose its just a case of pushing back together, cheaper than 80 quid at your dealer ;-)

#5 User is offline   captainsimon 

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:00 PM

Have a look under both seats and make sure you havent disturbed the wiring that links the seat to the air bag / seat belt pre tensioners.

If its come lose its just a case of pushing back together, cheaper than 80 quid at your dealer ;-)

Do as Matt said, but also disconnect the seatbelt pre tensioners ( they are small yellow conectors one under each front seat).
When you have disconnected these put a very small amount of electricial greese on the connecting spade and put back together.

Because most of the time the spades oxadise and loose their connection this is normally the first thing a dealer does when investigating an airbag light, do it yourself you can't go wrong.

PM me if you want more info.

#6 User is offline   weaselchops 

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Guys cool2.gif

No luck though, all appears normal.....ho-hum....I feel a visit to Fords is coming..... :cry2:

#7 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:59 PM

You could always remove the airbag control module.. that will stop the light from coming on... (NOTE: this would also stop the airbag and pre-tensioners from working)
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#8 User is offline   Robert 

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:33 PM

I think you will find the warning light will still be on as this will be recognised as a fault buy the ecu :wink:

But im sure you will enlighten me 9.gif

#9 User is offline   weaselchops 

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:34 PM

You could always remove the airbag control module.. that will stop the light from coming on... (NOTE: this would also stop the airbag and pre-tensioners from working)

Not as daft as it sounds....my problem is the car is due for MOT this week, and I've been told it will fail if the air bag light is showing. Doing this will get me through the MOT...I can then reconnect it until my next service which is approx. 6 weeks away and have it sorted then...it's all in the timing!! :mrgreen:

Usual story though, I don't know where that module is!! One of the many little black boxes no doubt....could some kind soul point me at it?? ja_stupid.gif

Thank you!!

#10 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

Not sure where it is .... but it might be behind the glovebox... does nayone actually know ? (rather than relying on TIS...?)

#11 User is offline   captainsimon 

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:12 PM

The TIS say pumas build up to 08/1999 the airbag control unit is behind the glove box, held in by 3 torx screws

All pumas build after this date the airbag control unit should be at the back of the centre console just next to the clutch pedal.

#12 User is offline   Robert 

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:20 PM

Not sure where it is .... but it might be behind the glovebox... does nayone actually know ? (rather than relying on TIS...?)

The early ones are behind the dashboard and on the later models its infront of the gearstick, removing them will not put the light out.

Toby I thought you would have known that ja_stupid.gif

#13 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:29 AM

Not sure where it is .... but it might be behind the glovebox... does anyone actually know ? (rather than relying on TIS...?)

The early ones are behind the dashboard and on the later models its infront of the gearstick, removing them will not put the light out.

Toby I thought you would have known that ja_stupid.gif

not actually tried yet, but looking at TIS the wire that operates the indication is powered purely by the Air Bag Contrl Unit.

#14 User is offline   Robert 

Posted 23 December 2004 - 05:13 PM

y"][quote][quote]Not sure where it is .... but it might be behind the glovebox... does anyone actually know ? (rather than relying on TIS...?)[/quote]

Toby I thought you would have known that ja_stupid.gif[/quote]

not actually tried yet, but looking at TIS the wire that operates the indication is powered purely by the Air Bag Contrl Unit.[/quote]

Via the ECU :wink: Try it and you will see :wink:

#15 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 23 December 2004 - 05:58 PM

[quote][quote][quote]Not sure where it is .... but it might be behind the glovebox... does anyone actually know ? (rather than relying on TIS...?)[/quote]

Toby I thought you would have known that ja_stupid.gif[/quote]

not actually tried yet, but looking at TIS the wire that operates the indication is powered purely by the Air Bag Contrl Unit.[/quote]

Via the ECU :wink: Try it and you will see :wink:[/quote]

Until I try it then (according to TIS) I will beg to differ... (though wouldn't be the first time TIS was wrong...) besides I can guarantee 100% my ECU doesn't provide power to the airbag module... smile.gif

#16 User is offline   Robert 

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:12 PM

Go Turby Go laugh.gif

#17 User is offline   grizzlybear 

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:06 PM

Not as daft as it sounds....my problem is the car is due for MOT this week, and I've been told it will fail if the air bag light is showing. Doing this will get me through the MOT...I can then reconnect it until my next service which is approx. 6 weeks away and have it sorted then...it's all in the timing!!

airbags are not required for M.O.T.

obviously not a good idea to ignore it for ever but .....................

i have this problem on the mrs saab for 3 years now. but the saab is like a tank so not needed :roll:

good way to test your mot garage smile.gif

#18 User is offline   ALAN at PUMABUILD 

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:31 PM

Air bag light is not an MOT failure

Nor removing the ecu or disconecting it will distinguish the tale tale light.

#19 User is offline   weaselchops 

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:40 PM

Air bag light is not an MOT failure

Nor removing the ecu or disconecting it will distinguish the tale tale light.

Thanks again all of you for the replies....it looks as though I was given bum advice on the MOT situation...that's good news!

The actual problem will have to wait until next service....

As you can see I have only been a member a short time, but people's willingness to help has been a breath of fresh air in a time when most people couldn't care less.....cheers!!! 10.gif

#20 User is offline   ryanjjones 

Posted 27 December 2004 - 12:43 PM

My airbag light has come on today too! Hoped it was just because it was cold, but still on after warm up.

I can get the LCD dash into test mode, but no idea what half of the codes mean - is there an FAQ or a particular code I should look for?

I was also under the impression that if a car was fitted with airbags, then they must work for MOT to be passed - hence the "hard documented" airbag details on the top of the dash. However, I am not an expert here. (obviously!)

I also am aware that after brake-testing a while ago the maps on the parcel shelf are now under the drivers seat; and as my & the missus have different seat positions it is entirely possible that the maps have broken/disconnected/loosened a cable... So I will try there first.

But - does the dash provide a decent error code to say what connector is failing?

Thanks!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic