Pumapeople: Gearbox Problems - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gearbox Problems

#1 User is offline   Mollie 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

I have had a1.7 Vreg puma since June. I had a major service and cam belt change in August as there was 53000 on the clock. Just before Christmas I had a problem changing down a gear as I exited the motorway after a 45 minute drive. The problem seemed to right itself and I carried on driving! On the return trip the gearbox seized completely as I slowed down to enter a roundabout and had to be towed home by the RAC. The garage said that the problem was the clutch and that the gearbox was now lubricated and working fine. So, I had a new clutch.
However, yesterday the same thing happened again. I couldn't change down when entering a roundabout. so had to pull over. After 10 minutes all was ok and I drove the car to the same garage. They still say that there is no problem with the gearbox so not sure what to do next.

Sorry for the essay. Would be grateful for any thoughts or advice!

Love my puma!!

#2 User is offline   Neil 

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

Possibly the syncromesh on second?
2006 - 2008 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux | 2008 - 2010 Ford Racing Puma #0013 | 2010 - 2012 Mini Cooper S | 2012 - ? RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup

#3 User is offline   Mollie 

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:55 PM

Thanks. The car is still with the garage. I'll ask if they have checked this out.

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

when you had a new clutch fitted did they fit a new clutch release bearing?

My other gearbox the 3rd gear syncro was a tad flaky when on track. Only when totally hot did I have trouble.
New gearbox I pretty much always blip when changing down, particularily on track. Track use is hard on gearboxes though.
However normal road driving I would not think should cause the syncro to wear out unless the driver was very unsympathetic ja_stupid.gif

not sure you can see the syncro mesh unless you strip the box down ja_stupid.gif
sorry not a lot of help
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   Mollie 

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

Thanks. All help much appreciated.
biggrin.gif

#6 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:48 AM

a synchromesh is basically a brass ring that acts as a mini clutch, when your changing gear the force you put on the stick makes the synchro rub on the gear its attached to to slow it down to the same speed and allow it to engage

these rings - baulk rings are about £7 each but the whole gearbox needs stripping to get to them!! - £50 for bearings etc, gets expensive

if it is the synchro ud find it very hard to change gear - lots of grinding etc as the teeth rubbed past each other at different speeds

i would have said it was the clutch if youd not heard any grinding noises

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic