Pumapeople: Core Plugs Removal - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Core Plugs Removal worth doing?

#1 User is offline   Jim1982 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

Hi, I recently had my cambelt done and was told that my coreplugs were leaking which would cause my engine to misfire.

I'd had the car for just over a month already and never had a misfire during that time (and a considerable amount of driving), but the day after I got it back from this service it misfired for the first time.. seems a bit suspect to me. wink.gif

Anyway, seeing as I didn't have this misfiring problem before the service, is it worth taking out my core plugs to clean etc and then make sure they are put back in tightly?

I'm a total novice so apologies if this is a stupid question.

It just seemed too much of a coincidence that the misfiring began the day after I got it back, after they'd specifically told me that it would happen (and it never had before).

Maybe I'm just paranoid....

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

I have had core plug leak but so little that yes there was coolant on top of my spark plugs but not enoguh to miss fire....
unless they changed your spark plugs as far as I can think there would be no need during a normal service to remove the plastic rocker cover into which you can see if you were leaking coolant and the offending core plug ja_stupid.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   Jim1982 

• Group: Members

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:44 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. It wasn't just a standard service, I had the cambelt changed as well so I guess thats why they highlighted the core plug problem.

I don't really want to pay them Å“70 to fit me new core plugs blink.gif

I'm just thinking they must have done something to the plugs during my service as I hadn't had a problem with it before that . Could they have taken them out then put them back in incorrectly?

Perhaps they were somehow made worse during the cambelt change?

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:48 PM

mine leaked and had not caused a miss fire but it was only a matter of time till there was enough fluid that they would.

could try a search on 'core' and see what you return in case you are handy with a spanner and fix it yourself smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic