Pumapeople: Idling Very Lumpy And No Throttle - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Idling Very Lumpy And No Throttle

#1 User is offline   beckyboo 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

Hi guys, hoping someone can help! My Puma will start, but it is then idling very lumpy and there is no throttle response at all. Initially the car wouldn't start at all, but after swapping the fuse from the fuel pump, it did start. The same thing happened a couple of months ago, but changing the fuse in the fuel pump cured the problem straight away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I need to get to work tomorrow!

#2 User is offline   beckyboo 

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

Quick update..... car is not starting at all now. It started very briefly, then cut out straight away. Now it is turning over, but won't start at all. Should it be easy to hear the fuel pump priming up when you turn the ignition? Because as far as I can tell, I can't hear it. So maybe fuel pump needs replacing?

Any suggestions please?

#3 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

modern day fuel pumps don't generally go they are pretty reliable. I suggest changing the fuel filter first which is just under the car, held on by a clip infront the fuel tank. It takes 5 minutes to replace and cost about £5 from halfords. I would do that for kicks to be fair.

But it sounds to me like it could be the throttle position sensor on the side of the throttle body. As you open the bonnet, you have 4 tubes coming from the engine at the front. If you look to your right there is the entrance of the air where the throttle plate is, the throttle cable goes to that area. If your unsure get someone to move the throttle pedal and you will see it. Nearest to you there is a little black sensor connected to it. It sounds like that is faulty. If you start the car, then unplug it the car will die.
Posted Image
All stuff puma - puma technical & all things rebuilt...
See my website for Snow School Information

#4 User is offline   beckyboo 

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

Thanks very much for your reply. Will check those things out next. I have my mechanic coming to look at it tomorrow, so will feed this info back to him as well and see how we get on.

Thanks again :-)

#5 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

View Postvolcomstone411, on 07 June 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

But it sounds to me like it could be the throttle position sensor on the side of the throttle body.

And cheap here (Ford Finis 7173046 - 95BF-9B989-JB):
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   somersetjay 

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

did you sort the problem mate? in the passengers foot well on the left hand side where you plug the diagnostics in, theirs like a red button. make sure that's pushed down. had the same problem on my car.

#7 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

i reckon coil pack

#8 User is offline   beckyboo 

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Ended up being the fuel pump. After replacing that, it was fine. However(!).......car has now broken down again :-( I am the boyfriend of the owner (Rebecca) and she is currently being towed to a garage in the area where she was working today and they are going to look at it. Apparently the engine cut out while she was driving. Then started again and she carried on driving, but cut out once more and kept doing this. Now waiting to hear back from Rebecca to see if garage have found out what the issue is....

#9 User is offline   SkunkMunkey3000 

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

My girlfriends MGF was cutting out randomly like that for a while, tried a few different things to fix it but it turned out to be the ECU in the end, managed to get a second hand one with all the bits for about £30 but I know they're quite a bit more for the Puma, fixed the problem though and hasn't cut out since.

#10 User is offline   beckyboo 

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

Quick update......

turns out that the replacement fuel pump, although working fine for it's primary function, isn't reading correctly with the fuel guage. So even though the fuel guage was showing almost half a tank, she had actually run out of fuel!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic